• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider (1996)
  3. Tomb Raider WILL work on modern platforms

User Info: mgarribaldi

mgarribaldi
9 years ago#1

If anybody stumbles across this post then read on, it's just to say that you can still play Tomb Raider 1 on the latest Windows platforms. Why would you want to? Because it is aclssic and if you have never played it then you should, it inspired a lot of ideas in gameplay and was one of the most rated games of its time.

Now you can still play this truly unmissable game on your modern PC with the help of a little extra software. For the die-hard hardware-hack fans you will need a Glide wrapper and a virtual DOS emulator... oh yes, and probably a version of VDMSound that works with modern pc's... oh and a VGA plug-in for you ultra-modern graphics card to get sub-vesa and vesa modes working properly because modern cards don't support them... and a lot of swearing... and beer... and a LOT of spare time...

For the rest of the community who just want to play the game, go get GLIDOS and JoyToKey, install them and then go play the game directly from your original CD!

Install GLIDOS, then DON'T install Tomb Raider! You WILL need the original disk to play but you don't install it. You install the main files using GLIDOS then set it up to run on your platform. You then leave the CD in the drive and run the game using GLIDOS.

For those of you who don't know, GLIDOS is both a Virtual DOS emulator, and a Glide wrapper, and a sound mapper, all built into one convenient package.. All you have to do is install it and run your game (original CD's ARE required, this is NOT a hacking tool, it is a virtual machine!)

GLIDOS runs other old games as well, so go check out Google and find out.

If you own a game controller (I use a Windows USB PS2 controller myself) then you WILL need JoyToKey to map the controller to the game keys, GLIDOS has no natural interface for a controller or joystick. JoyToKey will map the necessarycontroller buttons directly tothe game keysin any configuration you want, INCLUDING MOUSE EMULATION (not that you need it for TR1 but it will do that if you need it to)

JoyToKey is getting harder to find, it's best you Google it because every link I tried except for ONE is out of date... and that link may not last long... best of luck finding it. It is FREE so no problems with licenses and stuff.

I hope this post helps somebody out there...

1. Boards
  2. Tomb Raider (1996)
  3. Tomb Raider WILL work on modern platforms
  • Topic Archived