• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: The Origami King
  3. This game is going to be average

User Info: CC01

CC01
3 weeks ago#1
Nintendo refuses to listen to their fans, and that's sad. But this game makes a couple improvements over CS that make me finally view this as a good game. (Probably. Can't tell without playing it.)
Old-school Paper Mario fan. Equally love all 3.
The Origami King looks very promising.

User Info: luigi33

luigi33
3 weeks ago#2
I don't want a "paper mario rpg" game though. We have 3 of those, I say let them continue to experiment. The "literal" paper mario trilogy has only improved since SS days, and it has room for even further improvement.
3DS FC: 5370-0672-9935
Steam ID: Xcyper33

CC01
3 weeks ago#3
Fun fact: "Paper Mario RPG is TTYD's Japanese name".

It's cool that they improved, especially in the locations department. But idk why they had to improve on the one game that was the rock bottom of the series. This way it took them 8-10 years to almost reach the quality of the original game.

Also, the "we already have 3 of those" argument works both ways now. There are a lot of things in TTYD they could've improved upon, and flaws they could've fixed. Sad we probably won't get one of those.

User Info: Pikachufanboy

Pikachufanboy
3 weeks ago#4
Sticker Star sold pretty well so I could see why they'd try to keep going after that, but Color Splash bombed, doing it again seems pretty risky.

User Info: marionose84

marionose84
3 weeks ago#5
Look, I get it--people are upset over the experience points being absent. Literally every other part of the game looks promising, though, and the game is more of an adventure/platform game as well as Zelda-esque puzzle-solver.

The amount of effort that went into the puzzles, large, detailed environments, script, character interactions, puzzle wheel in the battle systems, strategy for the bosses, etc makes this much better-looking than "Meh, just average" whether you hate the combat or not. Even those upset with the lack of experience who received this game early have given it high praise for literally everything else.

And again--let's stop pretending that Mario is the epitome of RPG's, shall we?
Want a traditional, spiritual sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3? Try my Super World now: 1VP-CQB-H3G

luigi33
3 weeks ago#6
CC01 posted...
Fun fact: "Paper Mario RPG is TTYD's Japanese name".

It's cool that they improved, especially in the locations department. But idk why they had to improve on the one game that was the rock bottom of the series. This way it took them 8-10 years to almost reach the quality of the original game.

Also, the "we already have 3 of those" argument works both ways now. There are a lot of things in TTYD they could've improved upon, and flaws they could've fixed. Sad we probably won't get one of those.
Yeah but at the end of the day the SS-CS-TOK are more adventure games with turn-based combat, not RPGs.

PM1 and TTYD are JRPGs.

Because of this they are susceptible to be compared with other JRPG games. In that case there's PLENTY of RPG games that are better than the Paper Mario games. I'd rather they improve on a unique formula then expand on JRPG Paper Mario because there's PLENTY of options and better games to play in that genre.

User Info: marionose84

marionose84
3 weeks ago#7
Pikachufanboy posted...
Sticker Star sold pretty well so I could see why they'd try to keep going after that, but Color Splash bombed, doing it again seems pretty risky.
Nintendo 3DS was a massively popular system. Wii U was the opposite. In fact--3DS did BETTER than the Wii U in numerous regards. Color Splash was released near the end of life on a massively unpopular (for whatever baffling reason) console. Its bombing should NOT be used as a measure of quality. The general consensus from nearly everyone who's played it is that it's an improvement over Sticker Star.
Want a traditional, spiritual sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3? Try my Super World now: 1VP-CQB-H3G

User Info: DOTBHDD

DOTBHDD
3 weeks ago#8
I'm just really disappointed. A lot of fans are eating up this new gameplay style. Which is fine, but it basically puts the nail in the coffin for a Mario Story type RPG again. If sales are amazing, putting in effort for the old ways is pointless. The new s*** just ain't hot for me.

I will say though that I am happy for new Paper Mario fans. I just hope Nintendo can revive an old RPG or make a new series similar to how Mario Story played. I wouldn't even mind Nintendo funding Bug Fables so we can get that series in a Nintendo polish. Just kinda sucks I don't have a new RPG to play for a while and Paper Mario isn't filling that hole at the moment.

CC01
3 weeks ago#9
marionose84 posted...
Look, I get it--people are upset over the experience points being absent. Literally every other part of the game looks promising, though, and the game is more of an adventure/platform game as well as Zelda-esque puzzle-solver.

The amount of effort that went into the puzzles, large, detailed environments, script, character interactions, puzzle wheel in the battle systems, strategy for the bosses, etc makes this much better-looking than "Meh, just average" whether you hate the combat or not. Even those upset with the lack of experience who received this game early have given it high praise for literally everything else.

And again--let's stop pretending that Mario is the epitome of RPG's, shall we?

That's the point. Zelda-like action-adventure games and turn-based combat don't go well together.

The people who praise the game a lot tend to skip their carefully crafted battle system after a while just because there's no point to it.

Aside from the battles I don't believe we've seen any puzzles.

And I did say the environments are amazing.

Also, the entire first post was a joke about the other two posts: "This game is going to rock" and "This game is going to suck"

luigi33
3 weeks ago#10
DOTBHDD posted...
I don't have a new RPG to play for a while and Paper Mario isn't filling that hole at the moment.
Its called CrossCode. Infact

CrossCode>>>Entire PM series
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: The Origami King
  3. This game is going to be average
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A