• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Enryx25

Enryx25
1 week ago#1
https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2020/06/30/a-new-crease-on-life-nintendo-shares-insight-on-paper-marios-latest-adventure
NO.

User Info: Gamegeek123

Gamegeek123
1 week ago#2
Wow they're actually fixing some of the major issues from the first two games being too linear hallway simulators. IS might actually be trying to make the game good this time around.
Posted by a user with refined tastes.

User Info: Jostin1

Jostin1
1 week ago#3
Worth noting that there is a spoiler for a boss in one of the screenshots (seems to be one of the Vellumentals), if you want to avoid spoilers.

Some tidbits I found interesting:

Regarding game systems:

“When continuing a game series, it’s much easier to carry over the basics from an existing game system rather than building new systems for each new installment,” says Kensuke Tanabe, producer at Nintendo. “But that’s not how you create new experiences or unexpected surprises. As a game designer, I want to deliver new experiences and surprises to our fans, so I always challenge myself to create something new. To be sure, I will sometimes use the same system in a subsequent game to further develop that system until I feel it has reached its full potential. But my goal is to continue to tackle new challenges as much as possible.”

On world design:

These bosses aren’t just waiting in one location for Mario to find them. Instead, they’re scattered around the world. That creates a striking visual, as players can see the streamers far in the distance, while also giving them a hint as to where their next challenge lies. One of the biggest departures with The Origami King is that the story isn’t chapter-focused as past games have been. Instead, players can travel from region to region seamlessly in an open-world setup.
“One major feature that makes the world where this adventure takes place special is that there are huge maps to explore at every turn,” says Masahiko Magaya, director at Intelligent Systems. “Because the game is laid out this way, we were careful during the design phase to make sure there is always something in the player’s field of vision to catch their attention.”

On characters & party members:

“We never considered whether or not we should implement a party-based system like some other games,” Tanabe says. “As we worked on Paper Mario: The Origami King, we decided we could create more memorable moments if Olivia and the other characters team up with Mario along the way. In other words, we first determine what elements are needed in a game and then figure out how to implement and program them. Bobby, the Bob-omb, was the first character we decided to include, and from there we chose the characters that would be the best fit for the events in each stage of the game. Bowser Jr. was an exception. The director, Mr. Masahiko Nagaya, personally had strong feelings about including a storyline where a son sets out to save his father, so in this case, we decided to include the character before deciding exactly what we would have him do.”

Oh, and for anyone from r/papermario, yes I did copy this from someone else. I thought it was a good comment so I decided to copy and paste it here.
Future game purchases: Various RPGs.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Perkolator

Perkolator
1 week ago#4
Open world, yuck.

User Info: Tyruc

Tyruc
1 week ago#5
Everything looks pretty good except the no confirmation of why we should battle other than coins and confetti and partners leaving after you're done with that area. I really dont wanna become too attach to one partner then see them leave. Either way this game looks hype, and also it pretty much confirms tanabe does not want TTYD and 64 party system to return lmao.

User Info: Rethalwolf

Rethalwolf
1 week ago#6
Perkolator posted...
Open world, yuck.
This.
No chapters and open world means loose storytelling at best. The partners sound like temporary additions, which means increasing exploration capability isn't a thing.

Idk this game is shaping up to once again leave the charm of the first two games uncaptured by any game. I'll probably play it, but... I had this same feeling about BotW and even with low expectations it was a huge disappointment
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."

User Info: McmadnessV3

McmadnessV3
1 week ago#7
Rethalwolf posted...
This.
No chapters and open world means loose storytelling at best.

Which is pretty much Paper Mario in a nutshell. And if the trailers have been anything to go by the amount of cutscenes and interactions we've been shown is largely still the same.
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.

User Info: alucardivx

alucardivx
1 week ago#8
Lol does the term "open world" even mean anything anymore?

Not to nitpick because I definitely like the change but the game is clearly not "open world" in the BOTW sense. From what is written in the article it just seems that the different "levels" can be seemlesly traversed unlike Color Splash that had a classic level system.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Rethalwolf

Rethalwolf
1 week ago#9
alucardivx posted...
Lol does the term "open world" even mean anything anymore?

Not to nitpick because I definitely like the change but the game is clearly not "open world" in the BOTW sense. From what is written in the article it just seems that the different "levels" can be seemlesly traversed unlike Color Splash that had a classic level system.
Except they're doing away with chapters, which sounds like they're doing away with order, or else why get rid of the classic storytelling method? It sounds like BotW all over again
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
Eh, if the game pulls it off well, then fine. If not, critique it. We'll see about it.
I'm Baby Luigi's biggest fan, a rather cantankerous female.
Left 4 Dead 2 is the best Mario-based shooter.
  • Post New Message