You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Creative Writing
  3. Single word for something that was possible but didnt happen

User Info: dib153

dib153
1 month ago#1
I want a fancy word for a title, about things that could have happened long ago but never did. Like...pirates and ninjas. They COULD have fought each other, Caribbean pirates like blackbeard and cap. Morgan were doing their thing by the islands while ninjas slit throats in the orient. There was roughly 100 years, the 1600s, where they both existed. They COULD have fought, but didnt.

Whats the word for that?
"Dib is my new hero. Epic insult man, epic to the max" ~ Drakona

User Info: CloverKitten

CloverKitten
1 month ago#2
There isn't a good single word for this, at least not one that would work for an interesting, distinct or memorable title.

But you could always make up a silly portmanteau, like possibistory (possibility and history), pastentiality (past and potentiality) or priorbility (prior and possibility).

dib153
1 month ago#3
I went with "counterfactual nature of"

User Info: Wandering__Hero

Wandering__Hero
1 month ago#4
Possibility
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/

dib153
1 month ago#5
Wandering__Hero posted...
Possibility

Is something that may happen. I wrote about historical circumstances. The topic WAS possible, technically, but didnt happen because the involved parties hadn't really expanded far enough

User Info: Wandering__Hero

Wandering__Hero
1 month ago#6
dib153 posted...
Wandering__Hero posted...
Possibility

Is something that may happen. I wrote about historical circumstances. The topic WAS possible, technically, but didnt happen because the involved parties hadn't really expanded far enough

While I knew posting "possiblity" was redundant given the topic title, I am not aware of any singular word that could describe an event that might occur.

I suppose what your describing could be called Alternative History, which is a genre of fiction about this kind of thing
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/

User Info: MedeaLysistrata

MedeaLysistrata
1 month ago#7
Kant uses what he calls "problematic judgments" to cover things where it is that case that "possibly F's are G's"

counterfactuals aren't what you're looking for because they usually take the form of "if x doesn't/didn't happen, then y..."

edit: so you could use Problematic as the word you're looking for, but really only people familiar with Kant would know what you mean by that

EDIT: i totally misread the topic title, sorry. counterfactuals might work in this situation, but i'm still not sure: they're usually used to negate something that actually did happen, but i could be wrong
disappointing aporia
[you are what you resist, sometimes]
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: cougre

cougre
1 month ago#8
Hmmm. Not an exact fit, but the term pseudohistory comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudohistory
To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. - Mark Twain, 1868

User Info: artowen74

artowen74
1 month ago#9
Squandered
Unrealized
1-AlphaCentauri 2-TecmoSuperBowl 3-VagrantStory 4-C:SotN 5-FFXII 6-Okami/SotC 7-ME2 8-TLoU 9-D3/I2 10-DA:I
RIP Hiroki Tobias; you're loved. :(

User Info: AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch
1 month ago#10
Contingency
  1. Boards
  2. Creative Writing
  3. Single word for something that was possible but didnt happen