• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sleep and Dreams
  3. Recurring non-existent areas in dreams

User Info: NintendoDS

NintendoDS
7 years ago#1
Do you ever have recurring settings in your dreams, yet these places aren't real places that you've been to before IRL? Like as an example there's this certain city area I've dreamt about multiple times in the past few years, yet as far as I can tell its not explicitly based on any one place I've been before IRL. It's like this badass futuristic coastal city where the city is split down the middle with a small body of water and people just take little boats to get across easily, there's big buildings towering over the water and some of the architecture is interesting and hard for me to describe. There's this little scenic pub restaurant over the water that's small but has multiple floors and the architecture inside seemed pretty weird and interesting. I remember seeing this place in past dreams in this setting but only recently went inside.

I also have reoccurring settings in my dreams that are loosely based around places I've been been before. I just think its cool that I randomly revisit some of the same non-existent places in my dreams years later, and then it triggers memories of dreams that I forgot about.
Nintendo DS has become self-aware

User Info: Bedman

Bedman
7 years ago#2
I do all the time. I've been meaning to post a topic of my own about them, as there are about a half dozen by now (empty house, bus, skyscraper, neighborhood, etc.).

From my reading online, recurring dreams generally mean that your subconscious is desperately trying to tell you something important but you aren't getting the message. That's one reason why I've looked up everything I can remember from them, to try to unravel what their individual components mean. I've had it happen that once I realize what they're saying about my life, the recurrence stops or changes to another form.
Bedman: Mattress of the Universe

NintendoDS
7 years ago#3
Bedman posted...
I do all the time. I've been meaning to post a topic of my own about them, as there are about a half dozen by now (empty house, bus, skyscraper, neighborhood, etc.).

From my reading online, recurring dreams generally mean that your subconscious is desperately trying to tell you something important but you aren't getting the message. That's one reason why I've looked up everything I can remember from them, to try to unravel what their individual components mean. I've had it happen that once I realize what they're saying about my life, the recurrence stops or changes to another form.

Interesting, another recurring setting is me going to this scenic beach area like some surreal place out of a fantasy, and when I get there everything feels super euphoric and happy. It usually takes a little while for me to get to this locale though, but I always feel a buildup of extreme excitement as I head on a short trip to that place, whether I'm hiking there through some hills or walking down some train tracks or going down the freeway or whatever, it's usually a scenic trip there and then when I finally get there and it's like "holy s*** this place is the best place ever" so it's no wonder that I'm often having dreams where I'm trying to go back to that place. Then I wake up and feel kinda sad that I never feel that kinda extreme excitement and euphoria when I'm awake these days :(

I wonder if it's my subconscious trying to tell me something and what it could be, kinda hard for me to even explain the setting in words, like the other place I mentioned in my original post >_> Although a lot of these dreams are based around trips so maybe it's just cuz I really want to go on a trip somewhere awesome.

User Info: Bedman

Bedman
7 years ago#4
As far as interpretation goes, dreams are typically tied in to a base desire or need, and it's usually at least one degree of sense removed from what your subconscious is actually trying to tell you. I was dreaming about bus rides almost every night for a couple months, which made no sense considering how much I hate having to ride the bus. Then I realized that because I was carpooling at that point, it was my brain's way of telling me I'd rather be on a bus than riding with my coworker.

I didn't want to admit this to myself, since the guy giving me rides was super nice and going way far out of his way for my sake. My conscious mind considered myself too mature to place independence over accepting someone else's providence, but my subconscious was telling me that I really needed to bite the bullet and get my license. Once I could drive myself to work, the bus dreams went away overnight.
Bedman: Mattress of the Universe

NintendoDS
7 years ago#5
Bedman posted...
As far as interpretation goes, dreams are typically tied in to a base desire or need, and it's usually at least one degree of sense removed from what your subconscious is actually trying to tell you. I was dreaming about bus rides almost every night for a couple months, which made no sense considering how much I hate having to ride the bus. Then I realized that because I was carpooling at that point, it was my brain's way of telling me I'd rather be on a bus than riding with my coworker.

I didn't want to admit this to myself, since the guy giving me rides was super nice and going way far out of his way for my sake. My conscious mind considered myself too mature to place independence over accepting someone else's providence, but my subconscious was telling me that I really needed to bite the bullet and get my license. Once I could drive myself to work, the bus dreams went away overnight.

lol its awesome how the subconcious mind works, I've solved problems and came to realizations that I wouldnt ordinarily think about, and came up with awesome ideas thanks to dreams I've had. I thought I was weird for having bus dreams, although the bus rides in my dreams are actually fun and awesome as opposed to how boring they are in reality. I've also have had mall dreams since I was a kid, I figured lots of people had those,L but when I tell people they don't often relate. Malls are usually a big theme in a lot of my dreams but I don't know how to interpret what the symbolism means, if it means anything at all and isn't just a backdrop for a lot of my dreams.

User Info: friendlydude

friendlydude
7 years ago#6
This happens to me quite often. Usually I only dream about an imaginary place twice- the first time when I was really young and again 15-20 years later. I think my brain keeps these places tucked deep inside and then brings them back one day, unexpectedly. The oddest thing? My life -just like all our lives- changes a lot in 15 years and yet, this same place is back yet again to remind me. Really fascinating!

User Info: BB mofo

BB mofo
7 years ago#7
Yes. The diner in my closet.

It opens late on random nights, while I'm in bed. I would know it's open because a light from under my closet door would wake me up. Then I'd hear a dinner crowd, forks clinking on plates, and smell food cooking. I'd have to push my clothes aside to enter the place, and it's usually jam packed. It's an old greasy spoon truckers would stop at. I would go in for the cherry pie and hot chocolate, but these days, I can't afford to eat there.

That's just one place. I have a huge map of places. If I ever start a dream journal, I might list as many as I can remember, and the history behind them.
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-Mark Twain
  1. Boards
  2. Sleep and Dreams
  3. Recurring non-existent areas in dreams
  • Topic Archived