• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Forget Jill's costume, what's with her crappy voice and personality? *SPOILERS*

User Info: Darkside_Hazuki

Darkside_Hazuki
1 week ago#201
KaijunoKami posted...
Wait, so NOW you care about Jill having a crappy voice????????????
Well this demo was the most that I've paid attention to REmake3's voice acting, otherwise I would've said something earlier. Aside from the very first trailer and a few screenshots I'm trying not to watch much footage of the game, I'm keeping the game as fresh & spoiler-free as I can until I get some hands-on time to play it and the demo provided that.

Tamondaichi posted...
Imo it looks like something out of the resident evil live action movies.
You know I didn't think about that comparison. Alice's personality in the second RE movie has a big change by the church scene. When she's not doing martial arts, being surrounded by explosions and using powers to make people's eyes bleed she's speaking to others in a low objective tone, or using an oddly theatric choice of words in response to others ("As you wish"), or speaking as-matter-of-fact (the end scene where she says "My name is Alice" followed by a dangerous smile). I can see REmake3 Jill delivering lines in the same way as she too just hops between a flat tone and using oddball sentences reminding us that this is like any video game or film where it's not an entirely "realistic" person giving us the feeling of strain or tension in a horrific environment.

At least the original RE3 Jill embraced the video gameness of it all and kept herself from being a total bore and sounding like a low-toned douche.

Aqua_Light_13 posted...
Imagine arguing for pages and pages about a fictional character that will surely develop during the game and warm up to the people she hated at the beginning. I mean we know the whole story already.

But have you seen everything? Have you seen all of her interactions with Carlos and Mikhail? Have you played the whole game? Is that how she's going to be for the entirety of the game?

Behold, the first two words in this entire topic:
Darkside_Hazuki posted...
(***demo impressions***)

I already established that we're just examining the demo. Later in that opening post I mention it being a demo three more times AND I even called the demo an "indicator" to acknowledge that it may not reflect Jill in the entire game.

Imagine obnoxiously commenting on an argument that has lasted pages and pages...only to post in it at #178 so you could bring up something that the author established in the very first two words of the entire thread.
Please social distance yourself from your keyboard.
"This is what makes a legend!" - Terry, KoF '99
RE Outbreak/PSN: Stick_Breitling; Metal Gear Online: Gabe LOGAN
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: jason19192

jason19192
1 week ago#202
Dyinglegacy posted...
You're exaggerating and sounding like a dumb-ass while doing it.
The irony of a trump supporter calling me a dumbass.

User Info: Deanyzy

Deanyzy
1 week ago#203
It's funny, I remember a lot of people on RE2's board hating the fact that Claire took everything in RE2R in her stride and was driven and positive when it came to her situation but in in RE3R, people are hating the fact that Jill isn't some super smiley and vibrant badass that takes to her situation like a duck to water but is a stressed, angry individual that's obviously dealing with s***.

Darkside_Hazuki
1 week ago#204
Deanyzy posted...
It's funny, I remember a lot of people on RE2's board hating the fact that Claire took everything in RE2R in her stride and was driven and positive when it came to her situation but in in RE3R, people are hating the fact that Jill isn't some super smiley and vibrant badass that takes to her situation like a duck to water but is a stressed, angry individual that's obviously dealing with s***.
1.) People hated REmake2 Claire because 90% of her "character" was cursing and saying "You gotta be kidding me" over and over, and her casually flirting with Leon at the gate and leaping to battle with G3 like an action star killed everyone's hopes of REmake2 portraying a grittier atmosphere with characters making more realistic decisions and reactions to the horrors around them. Nope, we didn't get that with her.

2.) Nobody in this thread said anything about wanting Jill to be smiling and vibrant. Jill was never like that in any game so nobody wants to see that.

3.) Jill is not portrayed as stressed or angry in any of the scenes in this demo and we illustrated how. A video was provided in this thread for any folks with short term memory loss and I suggest you view it...or just play the demo if you haven't already.

It's been a long time since I've seen someone provide a whole paragraph with three brief observations that are all 100% the opposite of what the truth is. If I were you I'd buy a lottery ticket and bet on the exact opposite numbers that you normally bet on because I think you'd have a surefire winner. No, don't bother thanking me, just make sure you use the money to finish up getting your GED.

User Info: KaijunoKami

KaijunoKami
1 week ago#205
Darkside_Hazuki posted...
Well this demo was the most that I've paid attention to REmake3's voice acting,

Okay, but where were your complaints about Jill's garbage voice actors in 1996, 1999, and in 2002?

Why is her having a so-so VA in this game matter so much when she's always been that way?
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Dyinglegacy

Dyinglegacy
1 week ago#206
jason19192 posted...
The irony of a trump supporter calling me a dumbass.
I didnt call you a dumb-ass. I said you're sounding like one with that stupid-ass exaggeration. There is a difference.

Trump supporter? Oh, the Lex Trump avatar. You're assumption is false.

There's a funny story behind that avatar, but I don't actually need to validate myself to you anymore than I already have.
Voted worst user on CE 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
Current e-argument streak: 0 wins. 124697 losses.

Darkside_Hazuki
1 week ago#207
KaijunoKami posted...
Okay, but where were your complaints about Jill's garbage voice actors in 1996, 1999, and in 2002?
Short answer: this is 2020. There have been some terrific voiceover performances in video games over the last two decades (for the quick sake of this subject let's just use 1998's Metal Gear Solid as a commonly-known benchmark) but listening to Jill and Carlos in this demo is probably what it would sound like if wood could talk.

Long answer: (see below)
Complaints in 1996? In 1996 voice acting was bad in nearly all mature-themed games and anime, why would I wanna kick a whole industry when it was down and the talent pool was low? And I'm pretty sure most of the actors for RE1 were hired just for convenience (ex. people already working in Japan who could speak English), not for their body of performance work or even having mid-shelf acting talent. Back then if a game had cheesy voice acting it really wasn't something people went out of there way to complain about, especially when they were wildly entertaining for the wrong reasons (see RE1 and...nearly every other CD-ROM game at the time). The known exceptions for good English video game voice acting at the time were Snatcher on Sega CD (1994) and, for the most part, Space Griffon VF-9 on PS1 (1995).

In 1999 the RE3 voice acting was a HUGE step up compared to RE1 in 1996. Now when compared to RE2, the character portrayals in RE3 greatly increased the gravity in a few different ways:
--Jill projected herself as a bigger hero with a strong sense of justice than any other RE character before her.
--Brad and Dario were EXACTLY what the "Jill should sound like she has PTSD!" dread-installing nerds should be going nuts for. Jesus, just listen to Dario at the very beginning of the game. Dude sounded strung out as hell and you BELIEVED he just went through everything he said about his daughter and he wasn't gonna budge from that warehouse. Brad sounded (and looked) like he'd been running for his life for hours before you first met him.
--The UBCS members accents brought an international feel to the series for the first time. Carlos was definitely floating in the cool-but-wisecracking character that hadn't been done in the franchise before. Chris & Barry in RE1 sounded like they could be somebody's unfunny uncle (which respectively made them sound even more funny) while Carlos in RE3 sounded like someone you might actually end up thinking is cool, and by the end of the game he was (confirmed by common-knowledge fan approval).
--When walking around Raccoon City whenever you'd hear an NPC getting killed off-screen (man or woman) it's justifiable to say their screams were indeed blood curdling and filled with agony, especially the first dude that gets it just outside the bar where you meet Brad or the girl that later on dies just outside the warehouse (who people speculate was Dario's daughter).

Can we say that all of the above voice actors were over the top with their performance, like the Russian accents? For sure! But did the actors nail everything that they set out to do to illuminate their characters? That's an undeniable YES. That's part of what made the game so well-received and fun to play, all the presentation scales got raised. You can also say that the voice acting was far from "gritty & realistic" for a horror environment, which for a video game is really just fine...but their performances were NO WAY sleep-inducing. To be fair, Metal Gear Solid in 1998 is probably the biggest reason to call the original RE3 acting underperforming because it MGS was a HUGE breakthrough in great video game voiceacting. Extra unrelated trivia: Snatcher (mentioned earlier) was a Hideo Kojima video game with great American voice acting that was supervised/translated by Jeremy Blaustein...and so was Metal Gear Solid. Definitely a footnote in the historical examples of improved video game voice acting.

Lastly, 2002...I will have to concede and say that REmake1 Jill was pretty forgettable here, BUT I would argue that's not the voice actress' fault. While the acting talent was an improvement from the original RE1 (I know that's not saying much) the developers were definitely trying to make REmake1 more creepy & less hokey to match the rest of the design of the game (like how the revamped main hallway, the low lit hallways, the thunderstorm-displaying windows, and the tragic new character Lisa all added an extra layer of spooky). REmake1 Jill definitely wasn't the projecting action star she was in RE3 but she wasn't portrayed by someone just reading lines like she was in the original RE1. I'd say she was somewhere inbetween: better performance but a lot less character. This version of Jill was harmless but simply just there.

Now here we are with REmake3 in 2020, where in this demo Jill is either a whispering plank of wood or she's got a testy (no, not traumatized) attitude like she wants to purposefully get evicted from the Big Brother household first. And during the train scene, her jabs & comebacks at Mikhail & Carlos don't make her sound anymore realistic than her straight-edge 2002 portrayal. REmake3 Jill seems right in the middle of boring (possibly moreso than 2002 because of her barely conscious tone) and unlikable (a first for Jill's character), meaning this combination could make this the worst portrayal of Jill in the entire franchise. It's either because that was the direction given to the voice actress or she just sucks. At least people had fun with the low budget performance of the original RE1 voice actress...24 years ago.

So far Mikhail's voice actor sounds like he knows this is a video game and he wants to at least make it (and his crappy lines) as entertaining as possible within the boundaries of "Don't overdo it like it's a PS1 game". While Jill & Carlos' actors sound like they only got hired because the director plays pachislot with their parents on weekends.

User Info: riddlebox89

riddlebox89
1 week ago#208
So people that have watched streams have said that Jill warms up to Carlos later on.

This topic is now pointless.
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
Not only is that true but the demo scenes in question happen all immediately after Jill is saved and subsequently finds out from Carlos that the outfit is Umbrella's people. She yells at Carlos and then is sarcastic at their efforts to "help". There's literally no difference from the tone of this and the classic RE3 conversation other than the addition of snide remarks to show Jill's disgust at working with Umbrella.

Darkside_Hazuki
1 week ago#210
riddlebox89 posted...
spoilers

GoodChoicesPls posted...
spoilers
I appreciate the non-demo spoiler tags.

For obvious reasons, and with respect to this great (and as of now MUCH NEEDED) hobby that we all value by preferring to first experience game & story related content hands-on and spoiler-free, I won't be viewing or commenting on anything with spoiler tags until after I play the full game.

As for the "pointless" comment:
1.) The point of this topic is demo impressions, so it is still an option for discussion among people who don't want the game spoiled for them but are equally vocal about the demo.
2.) I will go to the betting table and say that, after the full game is released, this thread could easily be a top source for any future discussion that may fall along the lines of "The demo contained some of the worst/best/forgettable scenes in the game."
3.) I find it scandalously ironic that people wish to carelessly toss the word "pointless" around, as if they tend to police anything that they feel pertains to their meaning of the word, while at the same time exhibiting the actions of someone who is making much of their hands-on, first-time experiences in REmake3 "pointless" or "non-existent" by ingesting spoilers before playing the final version of the game themselves.

Besides, we're talking about riddlebox, who has gained a high reputation on this board for making grossly misconstrued interpretations of anything he chimes in on, and whom has crudely shown zero regrets or apologies after his multiple counts of unwittingly revealing to us that he has had little to no connection with Resident Evil before the year 2005. I would motion that a more appropriate ambassador should be selected to represent any new variables from Spoilerville.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Forget Jill's costume, what's with her crappy voice and personality? *SPOILERS*
  • Post New Message