• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Forget Jill's costume, what's with her crappy voice and personality? *SPOILERS*

User Info: DKLinks

DKLinks
1 week ago#181
JillsJugs posted...
100% agree with Darkside_Hazuki on all his points. Honestly I had to log into this site just to say how wonderfully you've articulated every single problem I have with her characterisation in this segment of the game.

The lines she spoke and the tone in which she said them made me wince heavily upon first hearing. Someone else mentioned how she comes off petty and childish and I couldn't agree more. I also didn't like her voice from the very first moment I heard it in this game and still don't.

Thanks for showing actual intelligence on this board btw. It's so rare to find users who can discuss and argue their points with your kind of clarity and intellect.

All the best.

So... how many alt accounts did you make? @Darkside_Hazuki ?
"Cowards live longer."
Official Young Link of the Smash Ultimate Board

User Info: JillsJugs

JillsJugs
1 week ago#182
DKLinks posted...
So... how many alt accounts did you make? @Darkside_Hazuki ?

Not an alt. I've been following this thread for a while now and wanted to post. God forbid there are ppl who share the same opinion on this new "Jill".
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DKLinks

DKLinks
1 week ago#183
JillsJugs posted...
Not an alt. I've been following this thread for a while now and wanted to post. God forbid there are ppl who share the same opinion on this new "Jill".

... you have 12 karma. Did you make an account just to agree with yourself?
"Cowards live longer."
Official Young Link of the Smash Ultimate Board

User Info: KaijunoKami

KaijunoKami
1 week ago#184
Wait, so NOW you care about Jill having a crappy voice????????????
Darkside_Hazuki posted...
(***demo impressions***)
After how much of a downgrade Leon, Claire, Ada, Ben and Annette were in REmake2...REmake3 wants to double down on their attempt at a "realistic presentation" by doing more than just giving us boring character visuals.

A lot can be pegged as soon as the REmake3 demo begins:

The grossly overfollicled Carlos is immediately deemed a monotone lifeless bore by soullessly delivering the line "This fine young lady could use our help."
It's like they wanted this new "realistic" Carlos to deliver a line that the original RE3 "Latino Heat" Carlos would say...but it just falls flat because he puts nothing behind it. Why does he have to have a boring voice AND sound like an idiot?

Mikhail responds by describing "fine young lady" as "something Valentine"...while giving her the creepiest lean-in facial expression in Resident Evil facial capture history. So they went ahead and made the new Mikhail a dork too? Well, that's two down.

And now Jill speaks her first words of the demo: a near whispering, as-matter-of-fact "It's Jill."
This seems kinda out-of-place because her facial expression doesn't seem nearly as condescending as the way she's speaking. Mikhail goes on to explain the noble cause of his team to rescue civilians and then he grunts in anguish, only for Jill to return to him some unconcerned body language and the drab delivery of "Right...how's that going for ya?"

Jesus, I know Jill isn't going to be fond of anyone associated with Umbrella...but at least in RE3 she would immediately shoot down anyone harping the ridiculous idea of Umbrella having a rescue team since they caused this entire mess. But in REmake3 her vibe is somewhere between a passive-aggressive mumbling teenager and an unhappy girlfriend whose not telling you what you did to make her angry.

And now Mikhail's millennial is showing: "Most of the hundred thousand civilians will wind up dead. Ah, correction: undead."
Who wrote this crap? Now nobody was looking for Resident Evil's first Oscar-worthy script...but the staff in 2020 choosing to write crappy on PURPOSE does not sound nearly as charming as a Japanese team doing their best to write like how they think Americans conversed in the 90s. But even in the 90s I don't remember anyone sounding corny enough to talk like they're verbally backspacing and editing their own forum post.

Jill responds to Mikhail with a lax "Well, you can thank your corporate overlords for that."
Again...with the dry, not-so-witty wit.

Mikhail continues to state that his men need help. Now in the next shot, if you look closely at Jill, she turns to the invisible man on her right side that's coaching her to "Stop being a b****!!!" and she follows accordingly by suddenly declaring "Alright, I'm in."
Oh yeah. Sweet, sweet character development.

Soon after that, Carlos secretes a few more words. He doesn't matter, really. But what DOES matter is his proactive gesture to give Jill a radio and state "We can use this to stay in contact." which gets a generous response from Jill: "I know what a radio is." which is complimented by a look that seems to say "Up yours".
Yikes, the hell did he do to deserve that?

Later.....
CARLOS: "S***, Captain. They really took a chunk out of you."
MIKHAIL: "Nothing that I will miss."
Yup...he's a dork.

CARLOS: "You mind getting the subway infrastructure back online?"
JILL: "And how do I do that?"
Jill's delivery was almost as if to say "Who do you think I am, transit?"

CARLOS: "You have to circle around through an alley to your right to get there."
JILL: "You mean the alley that's on fire?"
CARLOS: "...Maybe? Surely a tall drink of water like yourself can put out a few flames."
JILL: "F*** you."
I personally thought that Carlos, who sounds like he's MOSTLY sure of what fire is, made a decent attempt at a lighthearted comment. But hopefully in the retail release of REmake3 we'll find out what he did to be forever in the dirty-haired doghouse that Jill threw him in because good lord she really comes off like she's only working with him because the Capcom paycheck is worth it.

This demo gives us the first indicator that REmake3 Jill's near stoic, quiet voiced, straight-edge presentation is a long, long way from the original RE3 Jill that further solidified her booming heroism in 1999 when, with projected vocal cords, she would remind any goons around her that she's no ordinary civvie while also showing immediate concern for a wounded Mikhail. But hey, I guess that's what makes REmake3 more "realistic": because nobody that cool exists in real life...so why should someone like that exist in a VIDEO GAME? Makes perfect sense.

I guess our only remaining hope of this game having a somewhat engaging yet realistically heroic & memorable character is fat uncle Brad Vickers. If anyone can crash this Adderall party, it's him...I just hope he has longer than 1/20th of the game to do it.

Thank you, TC! I thought I was the only one. Look, I know Capcom wanted Jill to be grounded in this remake; however, all I got from the demo was a cold-hearted woman who's devoid of compassion and likeable manners. Her personality is far from how I imagined Jill would have based on my memory of her in the past games. Granted, she never had that much dialogue to work with in the previous titles.

That said, in my personal opinion, I am not liking this version of Jill. I always envisioned her as someone compassionate, even towards those who don't deserve compassion; someone level-headed and would not resort to scathing/derogatory remarks. The Jill I know from the past RE games is a very capable fighter with a big heart!
The future doesn't die in front of you...
Y'all are OD

User Info: Tamondaichi

Tamondaichi
1 week ago#187
Darkside_Hazuki posted...

From 00:12 to 2:52 (the train scene + her first radio call with Carlos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo98Cc3SjPk#t=00m12s

Remember two things...
1.) These scenes take place after an event described as: "In her most desperate moment she was rescued by an unknown man named Carlos."
2.) We're not certain if Carlos has already explained to Jill that him and Mikhail are not Umbrella employees, only hired mercenaries (which is something Carlos did in their first encounter in the original RE3).

After watching these scenes:
--She doesn't appear grim or jaded "on life" in the least.
--She doesn't verbally or physically express being "suspicious of" or appear to be wondering about their "true motivations".
--In fact, she cracks a smile (or grin, whatever you wanna call it), firmly declares "Alright, I'm in", and her first radio call with Carlos has her sounding productive and objective with him ("Working on it. So what's the plan?").
--No signs of trauma, PTSD, stress, or wariness. She just seems like another video game character with a bad voice actress.

Her saying "But I am on their side. Not yours." is left up to interpretation. To me it doesn't sound like it's in the realm of trust or untrust, but more like affiliation. She fights for the city to save civilians, not for mercenaries to clean up Umbrella's mess.

Imo it looks like something out of the resident evil live action movies.
Blocked.

User Info: gargar91

gargar91
1 week ago#188
Jesus, some people really want the boring af characters back from the original, huh? Good thing is that despite all of this whining nothing is gonna change. Anyway TC will be ignored, he just wants a robotic character with anime like character traits. This is the most cringy thread i read thus far, nice work.

User Info: xEnraiyax

xEnraiyax
1 week ago#189
Tamondaichi posted...
Imo it looks like something out of the resident evil live action movies.
Capcom needs to stop letting Westerners write their games' stories nowadays, as a matter of fact, they need to drop all Westerners who aren't facial capture, motion capture or voice actors from their development studios. Japanese games should be made by the Japanese in all creative areas and aspects of the development process! That Chinese art director that wanted Nemesis to have a bodybag/trashbag look needs to get the boot as well! Just generic, dull and flat out terrible ideas from these people!
Favorite Anime of My Time - https://pastebin.com/Qp0sTZyQ

User Info: xEnraiyax

xEnraiyax
1 week ago#190
gargar91 posted...
Jesus, some people really want the boring af characters back from the original, huh? Good thing is that despite all of this whining nothing is gonna change. Anyway TC will be ignored, he just wants a robotic character with anime like character traits. This is the most cringy thread i read thus far, nice work.
Nu-Jill is a garbage tier generic female character that was created to appeal to the modern day West's female empowerment movement and gender politics! If you want to experience an interesting female character then watch Ghost in the Shell(1995) and Ghost in the Shell S.A.C to see how a strong female character is done right. Major Motoko Kusanagi is anime and better than Nu-Jill from this upcoming edition of Resident Evil 3 that's created by the lazy millennial developers over at Capcom.
Favorite Anime of My Time - https://pastebin.com/Qp0sTZyQ
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Forget Jill's costume, what's with her crappy voice and personality? *SPOILERS*
  • Post New Message