• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Resident Evil 0 Canon or not?

User Info: Det_Beauregard

Det_Beauregard
2 weeks ago#31
I think the reason Billy was created was because Capcom wanted someone young and “cool” as a main character as opposed to a random dull Bravo Team guy who you know would die after the game’s events. Richard actually would have worked well alongside Rebecca had he not died in Remake.

I also think the developers wanted someone who was the opposite of Becky’s “good girl” personality, so who better than a convict with “edge?”

FNFred posted...
* RE0 de-humanizes William Birkin and devalues his fate in RE2.
Can you expound on this? Everything else from your post I agree with, but this one escapes me.

User Info: FNFred

FNFred
2 weeks ago#32
I meant that it's a bit harder to see him as the guy who got screwed out of his research. We know he's an a****** but still. A bit of a moot point.

https://youtu.be/gBenTQE7uCQ?t=288
NOW PLAYING: Resident Evil 2
AWAITING: Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy VII

User Info: Mehran456

Mehran456
2 weeks ago#33
RE0 was basically potential after potential that ultimately went nowhere and were completely wasted
This is my signature
Do you like it?

User Info: Venage27

Venage27
2 weeks ago#34
Mehran456 posted...
RE0 was basically potential after potential that ultimately went nowhere and were completely wasted
Sad but True. Pun intended.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

User Info: finalfantasy94

finalfantasy94
2 weeks ago#35
Birkin barely had a character in RE2. All we knew was that he was a scientist working for umbrella who injected himself turning into a monster who tried to impregnate his kid with tenticals. His wife and kid had more of a character.
got reviews and more at In My Opinion:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEHPzU5Zjg2mAoYpeQgMtUw
Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/souledge94/videos/all
(edited 2 weeks ago)

FNFred
2 weeks ago#36
finalfantasy94 posted...
Birkin barely had a character in RE2. All we knew was that he was a scientist working for umbrella who injected himself turning into a monster who tried to impregnate his kid with tenticals. His wife and kid had more of a character.
Yeah, but him having no character in RE2 meant that people thought about what could have been.

Instead, he was developed into cereal box villain, hence why we can't feel bad for him in RE2 post-RE0. That's what I meant. RE0 did nothing for the series.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: finalfantasy94

finalfantasy94
2 weeks ago#37
FNFred posted...
Yeah, but him having no character in RE2 meant that people thought about what could have been.

Instead, he was developed into cereal box villain, hence why we can't feel bad for him in RE2 post-RE0. That's what I meant. RE0 did nothing for the series.
were we suppose to feel bad for him to begin with? cause I never did even before RE0. Also if you want to you could also look at it as a douch getting what he deserves post RE0. After all he was the main monster for RE2 and you do get to off him.
got reviews and more at In My Opinion:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEHPzU5Zjg2mAoYpeQgMtUw
Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/souledge94/videos/all
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: NewsBot

NewsBot
2 weeks ago#38
Tutankoopa posted...
The way the RE2 Lab is portrayed in RE0 was also pretty big oversight as well. When Billy and Rebecca arrive at the Underground Lab, it looks derelict and was already impacted by the virus outbreak despite the fact RE0's events take place 2 months before the Raccoon City outbreak. But according to RE2's intro, William Birkin can be seen working in the Lab up until he's attacked by Hunk's team. Which was 1 week before the Raccoon City outbreak.

The Umbrella Executive Training School is situated on top of a cliff 8 miles north of Raccoon City. The vacant factory from RE2 is located near the bottom of that cliff, connected to the subterranean lake and treatment plant beneath the cliff (in BIO2, the factory was always referred to as being on the outskirts). The cable car Rebecca & Billy take runs diagonally downward from the school, through the cliff, then out of the cliff descending toward the factory. The infamous "magic elevator" simply goes up and down the cliff, therefore connecting the school, factory, lab and plant.

FNFred posted...
I wonder what happened with the story of RE0.

First of all, there was no Queen Leech/Young Marcus character when the game was initially written and planned to release on the Nintendo 64. The game focused on the mystery of the deceased James Marcus, with the only antagonists being Wesker & Birkin who had more prominent roles and exposited some of the backstory while sending what became the Eliminators after Rebecca & Billy.

The leeches, while prominent, were more of an enemy you would encounter in different forms at different times as you gradually found out who they were mimicking, until the reveal that Umbrella murdered Marcus and his child test subjects. The leeches' initial sticking point in the plot was simply that they had been breeding since Marcus died and escaped their nest (the underground treatment plant), causing biohazards in the Arklay Laboratory, Birkin's underground laboratory and the training school.

Some of the changes come from scenario writer Noboru Sugimura forgetting what he had initially wrote for the game in the years between it being cancelled on N64 and moved to the GameCube. Others inserted their own artistic vision into the story, a similar case with CODE:Veronica (no love angle, different Alexia characterization, etc).

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
2 weeks ago#39
It's canon, but didn't really matter beyond being the cause for the mountain outbreaks, so its easy to ignore.

GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

FNFred
2 weeks ago#40
NewsBot posted...
The Umbrella Executive Training School is situated on top of a cliff 8 miles north of Raccoon City. The vacant factory from RE2 is located near the bottom of that cliff, connected to the subterranean lake and treatment plant beneath the cliff (in BIO2, the factory was always referred to as being on the outskirts). The cable car Rebecca & Billy take runs diagonally downward from the school, through the cliff, then out of the cliff descending toward the factory. The infamous "magic elevator" simply goes up and down the cliff, therefore connecting the school, factory, lab and plant.

First of all, there was no Queen Leech/Young Marcus character when the game was initially written and planned to release on the Nintendo 64. The game focused on the mystery of the deceased James Marcus, with the only antagonists being Wesker & Birkin who had more prominent roles and exposited some of the backstory while sending what became the Eliminators after Rebecca & Billy.

The leeches, while prominent, were more of an enemy you would encounter in different forms at different times as you gradually found out who they were mimicking, until the reveal that Umbrella murdered Marcus and his child test subjects. The leeches' initial sticking point in the plot was simply that they had been breeding since Marcus died and escaped their nest (the underground treatment plant), causing biohazards in the Arklay Laboratory, Birkin's underground laboratory and the training school.

Some of the changes come from scenario writer Noboru Sugimura forgetting what he had initially wrote for the game in the years between it being cancelled on N64 and moved to the GameCube. Others inserted their own artistic vision into the story, a similar case with CODE:Veronica (no love angle, different Alexia characterization, etc).
Very interesting read. Thank you.

You seem to know a great deal.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Resident Evil 0 Canon or not?
  • Post New Message