• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Resident Evil 0 Canon or not?

User Info: FNFred

FNFred
1 week ago#1
Am I the only one here who has a headcanon of ignoring RE0 in the continuity? Whenever people talk about the story, it's like in my mind, the story starts with STARS Alpha Team searching for the lost Bravo Team. My headcanon is that my "knowledge" of the events start with Chris or Jill. What happened before isn't meant to be known. The Spencer Mansion is, to me, the first "setting" and chapter of the RE story. Here's a few reasons why I ignore RE0 as the starting point of a franchise I adore.
  • RE0 de-humanizes William Birkin and devalues his fate in RE2.
  • The RE franchise starts with a villain who sings to leeches and is less grounded.
  • Breaks continuity with Rebecca's helplessness in RE1.
  • Doesn't bring many answers regarding Bravo Team's activities before RE1.
  • Billy Coen ended up being another Carlos or Sheva and never used again.
  • RE0 featuring yet another Tyrant makes the RE1 Tyrant less unique.
I could probably bring a few more points like all the big animal bosses everywhere being a bit of an overkill.

Guys, I know RE0 is canon, but I have troubles noticing or even acknowledging it in my headcanon. To me, it's like a what if side story and when I talk about the pre-Raccoon City events, it just doesn't exist because I don't even think about it. What's even more weird is that I think about every other games as canon, even RE7. But RE0 is weird to me. It's like the RE fan in me denies its existence.

Anyone else feel the same?
NOW PLAYING: Resident Evil 2
AWAITING: Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy VII
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: egpNoodlez

egpNoodlez
1 week ago#2
Kind of, in that I find the game so utterly boring that it escapes my mind as part of the canon.

Putting things past that, I don't like the inconsistency of Rebecca finally being that badass that S.D Perry had been trying to make her out to be for all those years, only for the usual RE1 scene of Rebecca being useless and scared. I don't like we had Billy for no reason when they have an ENTIRE BRAVO TEAM they could have utilised.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/egpNoodlez/BBE_40.jpg
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/egpNoodlez.png

User Info: d_mob

d_mob
1 week ago#3
It’s canon but I don’t consider it head canon I play it for what it is but don’t consider it apart of the series

User Info: AG15

AG15
1 week ago#4
I feel you TC. Especially because of how dumb the villain is.

But don't forget that the leeches are referenced in REmake. That water fountain accross from the waterfall has one.

Having said that, it's kinda hard to ignore RE 0 because of that.
''We're not tools of the government or anyone else, fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I always fought for what I believed in''
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Venage27

Venage27
1 week ago#5
Yes. Even though it feels more of a spin off than a main game, it's still part of the main continuity/timeline.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

User Info: Venage27

Venage27
1 week ago#6
AG15 posted...
I feel you TC. Especially because of how dumb the villain is.

But don't forget that the leeches are referenced in REmake. That water fountain accross from the waterfall has one.

Having said that, it's kinda hard to ignore RE 0 because of that.
Man, Marcus had such a great potential. We are talking about one of the 3 Founders of Umbrella and he was reduced to some cringey dude on a dress who controls leeches by singing opera. WTF?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

User Info: FNFred

FNFred
1 week ago#7
egpNoodlez posted...
Kind of, in that I find the game so utterly boring that it escapes my mind as part of the canon.

Putting things past that, I don't like the inconsistency of Rebecca finally being that badass that S.D Perry had been trying to make her out to be for all those years, only for the usual RE1 scene of Rebecca being useless and scared. I don't like we had Billy for no reason when they have an ENTIRE BRAVO TEAM they could have utilised.
Indeed. The game being boring AF didn't help. This should never have been a numbered entry.

Rebecca didn't get elevated to a badass level to me because the events of RE0 contradicted the events of RE1 regarding Rebecca's character. I liked Billy, quite frankly, but that character just disappeared after these events. What happened to him? How come we didn't control Enrico Marini instead? His death in RE1 could have had more impact after that.

RE0 didn't have anything really going on for it and most people remember stopping playing after the train section. So forgettable.

Even most of the enemies in RE0 never made a come back really. It's like it was made to be ignored if it didn't succeed.
NOW PLAYING: Resident Evil 2
AWAITING: Resident Evil 3 and Final Fantasy VII
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Recycled

Recycled
1 week ago#8
yes but pretend it isnt

User Info: ManuMIAS

ManuMIAS
1 week ago#9
Recycled posted...
yes but pretend it isn't

lol
Petition to add Alice Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil 3 Remake.

User Info: TheDawnRider

TheDawnRider
1 week ago#10
Venage27 posted...
Man, Marcus had such a great potential. We are talking about one of the 3 Founders of Umbrella and he was reduced to some cringey dude on a dress who controls leeches by singing opera. WTF?

This. Old man Marcus was actually kinda interesting. The small bits of audio you hear from him, the notes you find about his backstory and the actual cutscene that showed how he was betrayed by Wesker and Birkin. They should of just removed the younger Marcus / leech opera singing guy and have old man Marcus be the villain. Or have him appear younger as they did but without any of the silly singing crap.
(edited 1 week ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Resident Evil 0 Canon or not?
  • Post New Message