• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Resident Evil Chronology

User Info: RedeemedSiren

RedeemedSiren
2 months ago#1
Hi, all! I found this apparently chronological list of RE games and its animated movie spinoffs (not the made up Alice movies) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which games/movies are canon and if the order they are in is correct. Please do so WITHOUT SPOILERS. I'm on the Origins Collection at the moment and plan to play 2-7 later. Thank you!

Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Beginnings)
Resident Evil (REmake)
Resident Evil 3 (up until Carlos brings the vaccine for Jill)
Resident Evil 2 (Main game + Fourth Survivor)
Resident Evil Outbreak #1 and #2
Resident Evil 3 (after Jill recovers)
Resident Evil Survivor
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil Gun Survivor 2
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles (Operation Javier)
Resident Evil Dead Aim
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (Umbrella's End)
Resident Evil 4 (Main game + Separate Ways)
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Degeneration
Resident Evil 5 (Lost in Nightmares)
Resident Evil 5 (Main game + Desperate Escape)
Resident Evil Damnation
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 7

User Info: KaijunoKami

KaijunoKami
2 months ago#2
You're missing the third movie, Vendetta.

As for what you don't need to play, you don't need to bother with the Chronicles games as they are just the characters retelling those events and Gun Survivor 2 is absolutely worthless. I would also recommend saving yourself a headache and just watch the first Survivor on YouTube. It also might be better to do that with the Outbreak games as well considering they were made for online play.

User Info: SSJ_Jin

SSJ_Jin
2 months ago#3
Actually don't skip the Chronicles games because there are original, canon story elements besides the retellings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D809OzU42Wo

User Info: ManuMIAS

ManuMIAS
2 months ago#4
just play this order:

RE Remake
RE2 Re-imagine or OG
RE3 Re-imagine or OG
RE5
Revelations 2
RE6

you can ignore the rest of the games because the story doesn't follow.

RE remake story is follow in RE3, then RE5 and then Revelations 2.
RE2 story is follow in RE6 and that's the close of the franchise.

Vendetta and RE7 are bad story media, you can skip them.

I love RE4 but if you playing the games for story you can avoid it, also RE Zero its pretty avoidable, what they say its pulled out of the hat and its not relevant in later games since Rebecca retires and Billy disappears.
Calling ppl toxic is just an ad hominem fallacy argument. They resort to a dismissive personal insult at detractors and critics about their personal character.

ManuMIAS
2 months ago#5
RE Remake : Chris, Jill, Barry, Albert Wesker, Rebecca
RE2 Re-imagine or OG: Leon, Claire, Ada, Sherry
RE3 Re-imagine or OG: Jill, Barry, Carlos
RE5: Chris, Sheva, Albert Wesker, Jill
Revelations 2: Claire, Barry, Alex Wesker
RE6: Chris, Leon, Jake Wesker, Helena, Sherry, Ada, Piers.

bold characters are the ones returning, first Revelations story is not relevant to the rest of the games that's why I didn't put it, Code Veronica story its ignored in later games so its avoidable too.

I put Revelations 2, because RE5 adds some files about Alex Wesker and she is featured in that game, also it gives a closure to Claire and Barry characters.
Calling ppl toxic is just an ad hominem fallacy argument. They resort to a dismissive personal insult at detractors and critics about their personal character.

User Info: KialGreenwood

KialGreenwood
2 months ago#6
ManuMIAS posted...
just play this order:

RE Remake
RE2 Re-imagine or OG
RE3 Re-imagine or OG
RE5
Revelations 2
RE6

you can ignore the rest of the games because the story doesn't follow.

RE remake story is follow in RE3, then RE5 and then Revelations 2.
RE2 story is follow in RE6 and that's the close of the franchise.

Vendetta and RE7 are bad story media, you can skip them.

I love RE4 but if you playing the games for story you can avoid it, also RE Zero its pretty avoidable, what they say its pulled out of the hat and its not relevant in later games since Rebecca retires and Billy disappears.
I wanted to argue about the exclusion of RE4 but aside from Leon meeting a character again (you said no spoilers), it virtually moves on with little connection to the previous games. However, I think 4 is integral for what happens in 5 and 6 in particular with the las Plagos but that is pretty much covered in RE5 anyway. TC, it’s entirely your choice, but main numbered games all pretty much move the overall plot forward.

User Info: caboose84

caboose84
2 months ago#7
Well, all of the numbered entires are worth playing at least once, as well as both Revelations games. I don’t know why anyone would recommend you straight up skip one of the main entries in the series unless they’re just trying to be edgy or something.
PSN/GT/Steam: PounceBounce84
The official unofficial Flash of the Injustice 2 boards.

ManuMIAS
2 months ago#8
caboose84 posted...
Well, all of the numbered entires are worth playing at least once, as well as both Revelations games. I don’t know why anyone would recommend you straight up skip one of the main entries in the series unless they’re just trying to be edgy or something.

not trying to be edgy, I'm a big fan of RE4 but if you are new, and play the games in order you gonna find yourself clueless like what is this game being there.

the first Revelations doesn't add anything to the story, but Revelations 2 did better tryin to tie up what happened after RE5 and it builds the story before RE6.

User Info: RedeemedSiren

RedeemedSiren
2 months ago#9
Thank you all so much! I do want to play all of the main numbered games for sure, so based on your answers here, I think I'll play them like this:

RE0
REmake
RE2make
RE3make
RE4
RE5
RE Revelations 2
RE 6
RE7

Does that sound good if I definitely want to keep the numbered games in?

User Info: tracazoid

tracazoid
2 months ago#10
RedeemedSiren posted...
Thank you all so much! I do want to play all of the main numbered games for sure, so based on your answers here, I think I'll play them like this:

RE0
REmake
RE2make
RE3make
RE4
RE5
RE Revelations 2
RE 6
RE7

Does that sound good if I definitely want to keep the numbered games in?

Add Code Veronica, it's far more necessary to RE5 than RE2 or RE3.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Resident Evil Chronology
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A