• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Do you feel like Resident Evil is now "woke?"

User Info: Cybersai

Cybersai
3 weeks ago#1
Several old school franchises like Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, etc. went through a modern phase of being “woke.”

With Resident Evil the changes are obvious. Claire no longer has an open shirt in her default costume. Jill lost her strapless tube top in her default outfit. The women are constantly shown to be as tough as the men, something like Rebecca crying when she gets attacked by a Hunter in Remake would never fly today.

Ada wore a trenchcoat when she first appears instead of being sexualized from the start. If Code Veronica is remade Claire’s line to Alfred “You crossdressing freak!” will definitely need to be removed.

How do you feel about this?

User Info: Deanyzy

Deanyzy
3 weeks ago#2
'Woke' is a trigger term for pearl clutching gamers that think dressing up like the Joker makes them look cool. It's a catch all term for them to apply to anything they don't like.

User Info: ToveriJuri

ToveriJuri
3 weeks ago#3
Deanyzy posted...
'Woke' is a trigger term for pearl clutching gamers that think dressing up like the Joker makes them look cool. It's a catch all term for them to apply to anything they don't like.

This comment is pretty much just as idiotic as the position it's trying to argue against is. People need to stop seeing other people only as caricatures.
PSN: ToveriJuri
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Deanyzy
3 weeks ago#4
ToveriJuri posted...
This comment is pretty much just as idiotic as the position it's trying to argue against. People need to stop seeing other people only as caricatures.

^ Pearl clutching gamer who thinks that dressing up as the joker makes them look cool no.1

User Info: RiKuToTheMiGhtY

RiKuToTheMiGhtY
3 weeks ago#5
I agree some of the changes were stupid but REmake still had Rebecca as a scared and tired rookie. Ada was pretending to be a FBI agent instead of looking for her boyfriend John means she would not be using her sex appeal as her first option. The trench coat is more sensible when pretending to be part of the FBI.
doa-plus.com - We Press Forward. . . By Pressing Back.

User Info: Hero3ziz

Hero3ziz
3 weeks ago#6
Ada wearing a tenchcoat and sunglasses at night is an artistic decision rather than a political, it's sad that people can no longer differentiate between those nowadays. She's wearing the classic film noir spy attire. The remake has a bunch of noir themes and aesthetics in costumes, area design, music, and cutscene directions, and she's a spy. She eventually takes it off for and wears the sexy dress.

Jill wearing a tube top and a miniskirt for a zombie apocalypse made zero sense. RE3 director Aoyama admitted that the costume was meant to make her "cool, visually unique, some might say sexy". Having her wearing a Sarah Conner costume is a lot better.

As for Claire, I can't really say anything about that because her "classic costume" in the remake was originally meant to be her default costume, hence why it's slightly different (a tank top), but for some reason they changed their minds and make the new costume. Maybe they changed their minds due to modern politics, maybe not, we don't know. All I care about is her old costume looks a bit silly and her new one is very cool IMO.
I swear I'm not insane. Yeah, most likely not insane.

User Info: gergdangbabim

gergdangbabim
3 weeks ago#7
ToveriJuri posted...
This comment is pretty much just as idiotic as the position it's trying to argue against is. People need to stop seeing other people only as caricatures.

There is some truth to your latter comment, but come on, that was hilarious.

User Info: Fire_Emblem_

Fire_Emblem_
3 weeks ago#8
No
Ike is the best Fire Emblem character!
Formerly known as master_m11

Deanyzy
3 weeks ago#9
Hero3ziz posted...
Ada wearing a tenchcoat and sunglasses at night is an artistic decision rather than a political, it's sad that people can no longer differentiate between those nowadays. She's wearing the classic film noir spy attire. The remake has a bunch of noir themes and aesthetics in costumes, area design, music, and cutscene directions, and she's a spy. She eventually takes it off for and wears the sexy dress.

Jill wearing a tube top and a miniskirt for a zombie apocalypse made zero sense. RE3 director Aoyama admitted that the costume was meant to make her "cool, visually unique, some might say sexy". Having her wearing a Sarah Conner costume is a lot better.

As for Claire, I can't really say anything about that because her "classic costume" in the remake was originally meant to be her default costume, hence why it's slightly different (a tank top), but for some reason they changed their minds and make the new costume. Maybe they changed their minds due to modern politics, maybe not, we don't know. All I care about is her old costume looks a bit silly and her new one is very cool IMO.

Agreed. Whenever people see a change they don't like, they call it censorship (who is meant to be censoring Capcom?) when in fact they just want to take control of the creative process and force through what they want.

Claire looks better in the remake than she did in the original, it always seemed silly that someone riding a motorbike for potentially hours would wear something like she did. People tend to cover up when riding motorbikes because of protection and because it gets cold as hell.Claire wearing jeans and a jacket made more sense then what she wore before.

It's the same thing with Jill, even in the original game she had time to prepare in her apartment before escaping so why would she choose to wear an outfit that would likely limit her own movements and wouldn't be all that comfortable to wear? Nevermind the fact that her outfit wouldn't protect her much against zombies while her new one would be better for it (try biting through a pair of jeans).

Good character design doesn't revolve around whether or not people can fap to them, I think a lot of these gamers don't realise that.

User Info: TheOtherMike

TheOtherMike
3 weeks ago#10
Deanyzy posted...
Good character design doesn't revolve around whether or not people can fap to them, I think a lot of these gamers don't realise that.

This is really what it boils down to.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Do you feel like Resident Evil is now "woke?"
  • Post New Message