• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. "Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest game ever made."
RE4 is a great game.
Is it a great resident evil game? That's debatable.

but it's a great game.
Is Squid not entitled to the ink of his brow?
Team Futaba!!
FNFred posted...
I keep seeing how many Resident Evil players put RE4 on a golden pedestal in gaming and how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread but I don't see it. The controls are mega clunky, Ashley was annoying, both Leon and Ada became Avengers superheroes and the story as a whole felt like a soft reboot, barely mentioning anything related to the series as a whole. People say that RE7 was a departure and didn't feel like a RE title, but what about RE4? By the way, I thought it was a good action game but the best in the series let alone the greatest game ever made? Dafuq.

I'm genuinely curious as to why RE4 is seen as a masterpiece.

Because it invented the modern third person shooter thats why.

The reason it feels unremarkable now is because literally everything made after it pulls heavy inspiration from it.

User Info: AegisUrien

AegisUrien
4 weeks ago#13
Wasn't RE4 that started the whole ''Over the shoulder'' camera? I don't remember any games having the camera in this perspective.
Switch FC: SW-2041-4996-2128

User Info: Teddybearsolid

Teddybearsolid
4 weeks ago#14
My first, but easily the best. I like RER2, RE6, and RE5 next best.

It's one if the best reviewed games of all time. Gotta count for something.
Grey Warden of Ferelden, Commander Shepard of the Alliance, Dragonborn of Skyrim, yadda yadda... Look, kid, I've been around the block.

User Info: D_R_I_G

D_R_I_G
4 weeks ago#15
I can safely say i've played through and 100% RE4 more times than any other video game. To the point that i am actually sick of it now, which really sucks..
Something about the way the game was put together and responds is just so good. It's very deliberate about everything, and it blended a creepy world with fun gameplay perfectly.

As fun as it was, it had its time. I'm happy to see the current style of the RE2 remake taking the reins now. The action isn't nearly as over the top fun as 4, but it does make for a more true to form experience for an RE game.
AegisUrien posted...
Wasn't RE4 that started the whole ''Over the shoulder'' camera? I don't remember any games having the camera in this perspective.

Lol. there were plenty.
Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Ghost Hunter, Jet Force Gemini, SOCOM, max payne, Kill Switch, Mikami's own PN03, Ratchet and Clank, Red Dead Revolver... over the shoulder third person shooters were all over the place.

Is Squid not entitled to the ink of his brow?
Team Futaba!!

User Info: chaosvalentine

chaosvalentine
4 weeks ago#17
AegisUrien posted...

There were some games that had it before (Winback is usually the example, since it had a cover system too), but RE4 combined it with top production values to provide a "cinematic" feel. It was undeniably the trend setter.

User Info: edward18

edward18
4 weeks ago#18
It's fun as hell. That's why it's considered good.
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai

User Info: tracazoid

tracazoid
4 weeks ago#19
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
Lol. there were plenty.
Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Ghost Hunter, Jet Force Gemini, SOCOM, max payne, Kill Switch, Mikami's own PN03, Ratchet and Clank, Red Dead Revolver... over the shoulder third person shooters were all over the place.

Most of those games were third person shooters with the camera well behind the player's back even while shooting, not titles that used an over the shoulder format we use today. SOCOM 2 for example is not an over the shoulder third person shooter, Silent Hill wasn't an over the shoulder shooter and neither are Max Payne 1 and 2.

To answer TC's question, it was a very well made game that hit at the right time and place. It helped popularize the over the shoulder view that was rare within third person shooters and popularized it far more than a title like Kill Switch could ever hope to. And really, did it better than Kill Switch ever did as well. A well made game from a popular franchise that hit at just the right time to make a bomb go off within the industry around it, much like Final Fantasy VII and JRPG.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: furamuuru

furamuuru
4 weeks ago#20
That suitcase puzzle mini-game was fun.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. "Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest game ever made."
  • Post New Message