• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Why is an OPEN WORLD RACOON CITY too much to ask for? Huh? HAH!

User Info: SteelDragon2050

SteelDragon2050
1 month ago#81
TheOtherMike posted...
The only thing here that you're correct about is choosing between going to Grill 13 or the Press Office first, but even then the game leads you to Grill 13 with Carlos in the streets outside. "Investigate the streets" happens as you move through the game, that's not an optional location you can choose to explore in lieu of any other. You can't get to Uptown until you've completed 80% of the Downtown map. Going back to RPD serves no purpose, and even if it did backtracking is not an element exclusive or even relevant to open world games. You can't go to the substation until you get the battery. Going back to the warehouse is, again, backtracking. You're describing Metroidvania, not open world.
Bingo. That's mostly just backtracking, which until 4, was part of the series from the beginning. and Resident evil 1 sure as hell ain't open world.

User Info: TrueGB

TrueGB
1 month ago#82

FeatherineA posted...
People call every game with a crossroad open-world nowadays I see.

Yeah, a few alternate paths does not a non-linear game make.
Future Billionaire

User Info: kronos96

kronos96
1 month ago#83
TheOtherMike posted...
The only thing here that you're correct about is choosing between going to Grill 13 or the Press Office first, but even then the game leads you to Grill 13 with Carlos in the streets outside. "Investigate the streets" happens as you move through the game, that's not an optional location you can choose to explore in lieu of any other. You can't get to Uptown until you've completed 80% of the Downtown map. Going back to RPD serves no purpose, and even if it did backtracking is not an element exclusive or even relevant to open world games. You can't go to the substation until you get the battery. Going back to the warehouse is, again, backtracking. You're describing Metroidvania, not open world.

Yeah i think you forgot Stagla and the Substation there pal. No reason to go back? Yeah except for all the ammo that you are gonna need later.

Your problem is that you are simply confusing open world with sandbox. It's not about the size of the map, it's about how you tackle the objectives.

The game does not force you to play in any certain way. It gives you the tools so that you can choose how you progress. If you make it linear and predictable, it's completely up to you, don't blame the game.

User Info: SteelDragon2050

SteelDragon2050
1 month ago#84
The only time you have free choice is the tram parts. Most people pick up whatever they can, find a box if they're full, and pick up the rest so they don't have to come back later. But you do not get to choose outside that one section. Want to go to the gas station instead of R.P.D.? Nope, can't do that because the lockpick you need to go any further is in the damn station. Ammo that you find later is usually because you didn't have the key or the tool to open the area. This is not choice, it's backtracking with items you didn't have earlier. You cannot access the majority of the game without going to the R.P.D. but once you finish there, you never need to go back, unless you intentionally left items behind.

User Info: TheOtherMike

TheOtherMike
1 month ago#85
kronos96 posted...
Yeah i think you forgot Stagla and the Substation there pal. No reason to go back? Yeah except for all the ammo that you are gonna need later.

The occasional branching path doesn't make a game open or semi-open world. And I didn't forget anything. I already told you I'm replaying the game now. Just saved in the Clock Tower before the Nemmy fight a few minutes ago.

RPD doesn't repopulate ammo pickups, and again, even if it did, backtracking isn't exclusive to open world games.

kronos96 posted...
Your problem is that you are simply confusing open world with sandbox.

No. You're confusing Metroidvania elements with open world.

kronos96 posted...
It's not about the size of the map, it's about how you tackle the objectives.

I never said anything about the size of the map.

kronos96 posted...
The game does not force you to play in any certain way.

It absolutely does. I think you need to replay RE3 to reacquaint yourself with the restrictions it places on where you can go and when.

And please stop calling me "pal." I'm not being rude to you, I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

User Info: Recycled

Recycled
1 month ago#86
kronos96 posted...
Your problem is that you are simply confusing open world with sandbox. It's not about the size of the map, it's about how you tackle the objectives.
Sandbox means you are free to be creative with the tools you're given, it's not about maps, even if they correlate with having open/wide environments.
Open world means you have freedom to head mostly anywhere, usually from the very start. I say mostly because it's still fair game to restrict some areas with key items or story progession.

RE3 becomes technically "open" by the end, before the city hall, but it's also structured like a star-network (without any alternative paths to the same hotspot) and in the meantime, you're restricted to very few choices about where to go, and you need to go to them all anyway, so the freedom is quite limited. All it does is affect the outcome of some events really.
And BTW, DXHR is a linear game with wide areas and good level design.

Most games become open for that matter: other REs after unlocking doors, jRPGs once you gain access to an airship, metroidvanias / Souls games after bosses and shortcuts, etc. but that's still not the same as being able to go anywhere, and wherever you feel like it. I think a good feature to keep in mind is if the game forces you to traverse certain places to finish the game.

Personally, what causes a good impression is when I find there are a ton of areas that were left unexplored. I would dig a RE game where I later found out there's a water treatment plant far off in a forest in the city outskirts, that could be accessed by the highway, sewers, or some tourist route nearby; because previously I had managed to escape the city by exiting through the docks or hospital rooftop in a heli.

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
1 month ago#87
TheOtherMike posted...
No. You're confusing Metroidvania elements with open world

Except even super Metroid is more open world, if you actually played it. Sequence breaking allows you to go to any boss in any order, barring 3 very first ones and the end boss.

Or would you call that non linearity instead?

A lot of open world games still have mandatory linear events.

What defines an open world game?
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: Det_Beauregard

Det_Beauregard
1 month ago#88
I’m currently re-playing Dying Light for the first time since its release, and while I’m not a fan of all the melee and parkour stuff, it gives me an idea of what a possible open-world RE game would feel like. Obviously it would have to be set in Raccoon, and if it were solely single-player (I hate that chests and supplies respawn), I think it could work. It would need to have far more gunplay and preferably not be in first-person, but I really think it could work.

Also, while I’m sure most of you know this, the main character is voiced by the same actor who voiced Chris Redfield up until RE7.

User Info: Malevolent_Moon

Malevolent_Moon
1 month ago#89
This YT video basically explains how a RE open world game could work. But instead of trying to survive for a month, in a RE game it'd be about escaping the city. There could be several different means of escape, so players aren't really forced down any one path.

https://youtu.be/Jm0Zk5yh9vU
God's lonely man

User Info: Locke_Leonhart

Locke_Leonhart
1 month ago#90
TheOtherMike posted...

1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Why is an OPEN WORLD RACOON CITY too much to ask for? Huh? HAH!
  • Topic Archived