• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Why is an OPEN WORLD RACOON CITY too much to ask for? Huh? HAH!

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#101
TheOtherMike posted...
The ability to explore the vast majority of the world from the very beginning of the game, and to a lesser degree the ability to compete tasks in any chosen order.

That means BOTW isn't open world, as the majority of the world is unavailable for the very beginning until you get off the plateau, and that takes a bit.

Where is the line drawn? The super Mario World example has segmented stages. We can agree segmented stages are not open world.

But is Mario 64 open world to a degree? Each world in it you can complete tasks in any order, and after only a few, can go practically anywhere in the castle.
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: ChaozCloud

ChaozCloud
4 weeks ago#102
BotW opens up really early in the game, wheras RE3 never opens up completely.

In Mario 64 you need at minimum 50 stars and beat Bowser twice to reach all the stages except the final boss, which requires you to get 70. It's a non-linear game, but not an open world one.
PSN: TheRedMage ,only EU players need apply
All praise the poor Shrine Maiden, the Ordinary Magician and the holy being ZUN. Convert to Touhouism today.

User Info: Hard2kill_turk

Hard2kill_turk
4 weeks ago#103
When I think open world zombie survival, I think of dead rising and dead island.
Boring and repetitive gameplay come to mind, so no, thank you.
Don't be a dick.

User Info: kronos96

kronos96
4 weeks ago#104
TheOtherMike posted...
Yes, I know. I had to play through the entire city section to get to the Clock Tower. I literally played through the city areas days ago. It's very fresh in my memory.

It indisputably does. If RE3 were open world you wouldn't need to visit the bar before the RPD. You wouldn't need to visit the fountain outside Grill 13 before the substation. You wouldn't need to go all the way to the downtown area before visiting the Sales Office in uptown.

Have you even played any modern open world lately? Even in modern open world world games you need to follow some sort of order.

The mere fact that 2 people can explore diferent locations at any given time means that the game is definitely not linear and more open world, game gives you more freedom to explore. Semi open world is the way i described it. While also considering the limitations of the hardware and the pre rendered nature of the game. Context is what matters here.

You would have the freedom to explore virtually any location in Uptown and Downtown the instant you leave the warehouse, and that freedom simply doesn't exist.

In your mind open world= GTA.

Why the fck would you do that in a non sandbox, pre rendered graphics game for the PS1xera?

GTA does not define open world.

User Info: TheOtherMike

TheOtherMike
4 weeks ago#105
Have you even played any modern open world lately? Even in modern open world world games you need to follow some sort of order.

Yes I have, and none of them required substantial adherence to a set order. Maybe their story did, but you're generally free to ignore story missions and explore 80-100% of the game's world at your leisure. This is literally what defines an open world game.

The mere fact that 2 people can explore diferent locations at any given time means that the game is definitely not linear and more open world

This is wrong. At no point in RE3 can a player explore different locations "at any given time." At two points during the game you can choose between two new locations to visit, but you still must visit both regardless of which you visit first.

Yes, GTA is open world. GTA3, the only one I played extensively, is semi open world because the city opens up in large segments.

Why the f*** (corrected your censor bypass here) would you do that in a non sandbox, pre rendered graphics game for the PS1xera?

Why would I do what? By the way, GTA is not sandbox. MineCraft is sandbox. Terraria is sandbox. Sandbox games are defined by a lack of player limitations and the ability to create or reshape the world.

I never said it did.

Now, since you keep failing to address it, I'm going to repeat: If RE3 were open world you wouldn't need to visit the bar before the RPD. You wouldn't need to visit the fountain outside Grill 13 before the substation. You wouldn't need to go all the way to the downtown area before visiting the Sales Office in uptown.

Please explain how these limitations result in an open world game. Like I said before, you clearly don't know how these genres are defined if you think GTA is sandbox and RE3 is open world.

User Info: Recycled

Recycled
4 weeks ago#106
kronos96 posted...

The mere fact that 2 people can explore diferent locations at any given time means that the game is definitely not linear and more open world, game gives you more freedom to explore. Semi open world is the way i described it. While also considering the limitations of the hardware and the pre rendered nature of the game. Context is what matters here.

Why the fck would you do that in a non sandbox, pre rendered graphics game for the PS1xera?

Did you read my post?
I said RE3's world is structured like a star-graph.
Grab a map and plot the rooms as nodes and their connections as edges and count how many loops it has - this would be the amount of freedom you have, which is next to 0.

Even if you could go anywhere from the get go, you never have any choice on alternate routes, and you have to traverse every route one way or the other.
It's true open world games don't equate to GTA, but RE3, even at its most open state, is still not open world.
Open worlds let you skip areas altogether.

User Info: hunkisgod

hunkisgod
4 weeks ago#107
GTA is always brought up because they set the standard for open world for 19 years and most companies cant even compete with it(Ubisoft)

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
4 weeks ago#108
ChaozCloud posted...

In Mario 64 you need at minimum 50 stars and beat Bowser twice to reach all the stages except the final boss, which requires you to get 70. It's a non-linear game, but not an open world one.

Let me ask you this then: by this criteria, is Mario Odyessy open world?
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: ChaozCloud

ChaozCloud
4 weeks ago#109
Sega9599 posted...
Let me ask you this then: by this criteria, is Mario Odyessy open world?

I would say no. It has expansive levels but it's not open world.
PSN: TheRedMage ,only EU players need apply
All praise the poor Shrine Maiden, the Ordinary Magician and the holy being ZUN. Convert to Touhouism today.

User Info: TheOtherMike

TheOtherMike
4 weeks ago#110
Yeah, SMO has mostly linear level progression. The levels are usually open and expansive, but it's not like you can go to Luncheon Kingdom immediately after Cascade or anything like that.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Why is an OPEN WORLD RACOON CITY too much to ask for? Huh? HAH!
  • Topic Archived