• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Why do the RElitists dislike RE7?

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
1 week ago#31
the lack of anything that makes it recognizable as Resident Evil.

People compare RE7 to Outlast and Silent Hill because it felt very much more like those games than a Resident Evil one.

The enemy designs, the overall aesthetic, the plot, none of it felt like Resident Evil. It leaned much more towards Outlast (being chased by a regular guy as a borderline helpless schmuk in first person, complete with camcorder segments), and Silent Hill (The enemies, the more supernatural slant to the ghosts and the psychic hiveminds, etc).

Plus we'd been getting FPS indie horror games for years on steam so RE7 felt dime a dozen generic as well.

As VR Horror Game, it's second only to Fnaf VR. But as a Resident Evil game, well, it's not, the only two things "resident evil" about it is jack spontaneously grows G eyes in his final form, and there's a guy called Redfield during the end credits.

Honestly, the style of gameplay (FPV) doesn't matter, Resident Evil always experimented with different game styles, rail shooters, action, fixed camera tank controls, free movement, etc, etc. The issue is the tone, designs, themes and aesthetics that make a game recognizable as "resident evil" just weren't there.

GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: KarmelCHAOS

KarmelCHAOS
1 week ago#32
The last boss is the exact same boss as RE2/RE2make and I don't see anyone s***ting on that lol

User Info: Crimson_Storm

Crimson_Storm
1 week ago#33
KarmelCHAOS posted...
The last boss is the exact same boss as RE2/RE2make and I don't see anyone s***ting on that lol
No one is praising it either.
I'll never long for what might have been

User Info: KarmelCHAOS

KarmelCHAOS
1 week ago#34
Crimson_Storm posted...
No one is praising it either.

That's also fair

User Info: Crimson_Storm

Crimson_Storm
1 week ago#35
Degalon posted...
the lack of anything that makes it recognizable as Resident Evil.

People compare RE7 to Outlast and Silent Hill because it felt very much more like those games than a Resident Evil one.

The enemy designs, the overall aesthetic, the plot, none of it felt like Resident Evil. It leaned much more towards Outlast (being chased by a regular guy as a borderline helpless schmuk in first person, complete with camcorder segments), and Silent Hill (The enemies, the more supernatural slant to the ghosts and the psychic hiveminds, etc).

Plus we'd been getting FPS indie horror games for years on steam so RE7 felt dime a dozen generic as well.

As VR Horror Game, it's second only to Fnaf VR. But as a Resident Evil game, well, it's not, the only two things "resident evil" about it is jack spontaneously grows G eyes in his final form, and there's a guy called Redfield during the end credits.

Honestly, the style of gameplay (FPV) doesn't matter, Resident Evil always experimented with different game styles, rail shooters, action, fixed camera tank controls, free movement, etc, etc. The issue is the tone, designs, themes and aesthetics that make a game recognizable as "resident evil" just weren't there.
You summed up everything I was going to say. Those are the exact reasons I didn’t buy 7 and am not fond of it.
I'll never long for what might have been

User Info: tracazoid

tracazoid
1 week ago#36
KarmelCHAOS posted...

I would say it's worse, RE2/REmake 2 used G4/Super Tyrant as the last boss while Train Birkin/G5 was just a victory lap.

All three phases of Eveline are a victory lap. One is "block like three or four times and inject them for the win." The second phase is outright G5/Train Birkin but Eveline is a wall. The last phase is equally as set piece-y with little pay-off in being an actual fight.

RE2/REmake 2 has a double fight to act as a final boss, though it's two bosses, I've compared it before to Final Fantasy X where the final boss isn't the actual final boss but the boss before it is, acting as a "double bill" if you will. RE7's final boss is three phases of basically nothing. Barely more of a fight than Fable 2's final "boss".
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Sierra_Alpha

Sierra_Alpha
1 week ago#37
tracazoid posted...
I would say it's worse, RE2/REmake 2 used G4/Super Tyrant as the last boss while Train Birkin/G5 was just a victory lap.

All three phases of Eveline are a victory lap. One is "block like three or four times and inject them for the win." The second phase is outright G5/Train Birkin but Eveline is a wall. The last phase is equally as set piece-y with little pay-off in being an actual fight.

RE2/REmake 2 has a double fight to act as a final boss, though it's two bosses, I've compared it before to Final Fantasy X where the final boss isn't the actual final boss but the boss before it is, acting as a "double bill" if you will. RE7's final boss is three phases of basically nothing. Barely more of a fight than Fable 2's final "boss".

I ean you inject her three times and then shoot her with the Samurai Edge......and people defend this game....
Sierra_Alpha

User Info: tracazoid

tracazoid
1 week ago#38
Sierra_Alpha posted...
I ean you inject her three times and then shoot her with the Samurai Edge......and people defend this game....

Meh, a s*** final boss hardly makes or breaks a game or else nobody would remember or speak positively of Batman Arkham Asylum.

User Info: Hero3ziz

Hero3ziz
1 week ago#39
Sierra_Alpha posted...

Umm...yeah? The game is not just the final boss you know. No one can deny the final boss was disappointing. Heck no one can deny the second half of the game is a sharp drop in quality, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good game or that it doesn’t deserve to be defended.
I swear I'm not insane. Yeah, most likely not insane.

User Info: Hippaul

Hippaul
1 week ago#40
I didn't like anything after the Maguerite boss fight tbh. Lucas for example, sucks donkey balls as a character.

But before that I really liked it.
There's an amazing new champion sprinter in the town of Alexandria! The sprinter's name is "Hippaul." He's amazing!
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 3
  3. Why do the RElitists dislike RE7?
  • Post New Message