• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fantasian
  3. Will this ever come out on Steam/PC or other systems? Such a shame...

User Info: legaiaflame2

legaiaflame2
3 months ago#1
Why would they limit the release like this? Why not have it come out on multiple platforms e.g. Steam/PC, Switch etc.? Seems like such a waste when the game looks so unique and interesting.

User Info: Semi-DemiFiend

Semi-DemiFiend
3 months ago#2
It's coming out on Apple first because Apple is funding it. It'll likely be a timed exclusive like World's Emd Club is.
upload:ok

User Info: lightspeedracin

lightspeedracin
3 months ago#3
At best it might be a timed exclusive that might also come out on Android. I have a sneaking suspicion that it might simply be a more permanent exclusive title for Apple's gaming service due to Apple providing funding for production of this game.

It is also worth remembering that when Mistwalker was founded (in 2004) they got funding from Microsoft and they subsequently developed 3 titles for them, 1 of which unfortunately was cancelled. Those 2 titles were of course Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, neither of which ended up being released on a non-Microsoft home console (although Blue Dragon had sequels that were released on the Nintendo DS).

The other thing to remember is that the last 4-5 titles produced by Mistwalker were for Android/iOS (1 of those was only for iOS and another one was Terra Wars, which I'm not entirely sure was ever released).

User Info: OmniChris

OmniChris
2 months ago#4
It baffles me how stupid this company is when it comes to picking platforms to put it's games on. This game is going to get ignored hard being apple exclusive. How have they not learnt from Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?
(edited 2 months ago)

lightspeedracin
2 months ago#5
OmniChris posted...
It baffles me how stupid this company is when it comes to picking platforms to put it's games on. This game is going to get ignored hard being apple exclusive. How have they not learnt from Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?

It is a shame that almost all of the games that Mistwalker has ever worked on have been exclusive to a single platform, with the exception of the Terra Battle series being on iOS and Android. There are a few things to keep in mind, namely that Mistwalker is a pretty small studio (I think they have at most 20 employees) and they are limited in how much they can spend on developing their games. The reason Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and the cancelled Cry On games were exclusives to X-Box 360 was due to Microsoft providing Mistwalker with funds to establish the studio in the first place.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Mistwalker is more of a video game design studio that focuses on the development of the artwork, concepts, story, and music of the games and not the actual development (in terms of software programming). This is reflected in nearly all of their games that were developed for consoles or hand held gaming platforms being designed by them and outsourced to other studios such as Artoon and feelplus (both now part of AQ Interactive, they developed Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey).

Video game development is by no means inexpensive, although these days it's certainly cheaper than it was before, purchasing dev kits can get pretty expensive since studios generally require a few of them; I believe Sony charges about $2000 for each PS4 dev kit, whereas Microsoft is cheaper and gives developers the flexibility to use their regular Xbox Ones as a dev kit. I suspect this is one of the reasons why they pivoted to mobile development (the other being the popularity of mobile gaming) - developing games for iOS and Android is very cheap, it costs $25 (Android) and $100 (iOS) to officially become a developer and you could develop software for those platforms without needing a physical device to test the game, although that is a little discouraged since you are emulating an Android or iOS device and it can get slow.

I am a little surprised that they decided to develop Fantasian exclusively for Apple platforms since their last few releases were for both Android and iOS. I am sure personal preference might have played a role since Sakaguchi appears to be pretty fond of Apple products and has been for some time. I do wonder how much of an influence Terra Battle's success/failure factored into their decision. Terra Battle was a free to play game, but the mechanics of the game kind of pushed players to make in-app purchases and there is that impression that iOS users tend to spend more money on in-app purchases in comparison to Android users.

Despite having said all this, it is still quite possible that Fantasian could be released on other platforms at a later date, I wasn't aware until recently that a few of the games that were included with Fantasian during Apple's event where they introduced Apple Arcade have or will be released on other platforms:

• Where Cards Fall was released on Apple Arcade and will be coming soon to Switch, and at a later date to PC via Steam and the Epic Store.
• Beyond a Steel Sky was released on Apple Arcade (June 2020), then was released on PC (July 2020), and will be released on Switch, PS4, X-Box One (2021)
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Daymos256

Daymos256
2 months ago#6
Sakaguchi is probably broke and without apples funding he would never make the game. Apple is about as far away from the old school final fantasy audience as you can get. Sakaguchi isn't a creative genius.. he's more of an insane gambler.

Ports probably depend on how well the game sells. Mistwalker would need someone to pick up the bill to port the game. Nintendo or namco would probably be the best bet since Microsoft already got burned and Sony seems to be moving away from japanese devs, and I'm quite sure that square would lol at the game.
RPG Gamer | Now Playing: Grandia, Dragon Age Origins
Last finished: Baldurs Gate, Tokyo Xanadu, Trails in the Sky
(edited 2 months ago)

lightspeedracin
2 months ago#7
Daymos256 posted...
Sakaguchi is probably broke and without apples funding he would never make the game. Apple is about as far away from the old school final fantasy audience as you can get. Sakaguchi isn't a creative genius.. he's more of an insane gambler.

Ports probably depend on how well the game sells. Mistwalker would need someone to pick up the bill to port the game. Nintendo or namco would probably be the best bet since Microsoft already got burned and Sony seems to be moving away from japanese devs, and I'm quite sure that square would lol at the game.

I do wonder how badly they were effected financially when they shutdown Terra Battle. I still don't get what happened with the failed launch of Terra Battle 2, I know when I tried to play it I gave up after not understanding how to play it, it seemed like quite a bit of a departure from the original game's gameplay. I am guessing that the as a consequence of the failure of Terra Battle 2 they ended up shutting down Terra Battle.

I do wonder to what extent Apple financially assisted Mistwalker with Fantasian though, since if this game might be Sakaguchi's last game and Uematsu's last one as a primary composer it would be a shame if the audience is limited to just Apple platforms (I'm probably going to end up buying a bluetooth controller to play this).

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
2 months ago#8
Since the game is on Apple Arcade which is a paid monthly subscription how will Apple even know if the game is a success or not? If more people subscribe when the game comes out? I mean isn't this a premium game and not going to be something filled with micro transactions? I mean what is Apple expecting out of it exactly?

And well I got three free months of Apple arcade with my iPad so I won't even be paying the monthly fee to play this game.
Occam's razor: The simplest solution (answer) is most likely the right one

lightspeedracin
2 months ago#9
creativerealms posted...
Since the game is on Apple Arcade which is a paid monthly subscription how will Apple even know if the game is a success or not? If more people subscribe when the game comes out? I mean isn't this a premium game and not going to be something filled with micro transactions? I mean what is Apple expecting out of it exactly?

And well I got three free months of Apple arcade with my iPad so I won't even be paying the monthly fee to play this game.

I'd hazard a guess that Apple has ways of seeing how people are using their Apple Arcade platform so if they see an uptick in people joining the platform or sticking around due to Fantasian, I would think they would see that as a success.

I might have already mentioned in an earlier post, but there hasn't been any games that have really attracted me to Apple's Arcade platform besides Fantasian, it is literally the only reason I will sign up for the service (paid or not).

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
2 months ago#10
legaiaflame2 posted...
Why would they limit the release like this? Why not have it come out on multiple platforms e.g. Steam/PC, Switch etc.? Seems like such a waste when the game looks so unique and interesting.
Hopefully there will be a port but the game hasn’t even finished yet and it’s the hottest looking product on Apple Arcade.

I unfortunately feel like the Apple Arcade won’t stick around and once it does this game might be gone. As much as I love the developers they don’t always make the best porting decisions.

Which I get, porting is time consuming and costly. But I’m still smarting for not finishing terra battle 2
MGM Studios isn't SpieIberg. Fox isn't George RR Martin. Square Enix isn't Hironobu Sakaguchi. Great storyteIIers are who make great stories, not companies.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Fantasian
  3. Will this ever come out on Steam/PC or other systems? Such a shame...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A