• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  3. Bailed on FFX, will I like this game?

User Info: beerhammer1

beerhammer1
1 month ago#1
I was trying to play FFX and X2 , but just couldn’t get into and am walking away. I didn’t like the battle or leveling systems and the story and characters didn’t grab me and I hated Blitzball! The game just seemed to not age well imo. Do you think this game will have aged more better?

User Info: Tables

Tables
1 month ago#2
I played FFX and X-2 earlier this year. X I thought was broadly pretty good, though there were some aspects I disliked (e.g. unskippable cutscenes, especially before a difficult boss fight - having to watch a 10 minute cutscene again just because you died to the boss after's third phase OHKO nuke attack is not fun). The story I thought was pretty good overall, and I liked most of the characters. X-2 I couldn't get into, which was especially weird as some modern job based RPGs like Bravely and Octopath are some of my favourite games of the last decade.

Xenoblade I don't think is really anything like either FFX or X-2. It's a real time combat system rather than turn based. It's also a lot more modern - the original came out in 2010 in Japan, 2011 internationally versus like 2002 for FFX, and it shows. While there's definitely some aspects that haven't aged so well (e.g. the stunning long range views that the Wii pulled off 10 years ago are now not quite so amazing even though they're in HD, because so many other games have some similar and better with newer technology), the core gameplay is still great, and the story still holds up.
Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

User Info: TeslaCoi1

TeslaCoi1
1 month ago#3
TC, I'm the same as you, I played a few chapters of the FFX Remaster, and then quit it because I thought it was boring. Story was decent to me, but the gameplay not so much, and the graphics just hadn't aged well to me. Meanwhile, I love Xenoblade Chronicles. So yeah, I say the chances are good that you'll like this game.

beerhammer1
1 month ago#4
TeslaCoi1 posted...
TC, I'm the same as you, I played a few chapters of the FFX Remaster, and then quit it because I thought it was boring. Story was decent to me, but the gameplay not so much, and the graphics just hadn't aged well to me. Meanwhile, I love Xenoblade Chronicles. So yeah, I say the chances are good that you'll like this game.

Awesome! I hate quiting a game but I find the older I get the more finicky I become. I just bailed on Nino Kuni before FFX, hated the combat and it felt like a game for little kids. I tried really hard to like it but 20 hours in I had to just bail.

User Info: rosacea

rosacea
4 weeks ago#5
FFX is certainly of its time. Plus the leveling and combat was common back then but not as popular now.

XBC combat is much more active. Youll be using position and timing a lot. The leveling system isnt as complicated as the sphere grid either. Its more straightforward in some ways, though getting affinity up is definitely a very different system compared to any FF game.

There's also a few other differences that you might prefer. But if you dont like traditional FF games like FFX then its hard to know if you'll like this either. Maybe you just have bad taste in games! But each to their own.
The grass is full of clingy things

User Info: TeslaCoi1

TeslaCoi1
4 weeks ago#6
beerhammer1 posted...
Awesome! I hate quiting a game but I find the older I get the more finicky I become. I just bailed on Nino Kuni before FFX, hated the combat and it felt like a game for little kids. I tried really hard to like it but 20 hours in I had to just bail.

Sad to hear you didn't like Ni no Kuni. I think it's a fantastic game.

beerhammer1
4 weeks ago#7
rosacea posted...
FFX is certainly of its time. Plus the leveling and combat was common back then but not as popular now.

XBC combat is much more active. Youll be using position and timing a lot. The leveling system isnt as complicated as the sphere grid either. Its more straightforward in some ways, though getting affinity up is definitely a very different system compared to any FF game.

There's also a few other differences that you might prefer. But if you dont like traditional FF games like FFX then its hard to know if you'll like this either. Maybe you just have bad taste in games! But each to their own.

I don’t believe I have bad taste in games at all, I just have very limited game time and don’t “tough it out” on games I’m not enjoying at all.

1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  3. Bailed on FFX, will I like this game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

Why can't I raise area affinity? Side Quest1 Answer
How long does it take to beat Xenoblade on casual mode? Main Quest1 Answer
Have I underleveled? Main Quest2 Answers
Is this game too hard? Tech Support5 Answers
How to get Rainbow Slug? Side Quest3 Answers