• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  3. Recommended Skill Links for each Party Member? (possible spoilers)

User Info: TheRewster

TheRewster
4 weeks ago#1
(I'm surprised zerokid didn't put together a guide for this like they did with Arts and Gems.)

Anyway, I'd like to know people's thoughts on the best skills to link for each character in this game. Note that I'm currently at the end of the game (level 99, defeated all Unique Monsters) but haven't started New Game+ so I have a maximum of 255 Affinity Coins for each party member. And I know that skill needs vary based on what you're trying to do at any given time in the game, but I'm looking for a general setup to maximize the individual strengths of each of the seven characters. (I'll likely blow through New Game+ with this build.)

What do you all recommend? What are the must-have Skill Links in particular?

User Info: RAlexa21th

RAlexa21th
4 weeks ago#2
Ether skills for Ether party members.

Agility skills for all physical party members.

Dunban's aura extension skill for Reyn and Sharla.

Riki's nighttime cooldown reduction skill for everyone.

Riki's nighttime strength buff skill for physical attackers.

Riki's back attack accuracy for Sharla and Melia.

Shulk's and Reyn's Chain Link extension skills for everyone.

Melia's Enlightenment skill for all Ether attackers.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Gotta_Be_Blue

Gotta_Be_Blue
4 weeks ago#3
Chain of Friendship, Glorious Future, and Explosion of Energy are the big ones that come to mind.

Some other good ones: Ultimate Defense, Showdown Stance, Shoulder-to-shoulder... I forget the names, but there are two skills that heal the party after a chain attack, and one that heals with burst affinity.

User Info: TeslaCoi1

TeslaCoi1
3 weeks ago#4
Let's not forget Seven's skill that turns all double attacks into critical hits, shall we? Couple with Dunban's Critical Drain and a Double Attack Up VI gem, and go to town.

User Info: Tables

Tables
3 weeks ago#5
TeslaCoi1 posted...
Let's not forget Seven's skill that turns all double attacks into critical hits, shall we? Couple with Dunban's Critical Drain and a Double Attack Up VI gem, and go to town.

RIP your affinity coin count.

But really, this build is basically only practical for Seven. Dunban has Heat Haze, and even outside of that has pretty high crit weapons, so it generally isn't worth the 75 coins to link critical combo. Shulk can get even higher crit rates, tends to rely on auto attacks less, and would have to spend 125 coins on the combination, so it makes even less sense. And everyone else is even worse for it.

Critical Combo really is much worse in DE compared to in XB1. The nerf to how it worked in chain attacks has stripped away a significant section of its strength. It's still good as a source of passive healing but no longer can be relied on for near guaranteed full heals during chains.
Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

User Info: TheRewster

TheRewster
3 weeks ago#6
Thanks for the replies, everyone! =D

Tables posted...
Critical Combo really is much worse in DE compared to in XB1. The nerf to how it worked in chain attacks has stripped away a significant section of its strength. It's still good as a source of passive healing but no longer can be relied on for near guaranteed full heals during chains.
Wait, what? I didn't know Critical Combo got nerfed. Can you go into more detail? Was there anything else nerfed in DE from the original?

User Info: Tables

Tables
3 weeks ago#7
In the original Critical Combo's healing was multiplied by your chain multiplier. So at e.g. 3x chain, you could use Soaring Tempest and heal 8% HP per hit per enemy if you had Heat Haze active, which very often meant an easy full heal off of each chain attack. Or similarly with Sword Drones, at max chain it was 16% per hit and up to 10 crits, so almost always just fully healed you. Now that no longer applies and you only get 2% per hit.

It was perhaps a bug fix rather than a nerf, I suppose. I'm not sure.

As for other nerfs from the original, I can't think of anything immediately. If anything more things got buffed, slightly, such as the cap for running speed (previously was +25% from all sources combined, now the skill links add on top of the up to 25% from gems - meaning a cap of +34%).
Everyone is entitled to my own opinion.

TeslaCoi1
3 weeks ago#8
Tables posted...
RIP your affinity coin count.

But really, this build is basically only practical for Seven. Dunban has Heat Haze, and even outside of that has pretty high crit weapons, so it generally isn't worth the 75 coins to link critical combo. Shulk can get even higher crit rates, tends to rely on auto attacks less, and would have to spend 125 coins on the combination, so it makes even less sense. And everyone else is even worse for it.

To be fair, I haven't actually used thic combo yet, other than, as you said, for Seven, because of how many affinity coins it costs (I haven't linked explosion of Energy to Melia yet either, for the same reason, even though I really really want to...). I plan to in a NG+ (or +++, who knows) though, once I've farmed coins. Mainly for Dunban. Shulk won't need it anyway, once he gets Monado 3, and Reyn attacks too slowly anyway. The rest don't need it. The healing thing is just a bonus to me btw, the bigger goal is building party gauge and tension really fast, and being able to use powerful Talent Arts frequently (which very much is a thing with both Shulk and Dunban). As for Dunban having Heat Haze; Using Heat Haze means not using Peerless, so I've never really considered it as the better option. I want to build party gauge and tension quickly, and do as much damage as possible, not choose one over the other. Besides, I consider losing all aggro a bad thing for Dunban. If it was Shulk, then sure, great, but not for tanks like Dunban and Reyn. And his weapons, well...I'm currently level 90 and busy with the postgame, and my Dunban is currently still stuck at 21% critical rate, which is definitely much lower than I want it. Maybe if I could get a good Critical Up gem, but I still only have a couple level 2 Critical Up gems, which don't do me any good (I don't even bother using them)...It annoys me that Dunban doesn't have a Skill tree with a passive boost to critical rate like Shulk and Reyn do...100 extra Strength is nice and all, but I'd rather have more critical rate.

RIP your affinity coin count.Critical Combo really is much worse in DE compared to in XB1. The nerf to how it worked in chain attacks has stripped away a significant section of its strength. It's still good as a source of passive healing but no longer can be relied on for near guaranteed full heals during chains.
In the original Critical Combo's healing was multiplied by your chain multiplier. So at e.g. 3x chain, you could use Soaring Tempest and heal 8% HP per hit per enemy if you had Heat Haze active, which very often meant an easy full heal off of each chain attack. Or similarly with Sword Drones, at max chain it was 16% per hit and up to 10 crits, so almost always just fully healed you. Now that no longer applies and you only get 2% per hit.

Yeah, this honestly sounds like a fix to make it how it was supposed to work from the beginning to me. The old way just sounds broken.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
I haven't yet unlocked any new skill trees for any of my characters, but I think putting Sharla in heavy armor might be one of the more strange things I've done. It gives a massive boost to defense, but I'm absolutely clueless on how the armor weight mechanic works.

Also, I just got to the Fallen Mechonis Arm on my first ever playthrough, and all my characters are currently at level 56, so please keep that in mind.
Pokemon Ultra Moon IGN: Urara FC: 3024-9786-7594 System name: Mike
US Pacific time zone (GMT -08:00, Available 15:00-22:00 Mon-Fri, 10:00-22:00 Sat-Sun my time)
(edited 1 week ago)

TeslaCoi1
6 days ago#10
ForsakenDarknes posted...
I haven't yet unlocked any new skill trees for any of my characters, but I think putting Sharla in heavy armor might be one of the more strange things I've done. It gives a massive boost to defense, but I'm absolutely clueless on how the armor weight mechanic works.

Also, I just got to the Fallen Mechonis Arm on my first ever playthrough, and all my characters are currently at level 56, so please keep that in mind.

You can subtract each point of Weight from your character's Agility stat. So if you have 150 agility, and have 10 in weight with no weight reducing skills, your actual agility is basically 140. Weight reducing skills from Dunban and Shulk take care of this problem.

As for armor and defence, each point of physical or ether defence protects against exactly 1 point of damage, so the difference between, say, 600 or 700 physical defence, and 800, or even 900, is actually rather negligible. A 2000 damage attack will then do 1400/1300 damage, instead of 1200/1100, which hardly matters. Then, if you factor in things like the fact that you really need to skill link Melia's fairly costly (in terms of affinity coins) Heavyweight Expert skill in order for Heavy armor to have passable ether defence, and the fact that physical attacks can be dodged, but ether attacks cannot, and that finding decent slotted heavy armor is really difficult (good gems are way way more important than a few extra points of defence, especially later on in the game), then it really isn't worth it imo. It becomes even less of a point in postgame, where the stronger Unique Monsters have attacks that deal damage in the several thousands. For mitigating, blocking, and surviving damage and the more dangerous attacks, you have Reyn's Last Stand, Dunban's Jaws of Death, Sharla's Shield Bullet, Melia's Reflect, Riki's Play Dead, and, most importantly, Shulk's overpowered Monado Armor and Monado Shield arts (which make a hell of a lot of difference). Sharla also gets the Middleweight Expert skill for free, so it makes even less sense to bother with Heavy armor in her case imo. So yeah. Once I had access to full sets of Lancelot medium armor for everyone, I just equipped it on everyone, and never looked back. Well, except for Glory Gauntlets for the arms on the physical attackers postgame, that is.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  3. Recommended Skill Links for each Party Member? (possible spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

How to get Rainbow Slug? Side Quest3 Answers
Is this game too hard? Tech Support5 Answers
How to 100% the game? Main Quest1 Answer
What's making me auto level up? Plot1 Answer
Can I continue the game after beating it? Main Quest1 Answer