• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  3. got XC1 and 2 for switch forgot i hate the combat: tips to get into it more

User Info: leeman3104

leeman3104
4 weeks ago#11
Darktempest posted...
Oh, and one other thing - we're not your gaming buddies whom you've known since middle school, we're *random people on the internet*. We don't, and can't, know everything about you and your preferences, and we can't tell you if you'll like something or not.

You'll need to ask specific questions if you want to get anywhere.
@Darktempest
i was aiming to give lots of info so you'd be able to answer it (haha 'tried' anyway - apparently except for actually specifying the questions - i'm a f***ing idiot)

i had a question about whether XC1's combat will be of more interest to me

for reference i added the details of what i disliked and liked about XCX's combat which is comparable given there's a lot of similarities

i'm WELL aware that just asking "will i like X" with no info should give the response "f*** knows - we don't know you or what you like"

i said "i hate the combat" as the title: i explain what i like and dislike in XCX and mentioned that so far XC is 'dragging' for me

and i asked for tips on maybe how that could change: if it was XCX a good response might be 'well the mechanics of the fights change somewhat later and it's less of an issue so you can explore a lot more without worrying about the fights as much'

though i now understand i did f*** up in my attempts with communicating what i was thinking - i do suppose i should've offered up very specific questions (as i basically gave the info trying to clarify what i meant without asking the actual request for info) so let's give this a shot:

-------------
does XC1's combat in general change much later on: and by that i mean early on it's basically just basic attacks skills that can have combo effects like stagger to topple or have traits like 'extra damage from behind' - i mention i don't like the XC general combat and what i mean by that is 'the sort of auto attack\waiting for your skills to recharge' being the totality of basic combat: given it's the first XC game i was worried it might not have much past that
XCX2 has various weapons the mc can use overdrives eventually providing a spike in damage potential that was kinda needed for that game at some point skells could change up not only how you fight and 'built' your party bit also navigating the world: XC1 doesn't need s*** identical ot it or whatever but 'does it play a little differently past the first like 5 hours' probably isn't that hard of a thing to understand: not that it's needed either a lot of turn based rpgs are exactly that only getting new skills - but i also didn't dislike their combat even at it's base level either
-----------
are the characters a tad more customizable than i've seen so far: not asking for the moon but essentially shulk being largely stuck in the exact same sort of stuff he's got so far for another 50 hours kinda feels dull - i know there's some changes and new skills learned that's not what i mean
but it's like asking if say it'll sorta be like an FF title where the 'black mage' character might only learn offensive spells and basically that's it - no sort of flavor no customization at all just level for higher stats and fire fira and firaga
or if it might be a little more like i dunno your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic - or is it even adding the agi stuff to shulk as is he's sort of stuck in the same 'role' just somewhat more agile
i'm not asking to make shulk into a mage or whatever - or even like XCX's protag customization - just curious as to my options and that tends to make my interest more profund (again: i got into XCX despite it's basic combat' partially because of that)
i get that there's alternate allies there to help deal with that but even then it's using the same sort of barely fleshed out character (probably overdramatic) for 50+ hours doing the same thing in combat 99% of the time - if the combat feels like it's dragging it's not gonna be a good time
--------------------------------
how varied is the terrain (and to an extent how large on average most of the open areas are) - i get that there's two giants and one is biological focused and one's mechanical in nature and there's s*** like caves and whatnot: does it go beyond that however
is there more than caves and grassy plains on bionis: are there zones that bare a much more striking difference to one another beyond just structure outside of there being a difference between the outside and caverns and whatnot: is there a faster way to navigate around later as 'utterly huge' areas this gen i'm sorta burned out on especially if there's little reason for actually exploring around and quickly being able to navigate around easier like in XCX (which i feel did pretty good open world game - not that XC is but huge maps with little reason to actually explore around and an extended travel time just because it's so ginormous - kinda an issue i've had with a lot of games this gen)
XCX even within the 'grass' continent had VERY diverse terrain at points - so did the jungle and a few other areas
------------------------------
is there a way for me to maybe get a sort of 'broken' ish setup so if i still can't get into the combat: so i can maybe just have this setup and kinda ignore trying to enjoy the mechanics of the fighting so much and instead try to enjoy the exploration or the story or other mechanics of the game and whatnot instead: XCX's basic combat sucked: it didn't really change over time but it had things that were less 'basic' and i got into and i REALLY enjoyed other aspects of the game quite a lot that made it less of an issue - if i can't find a way to sort of mitigate the annoyance of the combat i probably won't be able to enjoy a game this long nearly as well even if there's other s*** i like in it
--------------------------
i kinda like a 'good' grind in video games to a degree: just by this clearly i've got issues
but what i mean about that is some of my favorite games ever have been games where you could do a lot of stuff to get really strong or sort of rise to side\postgame content that's far beyond the 'base' game's sort of level
does XC have sort of side\postgame content that is more difficult to make the grind 'worthwhile" - or is it just a lot of sidequests and once you get into endgame that's sort of the highest tier of content you can do - admittedly lots of sidequests and longer story in general will help my 'enjoyment' of it but it's still something i'm interested in and hope is a thing
---------------------------

and sort of in general - i've given a lot of info about sort of what i liked and disliked about XCX and what so far i've been kinda dissatisfied with so far in XC (and conversely what i've found lacking in XC1 and seemingly have in XC2 though not as much given i got it today and i made this post a week ago: little bit in replies however)

so taking this into account - my likes and dislikes about XCX and what i've experienced so far with XC as well as what sort of 'interests' me and disinterests me and your knowledge of XC later
do you think i'd be better off writing XC1 off or should i sort of push through as there's a point where my issues to a degree are alleviated: doesn't need to be 'perfectly' done and i realize that even with this info it's to a large degree 'f***ed if i know' - even something on paper that could look 'perfect' for me could be something i just don't click with
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
https://imgur.com/a/QjeVqSD me versus sjw/antisjw/censorship stuff
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Darktempest

Darktempest
4 weeks ago#12
Ooooook, let's see now...

leeman3104 posted...
does XC1's combat in general change much later on

Yes, but it's not as in-your-face as XBX's "congrats, you have Skells now" - you have to actively go out and look for it. There are plenty of people who get through the game with your current Shulk/Reyn/Sharla gameplay and can't even imagine any other team working. Heck, there's a big topic on the first page of this board right now regarding just that.

Take Chain Attack for example - you've probably used it already but didn't think it was anything special. And that's because right now, you don't have access to the resources (affinity and skill links) that make it amazing. On an endgame level, Chain Attack can easily keep an enemy permanently immobilized, and if you're really good at timing your B button presses, you can even defeat a superboss in a single chain.

leeman3104 posted...
are the characters a tad more customizable than i've seen so far

I think you already said everything that needs to be said with this:

your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic

Cuz that's exactly how the characters in XB1 are. There's no blank slate character like Cross though, I'm afraid.

leeman3104 posted...
how varied is the terrain (and to an extent how large on average most of the open areas are)

For the most part, each area/map is a different type of terrain. Bionis' Leg is one of the biggest open areas, so that's about as big as they get. The smallest open areas are maybe 60% of that size.

leeman3104 posted...
is there a way for me to maybe get a sort of 'broken' ish setup so if i still can't get into the combat

The most broken setup is simply to outlevel the enemy. There are serious benefits/penalties from being 3 and 6 levels above/below the enemy. This is probably how most casuals get through the game with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla.

[Edit] Oh, and a good part of the endgame fun lies in overcoming the aforementioned penalties in situations where you are severely underleveled in comparison to the enemy.

leeman3104 posted...
does XC have sort of side\postgame content that is more difficult to make the grind 'worthwhile"

There's a good chunk of endgame content that's above the final boss's level, and of course there's the superbosses. So basically the same as XBX's postgame, except there's less stuff in terms of hours spent after beating the final boss.

leeman3104 posted...
do you think i'd be better off writing XC1 off or should i sort of push through as there's a point where my issues to a degree are alleviated

All I will say is that XB1 and XB2 are mainstream games that are designed so that casuals can casually enjoy them without thinking too deeply about what they're doing. That said, there's a lot of depth for those who want to min/max the hell out of everything, as evidenced by the mountain of threads discussing the best endgame setups.

In contrast, casuals playing XBX will wonder what the point of the game even is given the threadbare main story and then proceed to get frustrated with getting stomped repeatedly by a high level monster that's blocking their path and just ragequit. It is 100% targeted at min/maxers who are constantly looking for a better way to do things.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: leeman3104

leeman3104
4 weeks ago#13
@Darktempest
thanks very much for the reply and input
Darktempest posted...
Ooooook, let's see now...

Yes, but it's not as in-your-face as XBX's "congrats, you have Skells now" - you have to actively go out and look for it. There are plenty of people who get through the game with your current Shulk/Reyn/Sharla gameplay and can't even imagine any other team working. Heck, there's a big topic on the first page of this board right now regarding just that.

Take Chain Attack for example - you've probably used it already but didn't think it was anything special. And that's because right now, you don't have access to the resources (affinity and skill links) that make it amazing. On an endgame level, Chain Attack can easily keep an enemy permanently immobilized, and if you're really good at timing your B button presses, you can even defeat a superboss in a single chain.
sounds alright - kinda hoped it might be more than that but that's at least something - and potentially fairly serviceable

probably gonna f*** up those b presses though - i ended up with a team of 4 level 60 skells because i got to 1 insurance ticket (you start with 10 chances to 'not f*** up your skell due to your not pressing the button) and then gave it to an ally (who can't junk it) and made another - so essentially i've died in a skell like 20+ times without successfully pressing the b button at the right time because i was paying attention to other s*** like skill cooldowns or whatever

I think you already said everything that needs to be said with this:

your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic

Cuz that's exactly how the characters in XB1 are. There's no blank slate character like Cross though, I'm afraid.
i figured they wouldn't be as diverse as cross but to a degree they're (xcx side characters) still customizable pretty greatly - i don't mean skill wise so much as cross but the allies in XCX have quite a wide range of abilities that can be chosen for different setups passives to help with those setups potentially gear oriented towards that sort of thing etc - even with two weapons and not every skill available for either that's still like 20 abilities to choose from as well as different swords and guns and armor pieces with different traits and the augments

you can have an offensive focused elma that's more worried about her positioning skills or whatnot - or a more buff or debuff oriented one that might be more interested in trying to buff herself or the party rather than being the main damage dealer - like with ghost factory

more specifically you could have one of those characters (can't recall her name atm) with that sort of mind control \ sacrifice hp to keep everyone's TP topped up or whatever - it's not the only way to use that character it's just a viable specific one for her

For the most part, each area/map is a different type of terrain. Bionis' Leg is one of the biggest open areas, so that's about as big as they get. The smallest open areas are maybe 60% of that size.
sounds pretty good - depending on how many areas there are might change but just being that large for little real reason if that trend continued would've been kinda dull but if it's sort the odd man out that's alright

The most broken setup is simply to outlevel the enemy. There are serious benefits/penalties from being 3 and 6 levels above/below the enemy. This is probably how most casuals get through the game with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla.
eh that'd doable - levels didn't matter nearly as much in XCX (partially because a handful of stats here or there didn't help and survival was largely resists - you can have high defenses and still get your ass kicked easily but like 30 ish % on different things is worth like 10X the defense for some stupid reason)
plus the structure of XCX too - being so open world with the level diversity kinda doesn't matter if you're like 5 levels higher than a given target - there's probably something 20 levels higher within a minute's movement of you

[Edit] Oh, and a good part of the endgame fun lies in overcoming the aforementioned penalties in situations where you are severely underleveled in comparison to the enemy.
sounds weird but tbh that's something i actually liked in XCX too - though given the weird defense sort of thing it basically boiled down to knowing the enemy and prep work - you could solo most superbosses with enough work put in - the highest leveled basically just 100% ether immunity and 'don't get ether counterattacked' sort of thing and eventually regardless of your other s*** you'll win

There's a good chunk of endgame content that's above the final boss's level, and of course there's the superbosses. So basically the same as XBX's postgame, except there's less stuff in terms of hours spent after beating the final boss.
eh that's alright - XCX has a bit of a multiplayer sort of potential so figure that might be a reason it was done more - that and even if you've got a decent character setup there's still plenty of work for a OP as f*** level 60 skell and max augments and looting the best gear and whatnot

All I will say is that XB1 and XB2 are mainstream games that are designed so that casuals can casually enjoy them without thinking too deeply about what they're doing. That said, there's a lot of depth for those who want to min/max the hell out of everything, as evidenced by the mountain of threads discussing the best endgame setups.

In contrast, casuals playing XBX will wonder what the point of the game even is given the threadbare main story and then proceed to get frustrated with getting stomped repeatedly by a high level monster that's blocking their path and just ragequit. It is 100% targeted at min/maxers who are constantly looking for a better way to do things.
this sounds good too - clearly i'm probably more one of those more min\maxers (i don't entirely like how everything's done but still enjoyed it - and other games i've done exactly that deeply like FFX restructuring the entire sphere grid for max stats)

and while i've liked shallow games i've usually enjoyed their mechanics more as well - being able to have it get 'deeper' later on i think (as well as the other info) i think answers whether i should continue or write it off as just 'not for me' - yeah probably
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
https://imgur.com/a/QjeVqSD me versus sjw/antisjw/censorship stuff
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  3. got XC1 and 2 for switch forgot i hate the combat: tips to get into it more
  • Post New Message

Need More Help?

1. Guides and Walkthroughs 24 Guides / Maps
  2. GameFAQs Q&A 155 Questions (155 Answered)

GameFAQs Q&A

How to get Rainbow Slug? Side Quest3 Answers
Is this game too hard? Tech Support5 Answers
How to 100% the game? Main Quest1 Answer
What's making me auto level up? Plot1 Answer
Can I continue the game after beating it? Main Quest1 Answer