1 month ago #13
@Darktempest
thanks very much for the reply and input
Darktempest posted...
Ooooook, let's see now...

Yes, but it's not as in-your-face as XBX's "congrats, you have Skells now" - you have to actively go out and look for it. There are plenty of people who get through the game with your current Shulk/Reyn/Sharla gameplay and can't even imagine any other team working. Heck, there's a big topic on the first page of this board right now regarding just that.

Take Chain Attack for example - you've probably used it already but didn't think it was anything special. And that's because right now, you don't have access to the resources (affinity and skill links) that make it amazing. On an endgame level, Chain Attack can easily keep an enemy permanently immobilized, and if you're really good at timing your B button presses, you can even defeat a superboss in a single chain.
sounds alright - kinda hoped it might be more than that but that's at least something - and potentially fairly serviceable

probably gonna f*** up those b presses though - i ended up with a team of 4 level 60 skells because i got to 1 insurance ticket (you start with 10 chances to 'not f*** up your skell due to your not pressing the button) and then gave it to an ally (who can't junk it) and made another - so essentially i've died in a skell like 20+ times without successfully pressing the b button at the right time because i was paying attention to other s*** like skill cooldowns or whatever

I think you already said everything that needs to be said with this:

your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic

Cuz that's exactly how the characters in XB1 are. There's no blank slate character like Cross though, I'm afraid.
i figured they wouldn't be as diverse as cross but to a degree they're (xcx side characters) still customizable pretty greatly - i don't mean skill wise so much as cross but the allies in XCX have quite a wide range of abilities that can be chosen for different setups passives to help with those setups potentially gear oriented towards that sort of thing etc - even with two weapons and not every skill available for either that's still like 20 abilities to choose from as well as different swords and guns and armor pieces with different traits and the augments

you can have an offensive focused elma that's more worried about her positioning skills or whatnot - or a more buff or debuff oriented one that might be more interested in trying to buff herself or the party rather than being the main damage dealer - like with ghost factory

more specifically you could have one of those characters (can't recall her name atm) with that sort of mind control \ sacrifice hp to keep everyone's TP topped up or whatever - it's not the only way to use that character it's just a viable specific one for her

For the most part, each area/map is a different type of terrain. Bionis' Leg is one of the biggest open areas, so that's about as big as they get. The smallest open areas are maybe 60% of that size.
sounds pretty good - depending on how many areas there are might change but just being that large for little real reason if that trend continued would've been kinda dull but if it's sort the odd man out that's alright

The most broken setup is simply to outlevel the enemy. There are serious benefits/penalties from being 3 and 6 levels above/below the enemy. This is probably how most casuals get through the game with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla.
eh that'd doable - levels didn't matter nearly as much in XCX (partially because a handful of stats here or there didn't help and survival was largely resists - you can have high defenses and still get your ass kicked easily but like 30 ish % on different things is worth like 10X the defense for some stupid reason)
plus the structure of XCX too - being so open world with the level diversity kinda doesn't matter if you're like 5 levels higher than a given target - there's probably something 20 levels higher within a minute's movement of you

[Edit] Oh, and a good part of the endgame fun lies in overcoming the aforementioned penalties in situations where you are severely underleveled in comparison to the enemy.
sounds weird but tbh that's something i actually liked in XCX too - though given the weird defense sort of thing it basically boiled down to knowing the enemy and prep work - you could solo most superbosses with enough work put in - the highest leveled basically just 100% ether immunity and 'don't get ether counterattacked' sort of thing and eventually regardless of your other s*** you'll win

There's a good chunk of endgame content that's above the final boss's level, and of course there's the superbosses. So basically the same as XBX's postgame, except there's less stuff in terms of hours spent after beating the final boss.
eh that's alright - XCX has a bit of a multiplayer sort of potential so figure that might be a reason it was done more - that and even if you've got a decent character setup there's still plenty of work for a OP as f*** level 60 skell and max augments and looting the best gear and whatnot

All I will say is that XB1 and XB2 are mainstream games that are designed so that casuals can casually enjoy them without thinking too deeply about what they're doing. That said, there's a lot of depth for those who want to min/max the hell out of everything, as evidenced by the mountain of threads discussing the best endgame setups.

In contrast, casuals playing XBX will wonder what the point of the game even is given the threadbare main story and then proceed to get frustrated with getting stomped repeatedly by a high level monster that's blocking their path and just ragequit. It is 100% targeted at min/maxers who are constantly looking for a better way to do things.
this sounds good too - clearly i'm probably more one of those more min\maxers (i don't entirely like how everything's done but still enjoyed it - and other games i've done exactly that deeply like FFX restructuring the entire sphere grid for max stats)

and while i've liked shallow games i've usually enjoyed their mechanics more as well - being able to have it get 'deeper' later on i think (as well as the other info) i think answers whether i should continue or write it off as just 'not for me' - yeah probably
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
https://imgur.com/a/QjeVqSD me versus sjw/antisjw/censorship stuff

Previous Versions
1 month ago
@Darktempest
Darktempest posted...

Yes, but it's not as in-your-face as XBX's "congrats, you have Skells now" - you have to actively go out and look for it. There are plenty of people who get through the game with your current Shulk/Reyn/Sharla gameplay and can't even imagine any other team working. Heck, there's a big topic on the first page of this board right now regarding just that.

Take Chain Attack for example - you've probably used it already but didn't think it was anything special. And that's because right now, you don't have access to the resources (affinity and skill links) that make it amazing. On an endgame level, Chain Attack can easily keep an enemy permanently immobilized, and if you're really good at timing your B button presses, you can even defeat a superboss in a single chain.
sounds alright - kinda hoped it might be more than that but that's at least something - and potentially fairly serviceable

probably gonna f*** up those b presses though - i ended up with a team of 4 level 60 skells because i got to 1 insurance ticket and then gave it to an ally (who can't junk it) and made another - so essentially i've died in a skell like 20+ times without successfully pressing the b button at the right time because i was paying attention to other s*** like skill cooldowns or whatever

your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic

Cuz that's exactly how the characters in XB1 are. There's no blank slate character like Cross though, I'm afraid.
i figured they wouldn't be as diverse as cross but to a degree they're (xcx side characters) still customizable pretty greatly - i don't mean skill wise so much as cross but the allies in XCX have quite a wide range of abilities that can be chosen for different setups passives to help with those setups potentially gear oriented towards that sort of thing etc - even with two weapons and not every skill available for either that's still like 20 abilities to choose from as well as different swords and guns and armor pieces with different traits and the augments

you can have an offensive focused elma that's more worried about her positioning skills or whatnot - or a more buff or debuff oriented one that might be more interested in trying to buff herself or the party rather than being the main damage dealer - like with ghost factory

more specifically you could have one of those characters (can't recall her name atm) with that sort of mind control \ sacrifice hp to keep everyone's TP topped up or whatever - it's not the only way to use that character it's just a viable specific one for her

For the most part, each area/map is a different type of terrain. Bionis' Leg is one of the biggest open areas, so that's about as big as they get. The smallest open areas are maybe 60% of that size.
sounds pretty good - depending on how many areas there are might change but just being that large for little real reason if that trend continued would've been kinda dull but if it's sort the odd man out that's alright

The most broken setup is simply to outlevel the enemy. There are serious benefits/penalties from being 3 and 6 levels above/below the enemy. This is probably how most casuals get through the game with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla.
eh that'd doable - levels didn't matter nearly as much in XCX (partially because a handful of stats here or there didn't help and survival was largely resists - you can have high defenses and still get your ass kicked easily but like 30 ish % on different things is worth like 10X the defense for some stupid reason)
plus the structure of XCX too - being so open world with the level diversity kinda doesn't matter if you're like 5 levels higher than a given target - there's probably something 20 levels higher within a minute's movement of you

[Edit] Oh, and a good part of the endgame fun lies in overcoming the aforementioned penalties in situations where you are severely underleveled in comparison to the enemy.
sounds weird but tbh that's something i actually liked in XCX too - though given the weird defense sort of thing it basically boiled down to knowing the enemy and prep work - you could solo most superbosses with enough work put in

There's a good chunk of endgame content that's above the final boss's level, and of course there's the superbosses. So basically the same as XBX's postgame, except there's less stuff in terms of hours spent after beating the final boss.
eh that's alright - XCX has a bit of a multiplayer sort of potential so figure that might be a reason it was done more - that and even if you've got a decent character setup there's still plenty of work for a OP as f*** level 60 skell and max augments and looting the best gear and whatnot

All I will say is that XB1 and XB2 are mainstream games that are designed so that casuals can casually enjoy them without thinking too deeply about what they're doing. That said, there's a lot of depth for those who want to min/max the hell out of everything, as evidenced by the mountain of threads discussing the best endgame setups.

In contrast, casuals playing XBX will wonder what the point of the game even is given the threadbare main story and then proceed to get frustrated with getting stomped repeatedly by a high level monster that's blocking their path and just ragequit. It is 100% targeted at min/maxers who are constantly looking for a better way to do things.
this sounds good too - clearly i'm probably more one of those more min\maxers (i don't entirely like how everything's done but still enjoyed it - and other games i've done exactly that deeply like FFX restructuring the entire sphere grid for max stats)

and while i've liked shallow games i've usually enjoyed their mechanics more as well - being able to have it get 'deeper' later on i think (as well as the other info) i think answers whether i should continue or write it off as just 'not for me'
1 month ago
@Darktempest
Darktempest posted...

probably gonna f*** up those b presses though - i ended up with a team of 4 level 60 skells because i got to 1 insurance ticket (you start with 10 chances to 'not f*** up your skell due to your not pressing the button) and then gave it to an ally (who can't junk it) and made another - so essentially i've died in a skell like 20+ times without successfully pressing the b button at the right time because i was paying attention to other s*** like skill cooldowns or whatever

sounds weird but tbh that's something i actually liked in XCX too - though given the weird defense sort of thing it basically boiled down to knowing the enemy and prep work - you could solo most superbosses with enough work put in

and while i've liked shallow games i've usually enjoyed their mechanics more as well - being able to have it get 'deeper' later on i think (as well as the other info) i think answers whether i should continue or write it off as just 'not for me'
1 month ago
@Darktempest
Darktempest posted...

sounds weird but tbh that's something i actually liked in XCX too - though given the weird defense sort of thing it basically boiled down to knowing the enemy and prep work - you could solo most superbosses with enough work put in - the highest leveled basically just 100% ether immunity and 'don't get ether counterattacked' sort of thing and eventually regardless of your other s*** you'll win