2 months ago #12
Ooooook, let's see now...

leeman3104 posted...
does XC1's combat in general change much later on

Yes, but it's not as in-your-face as XBX's "congrats, you have Skells now" - you have to actively go out and look for it. There are plenty of people who get through the game with your current Shulk/Reyn/Sharla gameplay and can't even imagine any other team working. Heck, there's a big topic on the first page of this board right now regarding just that.

Take Chain Attack for example - you've probably used it already but didn't think it was anything special. And that's because right now, you don't have access to the resources (affinity and skill links) that make it amazing. On an endgame level, Chain Attack can easily keep an enemy permanently immobilized, and if you're really good at timing your B button presses, you can even defeat a superboss in a single chain.

leeman3104 posted...
are the characters a tad more customizable than i've seen so far

I think you already said everything that needs to be said with this:

your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic

Cuz that's exactly how the characters in XB1 are. There's no blank slate character like Cross though, I'm afraid.

leeman3104 posted...
how varied is the terrain (and to an extent how large on average most of the open areas are)

For the most part, each area/map is a different type of terrain. Bionis' Leg is one of the biggest open areas, so that's about as big as they get. The smallest open areas are maybe 60% of that size.

leeman3104 posted...
is there a way for me to maybe get a sort of 'broken' ish setup so if i still can't get into the combat

The most broken setup is simply to outlevel the enemy. There are serious benefits/penalties from being 3 and 6 levels above/below the enemy. This is probably how most casuals get through the game with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla.

[Edit] Oh, and a good part of the endgame fun lies in overcoming the aforementioned penalties in situations where you are severely underleveled in comparison to the enemy.

leeman3104 posted...
does XC have sort of side\postgame content that is more difficult to make the grind 'worthwhile"

There's a good chunk of endgame content that's above the final boss's level, and of course there's the superbosses. So basically the same as XBX's postgame, except there's less stuff in terms of hours spent after beating the final boss.

leeman3104 posted...
do you think i'd be better off writing XC1 off or should i sort of push through as there's a point where my issues to a degree are alleviated

All I will say is that XB1 and XB2 are mainstream games that are designed so that casuals can casually enjoy them without thinking too deeply about what they're doing. That said, there's a lot of depth for those who want to min/max the hell out of everything, as evidenced by the mountain of threads discussing the best endgame setups.

In contrast, casuals playing XBX will wonder what the point of the game even is given the threadbare main story and then proceed to get frustrated with getting stomped repeatedly by a high level monster that's blocking their path and just ragequit. It is 100% targeted at min/maxers who are constantly looking for a better way to do things.

Previous Versions
2 months ago

leeman3104 posted...

Yes, but it's not as in-your-face as XBX's "congrats, you have Skells now" - you have to actively go out and look for it. There are plenty of people who get through the game with your current Shulk/Reyn/Sharla gameplay and can't even imagine any other team working. Heck, there's a big topic on the first page of this board right now regarding just that.

Take Chain Attack for example - you've probably used it already but didn't think it was anything special. And that's because right now, you don't have access to the resources (affinity and skill links) that make it amazing. On an endgame level, Chain Attack can easily keep an enemy permanently immobilized, and if you're really good at timing your B button presses, you can even defeat a superboss in a single chain.

leeman3104 posted...

your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic - or is it even adding the agi stuff to shulk as is he's sort of stuck in the same 'role' just somewhat more agile

Cuz that's exactly how the characters in XB1 are. There's no blank slate character like Cross though, I'm afraid.

leeman3104 posted...
how varied is the terrain (and to an extent how large on average most of the open areas are)

For the most part, each area/map is a different type of terrain. Bionis' Leg is one of the biggest open areas, so that's about as big as they get. The smallest open areas are maybe 60% of that size.

leeman3104 posted...
is there a way for me to maybe get a sort of 'broken' ish setup so if i still can't get into the combat

The most broken setup is simply to outlevel the enemy. There are serious benefits/penalties from being 3 and 6 levels above/below the enemy. This is probably how most casuals get through the game with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla.

leeman3104 posted...
does XC have sort of side\postgame content that is more difficult to make the grind 'worthwhile"

There's a good chunk of endgame content that's above the final boss's level, and of course there's the superbosses. So basically the same as XBX's postgame, except there's less stuff in terms of hours spent after beating the final boss.

leeman3104 posted...
do you think i'd be better off writing XC1 off or should i sort of push through as there's a point where my issues to a degree are alleviated

All I will say is that XB1 and XB2 are mainstream games that are designed so that casuals can casually enjoy them without thinking too deeply about what they're doing. That said, there's a lot of depth for those who want to min/max the hell out of everything, as evidenced by the mountain of threads discussing the best endgame setups.

In contrast, casuals playing XBX will wonder what the point of the game even is given the threadbare main story and then proceed to get frustrated with getting stomped repeatedly by a high level monster that's blocking their path and just ragequit. It is 100% targeted at min/maxers who are constantly looking for a better way to do things.
2 months ago

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

2 months ago

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...

leeman3104 posted...