2 months ago #11
Darktempest posted...
Oh, and one other thing - we're not your gaming buddies whom you've known since middle school, we're *random people on the internet*. We don't, and can't, know everything about you and your preferences, and we can't tell you if you'll like something or not.

You'll need to ask specific questions if you want to get anywhere.
@Darktempest
i was aiming to give lots of info so you'd be able to answer it (haha 'tried' anyway - apparently except for actually specifying the questions - i'm a f***ing idiot)

i had a question about whether XC1's combat will be of more interest to me

for reference i added the details of what i disliked and liked about XCX's combat which is comparable given there's a lot of similarities

i'm WELL aware that just asking "will i like X" with no info should give the response "f*** knows - we don't know you or what you like"

i said "i hate the combat" as the title: i explain what i like and dislike in XCX and mentioned that so far XC is 'dragging' for me

and i asked for tips on maybe how that could change: if it was XCX a good response might be 'well the mechanics of the fights change somewhat later and it's less of an issue so you can explore a lot more without worrying about the fights as much'

though i now understand i did f*** up in my attempts with communicating what i was thinking - i do suppose i should've offered up very specific questions (as i basically gave the info trying to clarify what i meant without asking the actual request for info) so let's give this a shot:

-------------
does XC1's combat in general change much later on: and by that i mean early on it's basically just basic attacks skills that can have combo effects like stagger to topple or have traits like 'extra damage from behind' - i mention i don't like the XC general combat and what i mean by that is 'the sort of auto attack\waiting for your skills to recharge' being the totality of basic combat: given it's the first XC game i was worried it might not have much past that
XCX2 has various weapons the mc can use overdrives eventually providing a spike in damage potential that was kinda needed for that game at some point skells could change up not only how you fight and 'built' your party bit also navigating the world: XC1 doesn't need s*** identical ot it or whatever but 'does it play a little differently past the first like 5 hours' probably isn't that hard of a thing to understand: not that it's needed either a lot of turn based rpgs are exactly that only getting new skills - but i also didn't dislike their combat even at it's base level either
-----------
are the characters a tad more customizable than i've seen so far: not asking for the moon but essentially shulk being largely stuck in the exact same sort of stuff he's got so far for another 50 hours kinda feels dull - i know there's some changes and new skills learned that's not what i mean
but it's like asking if say it'll sorta be like an FF title where the 'black mage' character might only learn offensive spells and basically that's it - no sort of flavor no customization at all just level for higher stats and fire fira and firaga
or if it might be a little more like i dunno your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic - or is it even adding the agi stuff to shulk as is he's sort of stuck in the same 'role' just somewhat more agile
i'm not asking to make shulk into a mage or whatever - or even like XCX's protag customization - just curious as to my options and that tends to make my interest more profund (again: i got into XCX despite it's basic combat' partially because of that)
i get that there's alternate allies there to help deal with that but even then it's using the same sort of barely fleshed out character (probably overdramatic) for 50+ hours doing the same thing in combat 99% of the time - if the combat feels like it's dragging it's not gonna be a good time
--------------------------------
how varied is the terrain (and to an extent how large on average most of the open areas are) - i get that there's two giants and one is biological focused and one's mechanical in nature and there's s*** like caves and whatnot: does it go beyond that however
is there more than caves and grassy plains on bionis: are there zones that bare a much more striking difference to one another beyond just structure outside of there being a difference between the outside and caverns and whatnot: is there a faster way to navigate around later as 'utterly huge' areas this gen i'm sorta burned out on especially if there's little reason for actually exploring around and quickly being able to navigate around easier like in XCX (which i feel did pretty good open world game - not that XC is but huge maps with little reason to actually explore around and an extended travel time just because it's so ginormous - kinda an issue i've had with a lot of games this gen)
XCX even within the 'grass' continent had VERY diverse terrain at points - so did the jungle and a few other areas
------------------------------
is there a way for me to maybe get a sort of 'broken' ish setup so if i still can't get into the combat: so i can maybe just have this setup and kinda ignore trying to enjoy the mechanics of the fighting so much and instead try to enjoy the exploration or the story or other mechanics of the game and whatnot instead: XCX's basic combat sucked: it didn't really change over time but it had things that were less 'basic' and i got into and i REALLY enjoyed other aspects of the game quite a lot that made it less of an issue - if i can't find a way to sort of mitigate the annoyance of the combat i probably won't be able to enjoy a game this long nearly as well even if there's other s*** i like in it
--------------------------
i kinda like a 'good' grind in video games to a degree: just by this clearly i've got issues
but what i mean about that is some of my favorite games ever have been games where you could do a lot of stuff to get really strong or sort of rise to side\postgame content that's far beyond the 'base' game's sort of level
does XC have sort of side\postgame content that is more difficult to make the grind 'worthwhile" - or is it just a lot of sidequests and once you get into endgame that's sort of the highest tier of content you can do - admittedly lots of sidequests and longer story in general will help my 'enjoyment' of it but it's still something i'm interested in and hope is a thing
---------------------------

and sort of in general - i've given a lot of info about sort of what i liked and disliked about XCX and what so far i've been kinda dissatisfied with so far in XC (and conversely what i've found lacking in XC1 and seemingly have in XC2 though not as much given i got it today and i made this post a week ago: little bit in replies however)

so taking this into account - my likes and dislikes about XCX and what i've experienced so far with XC as well as what sort of 'interests' me and disinterests me and your knowledge of XC later
do you think i'd be better off writing XC1 off or should i sort of push through as there's a point where my issues to a degree are alleviated: doesn't need to be 'perfectly' done and i realize that even with this info it's to a large degree 'f***ed if i know' - even something on paper that could look 'perfect' for me could be something i just don't click with
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
https://imgur.com/a/QjeVqSD me versus sjw/antisjw/censorship stuff

Previous Versions
2 months ago
Darktempest posted...
Oh, and one other thing - we're not your gaming buddies whom you've known since middle school, we're *random people on the internet*. We don't, and can't, know everything about you and your preferences, and we can't tell you if you'll like something or not.

@Darktempest
that's why it's a f***ing essay - thats EXACTLY what i did (apparently except for actually specifiying the questions - i'm a f***ing idiot)

for reference i added the details of what i disliked and liked about XCX's combat which is comparable given there's a lot of similarities

i'm WELL aware that just asking "will i like X" with no info should give the response "f*** knows - we don't know you or what you like"

i said "i hate the combat" as the title: i explain what i like and dislike in XCX and mentioned that so far XC is 'dragging' for me

and i asked for tips on maybe how that could change: if it was XCX a good response might be 'well the mechanics of the fights change somewhat later and it's less of an issue so you can explore a lot more without worrying about the fights as much'

though i now understand i did f*** up in my attempts with communicating what i was thinking - i do suppose i should've offered up very specific questions (as i basically gave the info trying to clarify what i meant without asking the actual request for info) so let's give this a shot:

-------------
does XC1's combat in general change much later on: and by that i mean early on it's basically just basic attacks skills that can have combo effects like stagger to topple or have traits like 'extra damage from behind' - i mention i don't like the XC general combat and what i mean by that is 'the sort of auto attack\waiting for your skills to recharge' being the totality of basic combat: given it's the first XC game i was worried it might not have much past that
XCX2 has various weapons the mc can use overdrives eventually providing a spike in damage potential that was kinda needed for that game at some point skells could change up not only how you fight and 'built' your party bit also navigating the world: XC1 doesn't need s*** identical ot it or whatever but 'does it play a little differently past the first like 5 hours' probably isn't that hard of a thing to understand: not that it's needed either a lot of turn based rpgs are exactly that only getting new skills - but i also didn't dislike their combat even at it's base level either
-----------
are the characters a tad more customizable than i've seen so far: not asking for the moon but essentially shulk being largely stuck in the exact same sort of stuff he's got so far for another 50 hours kinda feels dull - i know there's some changes and new skills learned that's not what i mean
but it's like asking if say it'll sorta be like an FF title where the 'black mage' character might only learn offensive spells and basically that's it - no sort of flavor no customization at all just level for higher stats and fire fira and firaga
or if it might be a little more like i dunno your side characters in XCX - they're sort of 'stuck' in their roles sure but on the other hand they learn lots of skills and can be customized for sort of more specific setups via gear and augments - can i have a sort of crit shulk that's focused largely on larger base damage and chunky crits or sort of 'faster skills' or just a really evasive shulk that isn't getting hit more often than not or more focused in another mechanic - or is it even adding the agi stuff to shulk as is he's sort of stuck in the same 'role' just somewhat more agile
i'm not asking to make shulk into a mage or whatever - or even like XCX's protag customization - just curious as to my options and that tends to make my interest more profund (again: i got into XCX despite it's basic combat' partially because of that)
i get that there's alternate allies there to help deal with that but even then it's using the same sort of barely fleshed out character (probably overdramatic) for 50+ hours doing the same thing in combat 99% of the time - if the combat feels like it's dragging it's not gonna be a good time
how varied is the terrain (and to an extent how large on average most of the open areas are) - i get that there's two giants and one is biological focused and one's mechanical in nature and there's s*** like caves and whatnot: does it go beyond that however
is there more than caves and grassy plains on bionis: are there zones that bare a much more striking difference to one another beyond just structure outside of there being a difference between the outside and caverns and whatnot: is there a faster way to navigate around later as 'utterly huge' areas this gen i'm sorta burned out on especially if there's little reason for actually exploring around and quickly being able to navigate around easier like in XCX (which i feel did pretty good open world game - not that XC is but huge maps with little reason to actually explore around and an extended travel time just because it's so ginormous - kinda an issue i've had with a lot of games this gen)
XCX even within the 'grass' continent had VERY diverse terrain at points - so did the jungle and a few other areas
is there a way for me to maybe get a sort of 'broken' ish setup so if i still can't get into the combat: so i can maybe just have this setup and kinda ignore trying to enjoy the mechanics of the fighting so much and instead try to enjoy the exploration or the story or other mechanics of the game and whatnot instead: XCX's basic combat sucked: it didn't really change over time but it had things that were less 'basic' and i got into and i REALLY enjoyed other aspects of the game quite a lot that made it less of an issue - if i can't find a way to sort of mitigate the annoyance of the combat i probably won't be able to enjoy a game this long nearly as well even if there's other s*** i like in it
i kinda like a 'good' grind in video games to a degree: just by this clearly i've got issues
but what i mean about that is some of my favorite games ever have been games where you could do a lot of stuff to get really strong or sort of rise to side\postgame content that's far beyond the 'base' game's sort of level
does XC have sort of side\postgame content that is more difficult to make the grind 'worthwhile" - or is it just a lot of sidequests and once you get into endgame that's sort of the highest tier of content you can do - admittedly lots of sidequests and longer story in general will help my 'enjoyment' of it but it's still something i'm interested in and hope is a thing

and sort of in general - i've given a lot of info about sort of what i liked and disliked about XCX and what so far i've been kinda dissatisfied with so far in XC (and conversely what i've found lacking in XC1 and seemingly have in XC2 though not as much given i got it today and i made this post a week ago: little bit in replies however)

so taking this into account - my likes and dislikes about XCX and what i've experienced so far with XC as well as what sort of 'interests' me and disinterests me and your knowledge of XC later
do you think i'd be better off writing XC1 off or should i sort of push through as there's a point where my issues to a degree are alleviated: doesn't need to be 'perfectly' done and i realize that even with this info it's to a large degree 'f***ed if i know' - even something on paper that could look 'perfect' for me could be something i just don't click with
2 months ago
Darktempest posted...

@Darktempest
that's why it's a f***ing essay - thats EXACTLY what i did (haha 'tried' anyway - apparently except for actually specifying the questions - i'm a f***ing idiot)

-------------
-----------