Oh joy, a coolant leak!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. Oh joy, a coolant leak!

User Info: YonicBoom

YonicBoom
4 months ago#1
So I've been trying to pinpoint the source of a faint scent burning coolant smell in my engine bay for the last 6 or so months, and nothing has been obviously leaking.

...until now.

The upper radiator hose appears to be leaking right onto the engine. Previously it was doing it so little that it evaporated off instantly and I was never able to see any signs of leakage. Tonight, lots of white smoke was coming up from the front of my car and a stream of green liquid was running down the front plastic timing cover of my engine.

Knowing my luck with this thing, the hose clamp on that radiator hose has just come slightly loose and a bit of snugging it will do the trick.

However... always the chance it might be something more sinister, since nothing horrible has happened to the car yet. However, I'm optimistic, as the "s***ty" (read: headgasket) related coolant leaks tend to be internal on Subarus and TYPICALLY don't come from the TOP of the engine if they're external.

ANYWAYS place bets and look forward to my return, with pics. Time to get a better look at this problem.
All these boomas like me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkkHVl8QvE

User Info: ChokeStan

ChokeStan
4 months ago#2
Godspeed
But I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing so if I'm going home alone I'm not going at all.

YonicBoom
4 months ago#3
No pics, inconclusive diagnosis.

Too cold, no garage at the moment, gonna have to save it for the weekend. Blah.

For what it's worth, the leak seems to have just been of the "pool up over a few days" type where it all burns off once you get driving again.

YonicBoom
4 months ago#4
Rented the block tester today, fluid stayed blue. Not a combustion leak, though I'll be checking again tomorrow for my own sanity.

Otherwise... time to head over to a friend's house and borrow some ramps. Gotta figure out where it's leaking.

User Info: QB_gullygamer

QB_gullygamer
3 months ago#5
Why not rent a coolant leak tester?? Easiest way to find a leak. Or just buy one. Horrible Frieght has a couple options ranging from the low 40's to the higher 80's
I can't believe I live in a country where Casey Anthony will make more money than me

User Info: Albtraum13

Albtraum13
3 months ago#6
How's it going any update?

How's hvac program?
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. Oh joy, a coolant leak!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived