Buying car parts

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. Buying car parts

User Info: YonicBoom

YonicBoom
1 month ago#11
ChokeStan posted...
I’ve used amazon for probably 75%.

If I need new parts, Amazon hasn't let me down yet. Radiator, lots of steering bits, and other random items all arrived in perfect shape and worked. Also, OEM oil filters with the included drain plug washers cannot be had for a better price than on Amazon. Certain things like light bulbs and wiper blades get purchased at walmart.

When I owned a Miata, it was often more economical to buy certain used parts through one of the used parts dealers based out of Cali/Florida. When I bought springs/motor mounts/shift knob/etc for the red one, that's the route I went. Buying the soft top was an ebay thing since at the time that was the only way to get the <$200 top (according to the guy that bought my red one, the top is still in great shape after several years). Just looked on Amazon now for those tops... prices are creeping up, and you can't get one with a new rain rail (100% mandatory) for less than $200 anymore.
All these boomas like me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkkHVl8QvE

User Info: QB_gullygamer

QB_gullygamer
1 month ago#12
I’m obviously going to be a bit biased, having worked for the dealers for a good portion of my career. Also having my dad come from that same demographic, but I try to go OEM 99% of the time. This does not necessarily mean buy it from the dealer though. I just buy the oem part. If Bosch for example is the oem supplier of a particular part, I will shoot for the Bosch replacement part. In most cases, OEM will beat aftermarket in quality, and most importantly fitment. That is usually where the aftermarket stuff will come to haunt you. Also, if the part is problematic from the get go, usually the aftermarket equivalent will fail much sooner. That is usually the rule of thumb.

There are special exceptions to this of course. It is not set in stone. For example, the intake gaskets on GM 60 degree V6’s. These were problematic for several years. Fel Pro came out with an updated design which cured the problem. It was so effective, eventually GM just used them for replacements. So in essence all intake gaskets you buy for a 3.1, 3.3, 3.8 etc at the dealer are just repackaged Fel Pro gaskets at a mark up. Which brings me to the next point of researching, and being an educated consumer. Know what you are buying. A crankcase vent valve for a VW is made by Hengst and costs upwards of 150 dollars. A China equivalent will cost 50 but it will probably fail in 3-6 months. You can buy the Hengst valve aftermarket for 120-130. At VW you will pay closer to 200. Same part, same part number, even has the VW emblem on it grinded off for legal purposes. That is what an educated consumer does. It’s not so much what you are paying, but rather what you are getting.
I can't believe I live in a country where Casey Anthony will make more money than me

User Info: DragonGirlYuki

DragonGirlYuki
1 month ago#13
Surprised to see no hate on Fram yet. I think I need to replace my engine air filter, but haven't gotten around to it.
~Yuki~

User Info: ChokeStan

ChokeStan
1 month ago#14
I think everyone got their hate of fram out of their system in a previous topic where I defended my choice in fram.
But I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing so if I'm going home alone I'm not going at all.

YonicBoom
1 month ago#15
DragonGirlYuki posted...
Surprised to see no hate on Fram yet. I think I need to replace my engine air filter, but haven't gotten around to it.

I don't think people bag on Fram air filters the same way they do their oil filters. An air filter is an air filter, and almost anything you drop into the stock airbox is gonna filter the air just as well as the next thing. Oil filters are NOT created as equal and it's more important that one be designed well.

User Info: ChokeStan

ChokeStan
1 month ago#16
My dad’s used nothing but fram oil filters for over 40 years. His 88 Silverado that he bought new has never used anything but fram (apart from whatever filter it came with where bought it), and it’s engine has over 280k miles on it. And it still runs (needs a tranny).

My parents trooper they bought new had 260k miles on it when they sold it,nothing but fram filters.

My precious amigo, that my parents bought new, had around 230k miles on it when I sold it. Fram.

I’m not buying this fram is bad bulls***.
But I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing so if I'm going home alone I'm not going at all.

DragonGirlYuki
1 month ago#17
To be fair I am not so sure on the quality of Fram engine air filters. They look different than the original one and are rated for 20000 km. In the manual it says change the air filter after every 50000 km. However the auto parts store I have been to only stocks Fram air filters so I don't have much choice.
~Yuki~

DragonGirlYuki
1 month ago#18
On the oil filter part Fram does make different grades of them. They got a cheap one that lasts for 8000km, a midgrade for 16000km, and an ultra synthetic one rated for 24000km going from memory. I think some people assume all Fram filters are the cheap one and tend to overlook that they sell a better one too for more.
~Yuki~

YonicBoom
1 month ago#19
I still don't believe in oil filters that work well for more than 10k miles. Oil, yes, in a low-stress engine like a Prius. Filter? I'd rather spend a few extra bucks over the life of the car for some peace of mind. It's not the first 10k miles I'm worried about, it's the last 5k on a 15k mile oil change interval where I feel like most of the damage will occur because the filter has had it.

User Info: Frisco557

Frisco557
1 month ago#20
QB_gullygamer posted...
If Bosch for example is the oem supplier of a particular part, I will shoot for the Bosch replacement part. In most cases, OEM will beat aftermarket in quality, and most importantly fitment

I'm pretty similar, except I buy parts from oem companies in general, not the specific supplier. I trust a variety of companies like Bosch, Gates, and Continental(off the top of my head) even if they aren't the original supplier for the exact car/part I'm replacing.
Proud owner of an '88 Peugeot.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e14/frisco557/103_0809.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. Buying car parts

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived