Buying car parts

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. Buying car parts

User Info: Powertoolz

Powertoolz
1 month ago#1
How do you guys decide which parts to buy for your car?
Recently I did a head gasket job for somebody and went to go buy the parts for them. The auto store and had several gaskets to pick from and I choose the expensive one. My reasoning was I don't want to do this job again. Usually I pick the parts that are in the middle price range. Not basing my purchase on facts but feeling.

Which has me thinking was the cheaper gasket really that bad? Is the "you get what you pay for" a fact. One thing I'm considering is using online stores to purchase parts from main reason is the reviews. It at least gives me something to base my purchase on. Instead of my current don't buy cheapest parts because it probably will fail.

User Info: Albtraum13

Albtraum13
1 month ago#2
Sometimes the mid range ones fail earlier, as do the higher priced parts. Companies can charge whatever, price doesnt reflect quality. Depends on the part though. Most often, OEM is best. Sometimes aftermarket parts are superior and fix the fault that the OEM part has....

Sorry its complicated.

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
1 month ago#3
Usually OEM if I havent researched it
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana

User Info: PDXRoverMech

PDXRoverMech
1 month ago#4
Depends. I choose based on experience and the warranty/failure rate my trusted parts people give me. Sometimes I go more expensive and sometimes I go with the cheapest option. I personally spend the extra money for the peace of mind that I won’t have to do a job twice. Plus I can always tell when another shop has done prior work because they will always use the cheapest crap possible.

User Info: ChokeStan

ChokeStan
1 month ago#5
As expensive as I can afford after doing research.
But I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing so if I'm going home alone I'm not going at all.

User Info: coolsurfer800

coolsurfer800
1 month ago#6
Buying online isn't always the best option either. A lot of fake and low quality stuff gets sold online.
No, John. You are the demons.
Moms are tough.

User Info: PDXRoverMech

PDXRoverMech
1 month ago#7
coolsurfer800 posted...
Buying online isn't always the best option either. A lot of fake and low quality stuff gets sold online.

The thing I don’t like about buying online is you don’t have someone face to face to talk to if you have a problem or a question. But, if you know exactly what you need, buying online is quick and cheap. Heck sometimes I get parts quicker from the UK than I do the east coast and at a fraction of the cost, but if I have problem with it I can’t just walk into the local brick and mortar and say “make this right.”

ChokeStan
1 month ago#8
I honestly avoid most big brick and mortar stores. I’ve ordered the majority of my jeep parts online.
But I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing so if I'm going home alone I'm not going at all.

User Info: Powertoolz

Powertoolz
1 month ago#9
ChokeStan posted...
I honestly avoid most big brick and mortar stores. I’ve ordered the majority of my jeep parts online.

How is that working out for you? Have you ever had to return a part? Or get a warranty claim? Did you ever get the wrong part? This happens to me ton dealing with local parts store, sometimes it gets bad enough I have source a part numbers.

Amazon currently gives me the option to look up parts by vin, I don't order online too much but when I do it works out great.

ChokeStan
1 month ago#10
I’ve used amazon for probably 75%. Most others are smaller specific retailers like metalcloak, whom have outstanding customer service.

I’ve only ever received one wrong part, but I pretty much knew it wouldn’t be right (price too good to be true). That was from amazon. Got my money back.

I did receive one part that was correct but flat out wouldn’t work. I even tried modifying it to no avail. Got it from a jeep site called extremeterrain. I ended up getting my money back without even having to send the part back.

Most sites, if you give them regular business, will typically go out of their way to make you happy. At least from my experience.
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. Buying car parts

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived