• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror
  3. If NetherRealm Studios made a Horror movie fighting game...

User Info: Burn_It_All

Burn_It_All
9 years ago#1
So, I just picked up the new edition of Mortal Kombat and have been enjoying playing a Freddy. The fact that WB owns Freddy got me to thinking what a realistic looking roster for a Horror movie fighting game might look like if made by NetherRealm Studios.

Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street)
Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th)
Jack Torrance (The Shining)
Regan MacNeil (The Exorcist)
T-800 (Terminator)
The Jackal (Thriteen Ghosts)
Beetlejuice (Beetlejuice)
Martian Leader (Mars Attacks!)
Lestat de Lioncourt (Interview With a Vampire/Queen of the Damned)
Gizmo/Stripe (Gremlins)
Edgar/Alan Frog (The Lost Boys)
Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Dean/Sam Winchester (Supernatural)
Dracula (Taste the Blood of Dracula)
Angelus (Angel)
Alex (A Clockwork Orange)
Audrey II (Little Shop of Horrors)
Samantha Pringle (Deadly Friend)
Cujo (Cujo)
Fluffy (Creepshow: The Crate)
Dren (Splice)
Ester (Orphan)
Cherub (Valentine)
Vincent (House of Wax)
Large Marge (Pee Wee's Big Adventure)

Would you buy it? These are all characters owned by the WB by the way. While they could probably get a few characters from other companies, I chose to just stick with the Warner Bros. owned ones.
--
I kick arse for the Lord..

User Info: HorrorSindicate

HorrorSindicate
9 years ago#2
Yeah probably.

If just to use Christopher Lee's Dracula to beat the **** out of Freddy.
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder
(message deleted)

Burn_It_All
9 years ago#4
Generic versions of The Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy, and The Creature could be thrown in there as well. Or does Universal own them?

And speaking of Christopher Lee; Lord Summerisle (The Wicker Man) could be eligible for the roster too.
--

User Info: HorrorSindicate

HorrorSindicate
9 years ago#5
I had a super agressive Hot Tot rabbit that I named Summerisle...

and yeah WB owns the rights in the UK but they liscened them to AB here in the US. Least they used to. So depending on how that works I THINK there could be a kink in using him.

as for the other classic monster at worst they could go the Darkstalkers/Fire Pro Wrestling route with some generic names and similar back stories. Probably wouldn't even need to do that. And in a pinch they own the rights to a Hammer adaptation of every one of the characters. Having Ole Ollies' (Oliver Reed) Werewolf (Curse of the Werewolf) would be awesome. They even own the rights to Frankenstein must be Destroyed where the villian is Victor (played by Peter Cushing) and monster is a purely a secondary player.
I've seen the future, baby: it is murder

User Info: DanteHicks37

DanteHicks37
9 years ago#6
New Line Cinema is now owned by Time Warner and merged with WB. So that would add Leatherface, Krites (Critters), Willard (Willard), and Hoax (976-EVIL) to the roster.

And as Ash from Evil Dead has appeared alongside Freddy and Jason (in comic form), I'd say it wouldn't be too hard to add him as well.
--Not even supposed to be here today.--
(message deleted)

Burn_It_All
9 years ago#8
That would put in four big horror icons. And Pinhead, Myers, Candyman, Tallman, and Creeper shouldn't be too hard to get. Although even with the three/four that NetherRealm could for sure get, that would make it a buy for me.
--

User Info: Oddark123

Oddark123
9 years ago#9
I don't think WB is going to go that far. It was pretty obvious when WB ordered Freddy and Jason out of the Terrordrome homebrew what the plan was.

As plenty of people on this very site suggested, "ooh hey Warner Brothers just got the idea Freddy and Jason in a fighting game makes money.....and don't they just happen to now have a gory fighting franchise....hmmm" Low and behold here comes Freddy as DLC months later.

The major problem with this idea is clearly the legal part. People would buy it up for sure, Terrordrome had a huge following. But there are dozens of things to go wrong with this.

I frequent over at the Warner Archive...Warner's liscensing team is going very slowly with fixing certain music rights with releasing old tv shows on DVD....i don't even want to think how long they would take to liscense some of those things.

Because it all depends on how those contracts are written. Some of those movie characters might not be liscensed to WB as far as video games are concerned. Meaning if they wanted to put them in there, they'd have to go back and re-sign rights to that character with whoever officially holds it.

For example did you know Orion Studios has the rights to the Ash character as far as video games too? Yep the Terrordrome guy's cease and desist letter to remove Ash came from Orion.

Some of those characters on that list may very well be good. Those contracts could have been done with "in perpetuity clauses for all media," if that is true they could use the characters in whatever form they want and video games would be cool. Some might very well only have been the physical movie they appear in to WB.

As outsiders we have no idea how much WB would have to work with on this, and whenever licenses come up there can always be stalling and hostage holding. Look at the Scooby Doo celebrity season for an example of that.

However here's the even bigger problem, while the rights prevent an official release, WB and Orion are both clearly on the hunt meaning no homebrew is going to get to fly, as Terrordrome is done.

Studios don't go hunting down essential fanfiction unless in interferes in them making money. Those two clearly got the idea a horror movie fighting game is money, but the rights stand in the way of a fully done version.

In reality i say there is a better chance to some of the authors such as Stephen King or Clive Barker who probably own the rights to there own library of characters that could probably license a game or a cross over just with their authorization. Personally i've been trying to pitch Mortal Kombat vs Clive Barker for a while but that's just me lol.

I would love to see a fighting game with horror movie icons come to life, but it's pretty much a needle in the haystack. It would take so much to come to be a reality, and right now it's not going to look good at being a reality.
Animal Rumble- Always ongoing on PWS. Come get wild

Burn_It_All
9 years ago#10
Bummer...so there is a strong chance that there is no way in hell we'll be seeing a horror fighting game in any form. Best I could see is if they threw in Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, and Ash (if they could secure the rights) with a bunch of generic/original horror themed characters.

Or like you aid, they could do a Clive Barker themed fighter.

Actually, I think that would be the best route. You could have Pinhead, Chatterer, Deepthroat (Female Cenobite), Butterball, Dr. Channard, Dr. Decker, Candyman, and a plethora of others. Then they could throw in Freddy, Jason, and Leatherface into it. I could settle for that.
--
  1. Boards
  2. Horror
  3. If NetherRealm Studios made a Horror movie fighting game...
  • Topic Archived