• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
  3. So should I catch up on the anime or just play this game?

User Info: GOATSIE

GOATSIE
1 week ago#11
Anime's pacing might be worse (which is weird to say Oda had also his hand on it by slowing the pace on a few chapters itself), but the Anime gives a much better experience. I mean the Voice Actors, the soundtracks and a lot well animated scenes. the colouring > black and white pictures.

I swear I'm getting bored of how allegedly superior the Manga is over the anime. I'm a Manga reader and a certain (especially in the period of the last 30 chapters we had some horrible pacing by Oda and yeah they anime will make it even worse, but it is not allways the Anime's fault.

User Info: Aegiros

Aegiros
1 week ago#12
I only think of the manga superior in two, maybe three ways. You get the benefit of being further ahead. Oda is a great artist and his visuals are top notch. Anime sometimes censors ie Whitebeard gets half his face melted off in the manga vs the anime. Other than that I didn’t notice any issues with the Dressrosa arc in particular but maybe I don’t look for that sort of stuff.

User Info: GOATSIE

GOATSIE
1 week ago#13
Aegiros posted...
I only think of the manga superior in two, maybe three ways. You get the benefit of being further ahead. Oda is a great artist and his visuals are top notch. Anime sometimes censors ie Whitebeard gets half his face melted off in the manga vs the anime. Other than that I didn’t notice any issues with the Dressrosa arc in particular but maybe I don’t look for that sort of stuff.

Oda's visual are ofc on top notch, but that is when toei makes their best work (like the animation and drawing in a CERTAIN FIGHT) for instance. The Anime provides also some good filler like the scene with a Supernova and one of the two sweet generals (which was only mentioned in the manga, but the anime provided good probably by Oda approved fillers, if needed obviously). Negative aspect is that the anime censored stuff like WB and the losage of half of his face.

User Info: kazesan

kazesan
1 week ago#14
You can use the onepace site where they edit the anime to remove fillers and speed up the pace it shortens some arcs from like 100 episodes to less than half of that. Some of the filler stuff the anime adds is fun but most often the animation quality isn't that great and it isn't necessary to overall plot.

I definitely wouldn't use a game to catch up on story though. It will hit the main plot points but there is really no way for a game to include everything in the manga or anime. Also Wano story in game will be way different from the anime and the wano arc in the anime has been very good.

User Info: Gojjira

Gojjira
1 week ago#15
Lol at people that think the One Piece Anime has top visuals and great soundtrack.
It has a few good soundtracks but compared to other Anime thats just not really impressive.
And toei is with Pierrot on if the worst low effort studios on this planet, their animation is a insult to studios like Madhouse, Bones and David production.

Go ahead and watch the Anime withe horrible Fillers scenes, stretched action scenes and inconsistent Art.
But for anything else the Manga is here to save you.

User Info: Guitarman15

Guitarman15
6 days ago#16
You can watch the anime, it’s gets so much better quality after Dressrosa. The next two arcs are very nicely animated, and the current arc is fantastic

Of course, reading the manga is also a great choice
"If the endless dream guides your restless spirit - Seize it!
Raise your flag and stand tall!" - Gol D Roger
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Mullac

Mullac
6 days ago#17
GOATSIE posted...
Oda's visual are ofc on top notch, but that is when toei makes their best work (like the animation and drawing in a CERTAIN FIGHT) for instance. The Anime provides also some good filler like the scene with a Supernova and one of the two sweet generals (which was only mentioned in the manga, but the anime provided good probably by Oda approved fillers, if needed obviously). Negative aspect is that the anime censored stuff like WB and the losage of half of his face.
The anime has more of an issue than just censoring gore or blood, that specific instance where Whitebeard gets bunched through the head is an artistic technique as he uses the same technique through the story to have a characters body wrap around an enemies fist to show Logia powers and how they are unharmed. The intention of half of whitebeard's face being punched through is to juxtapose that technique he has used to show characters are unharmed in the past. Also the anime misses out on every cover story arcs anime onlys must see character appear and randomly and never get explanations as to why they are here etc.

That is my main gripes with the anime along with their horrible pacing, they miss a lot of Oda's intentions and make the work as a whole feel more mediocre. Although the team working on One Piece at Toei got a reboot since Wano Kuni has started and it has been pretty good, they still have pacing issues having to adapt 1 chapter an episode but they are finding more ways to meaningfully flesh out episodes adding to moments that matter. Still annoys me they cant fit in cover stories just as animated segments no voices or anything just to get across what else is happening in the one piece world.

Still I would suggest Manga now and watch one pace as an accompaniment as it deals with the animes pacing issues.

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
6 days ago#18
You know something is wrong with anime pacing when they stretched 2 manga panels into 2-3 minutes of repetitive animations and unnecessary reaction shots.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JIg0z2DOTIw/W3gI2Z37b8I/AAAAAAAAMHc/j6Wac6g_W9s7G4ASis20if7tM0ZqziiyQCLcBGAs/s1600/012.png

https://youtu.be/QmKmlKAb6Zw

And turned a fodder into stronger than Katakuri
https://youtu.be/dIJqCx2dwAM
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!
(edited 6 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
  3. So should I catch up on the anime or just play this game?
  • Post New Message