• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NBA 2K20
  3. Broken career save files

User Info: DrFeelgood1984

DrFeelgood1984
6 months ago#1
In NBA 2K16, your MyPlayer could only get bronze badges after they shut the servers down. The server shutdown also corrupted save files for MyPlayer unless you did an offline only MyPlayer. Have these issues been resolved in the last 4 years or is playing this game a complete waste of time?

I don't see the point in building a player with Gold/HoF badges if the save file will be intentionally corrupted to coerce me into buying a $70 roster update.

DrFeelgood1984
6 months ago#2
From what I can tell, all modes tied to VC are shut down every two years, making those save files completely useless. Offline MyPlayer or MyCareer was an option in previous versions but you can only play the career mode online in 2K20, which means all progress will be erased when servers are shut down. Glad I figured this out before I wasted more than an hour on this game.

Why would anyone play a game knowing that all progress will be erased? Insane.

User Info: Nynz

Nynz
6 months ago#3
Why do people play MMOs, MOBAs, or Mobile games by that same logic then? The difference being with those you are faced with an amount of uncertainty of when/if your game will be shut down and all progress lost as a result. Here you know that it will be locked/blocked, or whatever the case may be two years after the game is done. You can also just wait to buy each installment, or skip if you desire. They go on massive sales or become free, I got 2k19 last year for $3 and 2k20 for free through PS Plus~
Arrogance destroys the footholds of victory. - Byakuya Kuchiki
PSN: Nynzy

DrFeelgood1984
6 months ago#4
Nynz posted...
Why do people play MMOs, MOBAs, or Mobile games by that same logic then? The difference being with those you are faced with an amount of uncertainty of when/if your game will be shut down and all progress lost as a result. Here you know that it will be locked/blocked, or whatever the case may be two years after the game is done. You can also just wait to buy each installment, or skip if you desire. They go on massive sales or become free, I got 2k19 last year for $3 and 2k20 for free through PS Plus~
There's just no reason to screw people out of their Career mode progress. I'm pretty sure this is the first game that has ever done something like that and a lot of people may not even realize their Career mode will be completely wiped out about a year from now. Basically, they made this game a rental. You can never access your save file to a SINGLE PLAYER game mode once they shut the servers down. I understand disabling online play and MyPark but they are locking you out of a SINGLE PLAYER game mode.

Imagine if all Fallout 4 save files were locked when Fallout 76 came out, that's pretty comparable to what NBA 2K is doing.

User Info: Nynz

Nynz
6 months ago#5
Not really the same thing there, as Fallout 4 did not even have any online features for its game and was single-player only.

I do wish it was the same of old for 2k for sure, I played 2k14 for years until 2k18 came out as that was the first one I liked better. A simple change of VC to SP instead was all they had to do. The addition of The Neighborhood has complicated that. Perhaps with 2k20 that may change since you can do a lot of single player stuff without ever setting foot into said neighborhood. You are still getting 2 years guaranteed out of a game that is (theoretically) getting aged over every year, especially as new real life rookies are added and rosters changed~
Arrogance destroys the footholds of victory. - Byakuya Kuchiki
PSN: Nynzy
  1. Boards
  2. NBA 2K20
  3. Broken career save files
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A