• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Food
  3. What other countries are told is "American"

User Info: EzeDoesIt

EzeDoesIt
4 weeks ago#1
If you’re American like me, you know we do this with all types of other cultures here in the U.S.A. Famously, in Chinese NBA player Yao Ming’s first game in Miami on December 16, 2002, the Heat passed out 8,000 fortune cookies, an East Asian cultural stereotype. However, Yao was not offended by the promotion because he was not familiar with American stereotypes of Chinese. Fortune cookies are maybe the most prominent example but you see it everywhere with places like Taco Bell which sells very Americanized, nonauthentic “Mexican food”.

Anyway, this is the reverse of that, what people in other countries think of supposed traditional American food. One of the first examples given is how in Japan they, despite having a low percentage of Christians in the population, celebrate Christmas and do so with the “traditional American Xmas feast” of…a bucket of fried chicken….

Apparently that was all started by the first businessman to own a KFC in Japan, back in the 1970s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xgd79wuriQ#dialog
"Beef is when I quote you, guaranteed to break the TOU."
-The Notorious Shablagoo
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: ShinAkuma777

ShinAkuma777
4 weeks ago#2
that japanese businessman was a god damned genius
I leave the tricks for the ladies.

User Info: MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola
4 weeks ago#3
I don't get how some guy with a fake Canadian accent would know about American anything...?
@GoemonFan471986
Sorry just need money got tired of being snitched on.
Whatever tho I snitched too lol fair game.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Clergybones

Clergybones
4 weeks ago#4
Stereotypical.
Dokkan Battle ID: 3178095352 (Vinh)

User Info: GoemonFan471986

GoemonFan471986
4 weeks ago#5
MrCokeacola posted...
I don't get how some guy with a fake Canadian accent would know about American anything...?
@GoemonFan471986
Cringe
  1. Boards
  2. Food
  3. What other countries are told is "American"
  • Post New Message