• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Food
  3. I work at Subway, Ask me anything!

User Info: Kristbjorn

Kristbjorn
9 years ago#21
DumpsterMcNuggets posted...
Kristbjorn posted...
Rome218 posted...
I always felt the slogan eat fresh was misleading. To me, a freshly cooked hamburger is fresh. Not vegetables and cold cut meat that has been sitting out all day, and probably refrigerated over night.

I am not say it's not a better alternative to burgers, but I just don't see what's fresh about it. Also the crap that is in the bread like corn syrup is lame. They mention how healthy they are, but we live in a Country where people need to be aware of the dangers of high sodium.

There motto should be: "It's still kinda better than fried chicken and burgers, but it's still fast food."

Yes, all meat and veggies are prepackaged, except tomatoes and onions. All products have a multiple day "shelf life" during which time they are reused. Tuna, if I remember correctly, is 3 days. So if yoi see something on the line, like tuna, that looks like 3 day old leftovers, that's because it is.

Now I'm starting to wonder(thanks to this post), what does each Subway do with cookies that don't sell at the end of each night? I thought they don't resell those cookies the next day and that the batch for the next day is made from dough cooked the next morning after the store closes for the night, but maybe the TC(or someone else) can clarify what happens with those that don't sell when a store closes for the night. I sure hope I'm not wrong about wondering if cookies are always baked fresh each morning from dough(and I wouldn't be surprised if it was frozen dough), but you never know when you read AMA threads.

Not sure about TC's location (every store has minor differences, and things like this is where you start running into them). I worked at three different locations, one a high-volume store, and we were not supposed to throw them out. Depending on the manager/location, the policy was to either take the whole bin and put it in the walk-in cooler at night, or to wrap the cookies in plastic wrap. I believe the shelf life on cookies was 2 days (TC help me out here) if the cookies still felt fresh. So like, if cookies still felt fresh after one day, they got kept, for a maximum of two days. Theoretically, at a high-volume store, as long as the cookies are rotated correctly when fresh ones are added to the bin, you should be getting fresh cookies. However, you are relying on high school kids, people that just don't care, etc. to rotate them properly throughout the entire day.

And they are frozen little discs, like TC said.

But more on the topic of freshness in general. I seriously felt like a hypocrite working for Subway because of the slogan "Eat fresh", and I am not one to get all self-righteous about the company I work for. It is literally a marketing scheme that has no bearing on reality whatsover, except in the case of tomatoes, onions (and I left these out earlier) bell peppers. And those are not technically fresh, considering they've gone down the supply chain to make it to a Subway.

Frozen meatballs. Prepackaged sauce. Frozen chicken planks. 100% prepackaged meats (go buy them from a deli for a better value and likely a higher quality product). Frozen cookie dough. Frozen bread dough. Prepackaged lettuce. Precooked bacon. I think that about covers it. Prefab city. Which would all be fine except you are telling your customers they can "eat fresh" at your restaurants. Gtfo Subway.

User Info: SolidShadow3

SolidShadow3
9 years ago#22
The Bread is frozen dough thats been rolled into the right shape, comes 70 pieces to a box, that could be why you don't like it.

The only prepackaged veggies we have are the Olives, Banana Peppers, Pickles, and Jalapeños. We cut everything else in the store.

Also, the Subway I work at is 24 hours, so there is no closing point, I was doing the overnights at first, but I have since been put on during Lunch Rush, The cookies generally sell by the end of the day as we end up baking cookies twice (Once right before first shift, and again in the beginning of second shift. The Cookies do have a 36 hour shelf life though.

The Meatballs aren't bad, though I won't eat it more than once in a while.

And yea, the "Eat Fresh" slogan is bull, thats why when I tel people anything like it, I say "Subway, Eat lettuce" mainly because when you order most subs, it's pretty much all about the veggies you put in it, not really the meat, seeing as we don't really put that much on it; I think the reason we use it though, is because we "Freshly make it front of your face"
By Odin's beard!
TheDogFather, you will be missed.
DumpsterMcNuggets 9 years ago#23
SolidShadow3 posted...
Also, the Subway I work at is 24 hours, so there is no closing point, I was doing the overnights at first, but I have since been put on during Lunch Rush, The cookies generally sell by the end of the day as we end up baking cookies twice (Once right before first shift, and again in the beginning of second shift. The Cookies do have a 36 hour shelf life though.

I see, and thanks for explaining that(and also to Kristbjorn too). I wonder if the less busy Subway locations(say ones that aren't 24 hours, and/or get less business than busier locations) only bake cookies once a day(and which I assume would be during morning/first shift), though?
Wanna talk about travel? Check out TravelFAQs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1241-travelfaqs

User Info: Heather_Pink94

Heather_Pink94
9 years ago#24
No more Subway for me. Ugh.

User Info: PAE for this PD

PAE for this PD
9 years ago#25
So technically there are bologna slices in the meat section, but it's not officially on the menu, just used in the B.M.T. sub, and I think something else.

My question is, if I came in and asked for a bologna sub, could you make me one?
Pimpin' Ain't Easy for this Pimp Daddy.

User Info: thecrobar

thecrobar
9 years ago#26
Are there any interesting employee made sandwiches or concoctions that you enjoy or have seen other people eat? I always used to experiment with stuff when I worked in restaurants.
Video Attack, my dumb youtube thing: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vide0Attack

User Info: abouttreefitty

abouttreefitty
9 years ago#27
Will you still do the "u gouge" cut on the bread? Do you know what the "u gouge" is?

User Info: Kristbjorn

Kristbjorn
9 years ago#28

User Info: Dr_Wi1y

Dr_Wi1y
9 years ago#29
What's your dream job?
][<(/\)>][
Seattle Supersonics: We will not forget
DumpsterMcNuggets 9 years ago#30
Funny thing is I peered inside the window of a Subway after it was closed for the night yesterday, and I found it disappointing that they continue to further inch up the prices on their footlong subs more(i.e. noticing a tuna sub is now $6, instead of $5.50, plus that several other ones are no longer $5.50, plus that some of the regular subs are now $7). Ugh, makes me not even want to bother going there, unless they're doing an 'any $5 footlong sub'(and exclude premium subs) special event.

I guess my question is to the TC(and if that person is still reading the posts anymore, though I somehow doubt it), do you have trouble standing that bread odor that's noticeable inside every Subway location after bread is cooked? It always takes me at least a few minutes to get over that odor smell, every time I go to a Subway.
Wanna talk about travel? Check out TravelFAQs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1241-travelfaqs
  1. Boards
  2. Food
  3. I work at Subway, Ask me anything!
  • Topic Archived