• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Food
  3. Is fruitcake really that terrible?

User Info: dark lancer

dark lancer
7 years ago#1
I've never had fruitcake and the hate I hear for it, especially around Christmas, intrigues me enough that I want to try it sometime. No one I know makes fruitcakes for anyone.
The greatest injustice of our time is motivated by the irrational fear of children.
[Papal Crusaders]

User Info: dewprisms

dewprisms
7 years ago#2
I've heard that a good fruitcake is actually incredibly delicious, but bad fruitcake is no bueno. That said... I don't think I've ever actually had it.
It's time for our favorite show: "Here Comes the Pain: Unleashable Flowershop Fury"

User Info: silveryounglink

silveryounglink
7 years ago#3
I've never seen one, maybe it's a thing of the past?

User Info: Pdaimaoh

Pdaimaoh
7 years ago#4
Man there is some delicious ****ing awesome fruitcake but I have no idea where my aunt got it or if she made it. That stuff in piles at Walmart around the holidays is disgusting and the ingredients are candy and candied fruit with extra candy and six fistfulls of straight sugar...or at least it sure comes off that way...ewwwyuck!

The good one was like kind of chewy and mildly sweet and had lots of flavorful chunky bits but not all candy and sugar for crying out loud! It was like a really dense moist cake with dried fruit trail mix stirred into it...

If you want bad fruitcake it's easy to find. Just thinking about that crud at walmart makes me sick to my stomach and my mouth.

your best friend's drug dealer

User Info: Chocolatl

Chocolatl
7 years ago#5
It depends on the fruitcake.

Most of it is nasty, yes, but a nice, light fruitcake with the right kind of fruit--not that heavy stuff with fruit soaked in industrial oil--can be quite good.
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.--Mark Twain

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
7 years ago#6
Industrial fruit cake is dreadful.

But home made fruitcake is without a doubt my new favorite Christmas/Holiday confection. It's expensive to make because all that dried fruit adds up, but oh my goodness it's amazing.

Think of it this way: most people seem to like banana nut bread or zucchini bread or something like that.

Imagine one of those, but without the banana or zucchini. Add toasted pecans, dried cranberries, cherries, blueberries, golden raisins, currants, candied ginger, orange and lemon zest (all the dried fruit gets macerated for a DAY in rum) and those awesome Christmas spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

Then spray it down with a mist of brandy every other day or so to keep it... well, fresh. Doing that it doesn't dry out and bacteria and molds wont touch it, so you can lay that baby down like a bottle of wine, and it just gets better with age.

Man, I want a fruitcake now, but it would be inappropriate to have one in 90 degree summer.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: bond21

bond21
7 years ago#7
fruitcake is a pauper tier dessert.
New York Knicks 2012/13 Champions CONFIRMED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeya7Y8JALo

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
7 years ago#8
bond21 posted...
fruitcake is a pauper tier dessert.

Actually, no. Maybe the $2 mass of garbage at Kroger is. But a real fruitcake like I described earlier is rather expensive to make.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: dewprisms

dewprisms
7 years ago#9
Man, I want a fruitcake now, but it would be inappropriate to have one in 90 degree summer.

Is it ever inappropriate to eat something that delicious?
It's time for our favorite show: "Here Comes the Pain: Unleashable Flowershop Fury"

User Info: McDonaldzzz

McDonaldzzz
7 years ago#10
Vomit.
http://gifsoup.com/view2/3771433/buttt-o.gif
http://gifsoup.com/view7/3771369/butt-o.gif
  1. Boards
  2. Food
  3. Is fruitcake really that terrible?
  • Topic Archived