• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I don't get the mechanics

User Info: ScottyKarate83

ScottyKarate83
4 months ago#1
I've been playing through the whole series and just got to this one, have never played this before (along with 9 and 12). I don't get ....a lot. The setting and story feel bland but it's the mechanics I really don't get. I sort of understand junctions but I don't understand how stats increase by equipping spells. Also how much does it really matter if enemies level with you?

What happens when GF levels up? It doesn't seem like anything changed.

Also, why can I just repeatedly spam my GFs in battle? I've just been doing that mostly instead of attacking or casting. There's no MP so... Can I just summon every turn?

I hope you can skip the card game entirely because I already lost my best cards just trying to figure out how it works, and don't have any desire to try that again. I just might have to skip this one.

User Info: sano83

sano83
4 months ago#2
ScottyKarate83 posted...
What happens when GF levels up? It doesn't seem like anything changed.
When GF level up, they gain HP and Attack Power, but very slowly.
For example, Shiva HP at level 1 is 298, but at level 10 is 734. This can be further improved by letting the GF learn the GF ability GFHP+10% and so on.

ScottyKarate83 posted...
Also, why can I just repeatedly spam my GFs in battle? I've just been doing that mostly instead of attacking or casting. There's no MP so... Can I just summon every turn?
You can summon them every turn. It is just incredibly boring and there are more dynamic ways to play.
Also, GF can be KO in battle. If you are summoning a GF, a grey box appear with the HP of said monster. If that is depeleted, you can not use it that battle again unless you use a GF Returner.
There will be a boss later that is not possible to defeat by summoning GF.

ScottyKarate83 posted...
I hope you can skip the card game entirely because I already lost my best cards just trying to figure out how it works, and don't have any desire to try that again. I just might have to skip this one.
You can skip the card game entirely, but that would be too bad. It is fun to play once you learn it, and you can get great rewards very early (if you put the time).

ScottyKarate83 posted...
I sort of understand junctions but I don't understand how stats increase by equipping spells.
You mean you don't understand it lore wise?

Also, I know this is 3 days old and you probably moved on with the game. If you haven't and are still trying to figure it out and need help, the board for the PlayStation version of the game is much more active.
VS}FFT}FF IX=DA:O}FF V=CC=PE2}FF VIII=FF XII=ME3=CT=PE}Crysis II}FF III}FF VII}Crysis I}SCII}ME:A}SC}FF X=FF IV}FF VI}FFX-2TLM}FFX-2
(edited 4 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I don't get the mechanics
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A