• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Still the best final dungeon in a FF game (obvious spoilers)

User Info: ArcaneSpiezer

ArcaneSpiezer
4 weeks ago#1
IMO

Ultimecias castle is just awesome. Perfect balance of puzzle solving and boss fights, with a great aesthetic and fantastic music.
FF4 and 5 have good final dungeons as well, but nothing in recent years really stand out or are as memorable as this one.

User Info: dantedeschain13

dantedeschain13
4 weeks ago#2
I like how it does something different from "YOU CAN GET THE BEST GEAR THAT YOU CAN USE FOR 5 MINUTES" from exploring. Is really rewarding when you beat the next boss
F*** you, Desert Bluffs

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
4 weeks ago#3
I love the atmosphere and music, but I just immensely dislike the way it makes you unlock your own abilities.

My favorite would be... it’s actually tough I guess. Let’s see, out of the ones I’ve beaten:

-1’s final dungeon is cool but simple. Love the idea of returning to and expanding upon the first dungeon though, it’s actually really clever especially for a game that just gets written off as vanilla.

-3’s final dungeon is epic for the time. The lack of save points is BRUTAL considering that it’s technically more than one dungeon and the end boss can be really hard especially if you don’t have any well-equipped Onions. Love it though, gave me one of the biggest rushes to complete it, and the atmosphere is amazing for what they were working with.

-4’s dungeon is cool, I like the glassy look and it feels really climactic. Don’t remember if anything stood out for me but it did its job well.

-5’s is really cool, I like the changing aesthetics, it’s a breath of fresh air from what you would expect.

-6’s final dungeon is iconic and memorable, it’s definitely up there. But the split parties hold it back, because it’s always so lopsided for me, some of the cast are just bound to be duds because I can’t level up everyone and get everyone to learn all the best spells.

-7’s is great. I like the chance to take different paths, and they did a lot with the lighting and color to make the cave setting really vibrant compared to what you’d expect. Plus the Magic Pots and Movers make for a great incentive to visit and leave haha

-9’s is cool, it’s been a minute so I forgot a lot about it but I remember it being beautiful and I like the Fiend bosses.

-don’t remember enough if 10’s final dungeon either, was it the city on Sin’s back? I liked that I think, but forgot so much. Definitely some great emotional delivery from one of the bosses and quite the... surprise from the actual final boss haha

I dunno, maybe 7’s is my favorite? The colorful atmosphere, music, split paths, incentive to play a little ways into it and leave for later due to the great materia and enemies.

Maybe 3 just because of how exciting and fulfilling it was to beat, although one playthrough was enough to make me satisfied haha, not looking forward to the idea of that struggle again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: sano83

sano83
4 weeks ago#4
I love it.

manmouse posted...
-don’t remember enough if 10’s final dungeon either, was it the city on Sin’s back?

Yup. With pieces of ... Sin poping out from the ground.

manmouse posted...
-9’s is cool, it’s been a minute so I forgot a lot about it but I remember it being beautiful and I like the Fiend bosses.

Memoria. Have "scenes" from the story of the game, Quina swiming in air, etc.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
Garrus Vakarian - "So. Who needs their ass kicked now?"

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
4 weeks ago#5
dantedeschain13 posted...
I like how it does something different from "YOU CAN GET THE BEST GEAR THAT YOU CAN USE FOR 5 MINUTES" from exploring. Is really rewarding when you beat the next boss

That’s definitely a major pet peeve of mine.

I don’t mind FF7 having some outstanding materia there because you can grab it and dip out and still play all the sidequests.

But when it’s all deep in there and either impossible to leave or simply not worth leaving after acquiring it (like if there’s no more sidequest content anyway even if you can leave), then it’s just such a bummer, and the reward doesn’t feel like a true reward since it’s just here and then it’s over.

It’s part of the reason that I dislike how people will discuss the usefulness of different characters and specifically focus on endgame builds (with all gear, all abilities, high stats) as if that’s the definitive point for the character to be at.
It’s all fine until you realize that the “endgame build” can only exist in the context of having maybe one or two more hours of gameplay with that character.

It’s like discussing your life but only in terms of what it will be like at age 90. I’d much rather take into account everything leading up to that.

I’d rather discuss how the characters are when you’re only an hour into the game. 5 hours, 10 hours, a quarter way in, halfway in, and of course in the third act before the final dungeons. Because that’s where the meat of your experience with the game lies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: SoraOwnKeyblade

SoraOwnKeyblade
4 weeks ago#6
sano83 posted...
manmouse posted...
-don’t remember enough if 10’s final dungeon either, was it the city on Sin’s back?

No, it's a different area inside of Sin. Although, it's possible that some of those structures within him are lower levels connected to it. The party actually winds up in that city on his back at one point mid-game, after that Wendigo battle and when they fall through the ice.
So sayeth the ruler of Bethos.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

sano83
4 weeks ago#7
SoraOwnKeyblade posted...
sano83 posted...
manmouse posted...

No, it's a different area inside of Sin. Although, it's possible that some of those structures within him are lower levels connected to it. The party actually winds up in that city on his back at one point mid-game, after that Wendigo battle and when they fall through the ice.

I was talking about "City of Dying Dreams", where you are walking and you have columns of the same material as the floor rising and stuf.

Isnt the part where they are walking on ice, and having to collect some spheres, but if the party stay still for a few seconds, an ice spear (or something) will pop up from the floor and make Tidus fall on the ground also inside of Sin and part of the last dungeon?

Anyways, worst last dungeon is Sky Fortress Bahamut. Is like two rooms, with super weak enemies.

User Info: SoraOwnKeyblade

SoraOwnKeyblade
4 weeks ago#8
Yeah, it is. One of the last parts of it. My response was directed towards the answer to Manmouse's question. The final dungeon takes place inside of him rather than in the ruins on his back.
So sayeth the ruler of Bethos.

sano83
4 weeks ago#9
Ohhh I see. Sorry for the confusion, I wasnt 100% sure of the end dungeon of Final Fantasy X.

User Info: ShinWesker

ShinWesker
4 weeks ago#10
I agree. FF8 has the best dungeon asthetics. It actually reminds me a lot of a Resident Evil classic location.

FF7 had the better rewards though.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Still the best final dungeon in a FF game (obvious spoilers)
  • Post New Message