• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. If squall was my friend........

User Info: Snake_eyebrows

Snake_eyebrows
4 weeks ago#21
I kind of agree with Squall. Whats the point of pretending to care about some ones problems? Life sucks, so don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed with life. I don't ask anyone for help so I expect people not to ask me for help.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
4 weeks ago#22
Snake_eyebrows posted...
I kind of agree with Squall. Whats the point of pretending to care about some ones problems?

If you experience the phenomenon known as empathy, you can care at least a little bit if someone expresses suffering or unhappiness. Generally people without this emotion end up becoming animal abusers, rapists, or serial killers.

Life sucks, so don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed with life.

Sounds like the Fox and the Grapes parable. Can’t reach the grapes, so... they must have been sour anyway. Except that parable is supposed to be a cautionary tale to not think that way.

I don't ask anyone for help so I expect people not to ask me for help.

It’s an interesting idea, but self/reliance is a myth in 99.99999% of scenarios. Chances are you’re using skills learned from another person who taught you, which were learned from the discoveries and sweat-blood-tears of people who came before you. You’re using public infrastructure built by other workers and paid for by society, often procuring materials that are not affordable to you because the business used slave labor in which children and adults literally suffered, bled, and died in order to make your ownership of the cheap commodity possible.

Your food was grown and brought to you with the labor of others, and although you pay for it with your own “earned” dollar, the people who produced it were likely paid far far far far less than you would ever make despite their immense labor, so again what you put in is not equal to what was done for you by others.

The technology that you use was invented with knowledge and creativity that is not proportional to the price that you pay to acquire that same tech. And again, it was likely assembled by slaves who worked far harder on the product than you ever had to work in order to earn the check to buy it.

Now, if you really drop off the grid create everything you own without a debt to another person for the contributions that made it possible, then yeah we can definitely talk about self reliance.

But for the rest of us, we live in a world where people’s contributions are valuable and essential for the next person to live comfortably. We’re not in a vacuum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
4 weeks ago#23
Snake_eyebrows posted...
I kind of agree with Squall. Whats the point of pretending to care about some ones problems? Life sucks, so don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed with life. I don't ask anyone for help so I expect people not to ask me for help.

Personally, I think that's going too far, and I'm a loner by inclination. Having said that, there's no question he was right to be irritated during the "Secret Area" event.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

Snake_eyebrows
4 weeks ago#24
manmouse posted...
Snake_eyebrows posted...
I kind of agree with Squall. Whats the point of pretending to care about some ones problems?

If you experience the phenomenon known as empathy, you can care at least a little bit if someone expresses suffering or unhappiness. Generally people without this emotion end up becoming animal abusers, rapists, or serial killers.

Life sucks, so don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed with life.

Sounds like the Fox and the Grapes parable. Can’t reach the grapes, so... they must have been sour anyway. Except that parable is supposed to be a cautionary tale to not think that way.

I don't ask anyone for help so I expect people not to ask me for help.

It’s an interesting idea, but self/reliance is a myth in 99.99999% of scenarios. Chances are you’re using skills learned from another person who taught you, which were learned from the discoveries and sweat-blood-tears of people who came before you. You’re using public infrastructure built by other workers and paid for by society, often procuring materials that are not affordable to you because the business used slave labor in which children and adults literally suffered, bled, and died in order to make your ownership of the cheap commodity possible.

Your food was grown and brought to you with the labor of others, and although you pay for it with your own “earned” dollar, the people who produced it were likely paid far far far far less than you would ever make despite their immense labor, so again what you put in is not equal to what was done for you by others.

The technology that you use was invented with knowledge and creativity that is not proportional to the price that you pay to acquire that same tech. And again, it was likely assembled by slaves who worked far harder on the product than you ever had to work in order to earn the check to buy it.

Now, if you really drop off the grid create everything you own without a debt to another person for the contributions that made it possible, then yeah we can definitely talk about self reliance.

But for the rest of us, we live in a world where people’s contributions are valuable and essential for the next person to live comfortably. We’re not in a vacuum.

Everything you say is true.

I'm just a broken irrational human that hates people one day, and wants to save the world the next. My childhood was similar to Squalls. Everyone died or abandoned me, before I even developed a personality. I had to teach myself what caring was, and I am still battling that angry hateful child inside of me.

User Info: black_convoy1

black_convoy1
4 weeks ago#25
manmouse posted...

If you experience the phenomenon known as empathy, you can care at least a little bit if someone expresses suffering or unhappiness.

As a loner by nature, I find extroverts to lack empathy towards anybody that doesn't live the way they do. That is why for the past 10+ years of my life, extroverts keep trying to remake me in their own image. They refuse to understand that no means no. They don't care, even a little bit, if I am unhappy with their unwanted advances. They can't even understand that not everybody wants to live like they do, and that their way of life is not right for everyone. Just like how marriage and children aren't right for everyone. They will stop at nothing to change me into being someone that I don't want to be. Since extroverts have no empathy for me, I'll have no empathy for them. Why care about the happiness of extroverts when extroverts clearly don't care about the happiness of me?

1Tekkaman
4 weeks ago#26
black_convoy1 posted...
manmouse posted...

If you experience the phenomenon known as empathy, you can care at least a little bit if someone expresses suffering or unhappiness.

As a loner by nature, I find extroverts to lack empathy towards anybody that doesn't live the way they do. That is why for the past 10+ years of my life, extroverts keep trying to remake me in their own image. They refuse to understand that no means no. They don't care, even a little bit, if I am unhappy with their unwanted advances. They can't even understand that not everybody wants to live like they do, and that their way of life is not right for everyone. Just like how marriage and children aren't right for everyone. They will stop at nothing to change me into being someone that I don't want to be. Since extroverts have no empathy for me, I'll have no empathy for them. Why care about the happiness of extroverts when extroverts clearly don't care about the happiness of me?

Your description of extroverts sounds an awful lot like Quistis's early-game behavior.

Snake_eyebrows
4 weeks ago#27
1Tekkaman posted...
black_convoy1 posted...
manmouse posted...

Your description of extroverts sounds an awful lot like Quistis's early-game behavior.

Yup.

They just won't stop until you either get mad and offend them, or you give in and go out with them. Some of us prefer to stay in, but thats a sad way to live in their eyes.

1Tekkaman
4 weeks ago#28
Snake_eyebrows posted...
1Tekkaman posted...
black_convoy1 posted...
manmouse posted...

Yup.

They just won't stop until you either get mad and offend them, or you give in and go out with them. Some of us prefer to stay in, but thats a sad way to live in their eyes.

Exactly. I'm not as extreme (speaking in a strictly technical sense) case as you are, but I have a very low tolerance for being around people aside from my immediate family (mother and brother). Regarding Quistis, as I have found myself pointing out quite a lot over the last week or so, she abused her authority in the "Secret Area" event, dragging Squall in for something he had long ago made clear he wanted nothing to do with. "Go talk to a wall" was IMO a long time coming.

User Info: black_convoy1

black_convoy1
4 weeks ago#29
Snake_eyebrows posted...
1Tekkaman posted...
black_convoy1 posted...
manmouse posted...

Yup.

I won't give in. They've been trying to get me to give in for the past 10+ years now. They don't have what it takes to get me to "give in". Their women just aren't compelling enough to get me to do so.

User Info: Inxentas

Inxentas
4 weeks ago#30
This is why I like Squall a lot as a character. Where extraverts get energic from socializing it drains an introvert into irritation and eventual isolation. He sorta learns to tap from both barrels so to speak. A development I went through myself as well.

I no longer allow myself to become irate due to extraverts. I just anwer them on their own level. I'll energeticly tell them about my alternate plans. Basicly I adopt my language to theirs because they do understand the basic concept of ' looking forward' to something.

Suddenly they understand they have a choice to hear me ramble on energeticly about something they don't care about (which drains them because boring) or find someone else. Become the wall. Nothing gets past the wall.
Kept you waiting, huh?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. If squall was my friend........
  • Post New Message