• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Why does the game get so weird after Disk 1? (STORY SPOILERS / LENGTHY!!)

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
2 months ago#61
Stover46 posted...
Because the plot is a bunch of rushed nonsense

Untrue.

TGS55 posted...
That whole romance thing is totally forced, so of course it doesn't make sense. I was just watching some anime earlier where a couple of characters were talking about the misattribution of arousal brought on by fear. I think that's totally what happened with this slapped-on romance, but only if you're willing to apply some kind of logic. But if you're like me and you don't want to think too much about it, just chalk it up to bad writing. The primary audience is teenagers and this is supposed to be some kind of high school, so there had to be some high school romance drama jammed in here somewhere. Welcome to it.

It was anything but forced. It must again be pointed out that there are subtle hints about the whole thing from the get-go.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
2 months ago#62
TGS55 posted...
That whole romance thing is totally forced, so of course it doesn't make sense. I was just watching some anime earlier where a couple of characters were talking about the misattribution of arousal brought on by fear. I think that's totally what happened with this slapped-on romance, but only if you're willing to apply some kind of logic. But if you're like me and you don't want to think too much about it, just chalk it up to bad writing. The primary audience is teenagers and this is supposed to be some kind of high school, so there had to be some high school romance drama jammed in here somewhere. Welcome to it.

....you pretty much just insulted your own lack of intelligence and are encouraging others not to think lol
I like to go really fast
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9IgDmMQGjEboTHyM/giphy.gif

User Info: cazza_mr

cazza_mr
1 month ago#63
mr369248 posted...

I don't quite remember why about Lunatic Pandora and Tear's Point, but wasn't it essentially to just bring about the Lunar Cry? I don't know how that would help her achieve her goal unless she knew beforehand that the heroes were going to go into space near Adel's Tomb.

Lunatic Pandora was taken to Tears Point so the trajectory of the lunar cry was changed and it brought down Adels tomb with it thus freeing her and allowing Ultemicia to possess her
Psn profile - cazzamr
Trophys platinum-15, gold-143, silver-581, bronze-2911, total-3650

User Info: kratozero

kratozero
1 month ago#64
lezardthewizard posted...
Kainstryder posted...

Ok, and just to clarify some things

Sorry mate, wasn't trying to sound like a dick, but seriously those theories don't even make sense if you really think about them.

I agree with these answers from lezardthewizard, some more comments:

1. Considering that it is clearly stated that NORG funded the Garden, it is quite surprising to see that he apparently did not have a say in Garden affairs, this is even more surprising considering that there is a part of the game to go and "knock some sense" into him to the point where he is actually hurt and even scared. While it seems harsh that he pretended to side with the sorceress seeing the current developments of the world, he was trying to see for his investment...which is understandable considering how little he really knew about what Cid planned all along. Could Cid not explain what was going on in reality and that Squall would become the Legendary SeeD?, Did Edea never tell him about this despite explaining the rest of the plan which was set on motion perfectly?, Did Cid plan to decieve NORG all along?.

2. Cid seems to be very incompetent, as he knew(or seemed to know) a lot about the story yet he did not do much, maybe it is intended to be one of those kind of characters that don't meddle with the current events in order to let events flow naturally. In my latest run I was not surprised that Squall was made the leader of Garden(as explained by lezardthewizard above), but I was surprised as to how little prepared and conflicted for this he was, Garden students apparently do not learn psychology, strategic thinking, leadership, interpersonal abilities, etc. Otherwise, how did he become a SeeD?, can a person be SeeD based on being a skilled lone wolf, obedience and strength regardless of showing no strategic or interpersonal skills?, was Cid medding with his development?.

3. Rinoa was never the sharpest tool in the shed anyway....my bet is that since Squall saved her during the end of Disc 1(fear like she experienced surely changed her) and she also noticed Squall was "up and coming" during Disc 2, she began to understand him a bit more and thus fell in love with him.

4. I don't think there is a problem with this either, it is not mandatory to present all of the characters during the opening acts of a game. I agree that more backstory would have been interesting(maybe) but it is not something that demerits the plot.

5. I think that arguing about this is illogical as things occurring during battles are not necessarily happening in a physical way and are mostly magical effects; do Dolphins actually come out of the ground during Zell's Limit Break and can he actually run around the planet in a couple of seconds during My Final Heaven?, Can Rinoa become a comet by riding Angelo and hit the enemy multiple times in a separate dimension?, are people aware that sometimes pillars of light appear over the horizon because Squall is using Blasting Zone?. My guess is that the Icicle was a magic spell that caused Squall to be KOed, the sorceress got the party arrested and taken to the prison where Squall was revived using a Phoenix Down or some other method for interrogation.

6. Esthar was secluded from the rest of the world during Discs 1 and 2 yet it is mentioned sometimes as a mysterious place with advanced tech(FH mostly), why is it so hard to think they would barely know about it?, to me this is nothing out of the ordinary, also...it appears in the world map available from the start of the game so it is reasonable to think you would get there eventually as part of the story.

I will also probably make another topic to discuss these and some other things I noticed in my latest run of the game.
There are no JRPGs or WRPGs; only good or bad RPGs.
Playing: Red Dead Redemption 2, FFVIIIR, Pokemon SoulSilver, Pokemon Go.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Why does the game get so weird after Disk 1? (STORY SPOILERS / LENGTHY!!)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers