• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Why does the game get so weird after Disk 1? (STORY SPOILERS / LENGTHY!!)

User Info: Kainstryder

Kainstryder
2 months ago#1
In before "Squall is Dead" Theory. Yes, I know about theory for years but the director himself gave a interview saying he disagrees with it. So who knows? Now on with the actual topic.

Why does it get so weird? For example...

1 - The Balamb garden civil war. The Norg? An ancient blob who apparently lives at the bottom of Garden who secretly controls everything? Why wasn't this mentioned in Disk 1? Why didn't Cid say anything about it? Also, those creepy guys who acts like Security suddenly turns on Cid? No explanation was ever given. Also, this part of the story never mentions again. Uh...

2 - Why does every character act out of character?? For ex. Cid. Suddenly, Cid doesn't know how to fly the garden and let Squall do everything? Squall is the ONLY character in the game that was consistent, even his dialogue reflects this. ("Why the hell am I suddenly in charge?" or "WTF why does everyone around me thinks I'm a leader?"). Squall failed in his mission to kill Edea at the end of Disk 1, why is he suddenly in charge? He was also never teached anyone unlike Quistis. She should've been the one people should look up to.

3 - Rinoa. Since when the hell she ever fell in love with Squall? In disk 1, she is Oil, Squall is water. Both of them disliked each other and Rinoa never mentioned of her falling for Squall. Squall also sees her as a joke throughout the mission. Suddenly she falls for him and would even die for him? Ok.

4. Ultimecia. A future sorceress who controlled the body of Edea to destroy the SeeD. Again, never mentioned or even allude to in Disk 1. In Disk 1, everything was set realistically. Timber, the mission to kill Edea, the train mission. This is just Fantastical.

5. How the hell did Squall survive the Ice pierce to his heart at the end of Disk 1? Impossible. No advanced technology exists to heal that or medicine or even magic. Otherwise, Ultimecia / Edea would have never been beaten if she can heal herself and beyond death!

6. Esthar and it's story. Adel, giant monoliths, once again mentioned again after that part of the story is done. What does this got to do with Ultimecia anyways?

Ight, I think that's it for now. I'm listing these out of memory from when I completed this game a year ago, will play this again soon. But these are questions we just didn't have answers to IMO. Anyone help clear it up!

User Info: optimusmart

optimusmart
2 months ago#2
I want to know how they transform living beings into playing cards, that is never explained either ;)
If you would like to edit this user's signature, then do so by clicking here

User Info: Zed7777ZR1

Zed7777ZR1
2 months ago#3
TC ... a simple answer to yoru whole topic ...

Not everything needs foreshadowing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfIagECm6BI updated 09/04/2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHLq6nHQmk Apex Legends - Here come the warriors by Unsecret

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
2 months ago#4
1. An explanation is indeed given during the event in question.

2. Quistis? Give me a break. She persistently behaves in a highly unprofessional manner, to the point of abusing her authority (the "Secret Area" event), and, let us not forget, abandons her post (the same thing for which she had previously excoriated Seifer) during the Sorceress assassination event. Putting her in charge would be nothing short of insane.

3. Missing a lot of subtleties here. In point of fact their animosity lasts no longer than the second Laguna interlude, after which Squall is at first grudgingly accepting; Rinoa never shows any dislike, only irritation at specific actions. Also, far from seeing Rinoa as a "joke," he trusts her abilities enough to ask her to back him up when he takes on Edea.

4. That part is poorly explained, granted, but if you think of Edea as Ultimecia in another body early on, it starts to make more sense. Come down to it, all of the first disc is but a prelude.

5. Squall was struck on the far right side of his chest, just below the shoulder. Serious, sure, but not an instant kill.

6. The connection to Ultemecia is explained in great detail, and in point of fact you can find hints about Esthar and suchlike in the in-game database much earlier.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Searinghawk

Searinghawk
2 months ago#5
1Tekkaman posted...
1. An explanation is indeed given during the event in question.

2. Quistis? Give me a break. She persistently behaves in a highly unprofessional manner, to the point of abusing her authority (the "Secret Area" event), and, let us not forget, abandons her post (the same thing for which she had previously excoriated Seifer) during the Sorceress assassination event. Putting her in charge would be nothing short of insane.

3. Missing a lot of subtleties here. In point of fact their animosity lasts no longer than the second Laguna interlude, after which Squall is at first grudgingly accepting; Rinoa never shows any dislike, only irritation at specific actions. Also, far from seeing Rinoa as a "joke," he trusts her abilities enough to ask her to back him up when he takes on Edea.

4. That part is poorly explained, granted, but if you think of Edea as Ultimecia in another body early on, it starts to make more sense. Come down to it, all of the first disc is but a prelude.

5. Squall was struck on the far right side of his chest, just below the shoulder. Serious, sure, but not an instant kill.

6. The connection to Ultemecia is explained in great detail, and in point of fact you can find hints about Esthar and suchlike in the in-game database much earlier.

^This. Also to expand on 1, Norg is mentioned again in the optional Shumi Village quest

User Info: sano83

sano83
2 months ago#6
Kainstryder posted...
1 - The Balamb garden civil war. The Norg? An ancient blob who apparently lives at the bottom of Garden who secretly controls everything? Why wasn't this mentioned in Disk 1? Why didn't Cid say anything about it? Also, those creepy guys who acts like Security suddenly turns on Cid? No explanation was ever given. Also, this part of the story never mentions again. Uh...

I am almost sure that the desktop PC give information about the gardenmaster.
The gardenmaster Goons?
When you reach Shumi Village (completely optional) there is some information about Norg.

Kainstryder posted...
2 - Why does every character act out of character?? For ex. Cid. Suddenly, Cid doesn't know how to fly the garden and let Squall do everything? Squall is the ONLY character in the game that was consistent, even his dialogue reflects this. ("Why the hell am I suddenly in charge?" or "WTF why does everyone around me thinks I'm a leader?"). Squall failed in his mission to kill Edea at the end of Disk 1, why is he suddenly in charge? He was also never teached anyone unlike Quistis. She should've been the one people should look up to.

Quistis was demoted as instructor because she have 0 leader capabilities.
I dont know what makes you think she would do better as commander than Squall.
Plus. Edea know the whole script of the game, no reason for her to not tell his husband about it.

Kainstryder posted...
3 - Rinoa. Since when the hell she ever fell in love with Squall? In disk 1, she is Oil, Squall is water. Both of them disliked each other and Rinoa never mentioned of her falling for Squall. Squall also sees her as a joke throughout the mission. Suddenly she falls for him and would even die for him? Ok.

One of the first things that Rinoa tell to Squall is that he is the most good looking guy in there, and we can see that Squall is also interested in Rinoa in that same scene.
That, plus spending time together, is the perfect recipy for love. At least in a story directed to teenagers.

Kainstryder posted...
4. Ultimecia. A future sorceress who controlled the body of Edea to destroy the SeeD. Again, never mentioned or even allude to in Disk 1. In Disk 1, everything was set realistically. Timber, the mission to kill Edea, the train mission. This is just Fantastical.

Why would be mentioned in the first disk? The party doesnt know anything about her, nor about how Edea is being controlled by someone else.
Now, if Irvine would have said that he know Edea and she is not acting like herself, then you might have something of a point, but he doesnt, so you dont.

Kainstryder posted...
5. How the hell did Squall survive the Ice pierce to his heart at the end of Disk 1? Impossible. No advanced technology exists to heal that or medicine or even magic. Otherwise, Ultimecia / Edea would have never been beaten if she can heal herself and beyond death!

No human (and there is no real reason to think that Squall is not an human) have the heart in the right shoulder.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]

sano83
2 months ago#7
Kainstryder posted...
6. Esthar and it's story. Adel, giant monoliths, once again mentioned again after that part of the story is done. What does this got to do with Ultimecia anyways?

This is explained once. Why do you need more than one explanation?

User Info: TrueBURP

TrueBURP
2 months ago#8
What I understand is, they had a way bigger story to tell than the disc space they had to use. People seem to forget how limited in data storage we were back then, and the 32-bit era still got the short end of a lot of sticks, especially with more ambitious games like Final Fantasy used to be. A CD used to have around 650 megabytes of space - compare it with the 50 gigabytes a blu-ray disc can have -, and the biggest number of discs they could fit into a game case was four; so the maximum space a game could have was around 2.6gb. And FF8 was very ambitious for it's time, with its heavy usage of CG backgrounds, realistic graphics (for the time), and lots, lots of FMVs. The ending movie alone took half of the fourth disc space, if I remember correctly. So there are a lot of themes and ideas that are heavily alluded to - the succession of witches, the whole story of Laguna in Esthar, and so on -, but could never be really fully realized for lack of space. I'll say I only really understood Seifer's character for real a few months back, when I was playing Dissidia Opera Omnia and his plotline in the game explained him better than any dialogue in the original.

I don't think Ultimecia was ever supposed to be much more than "the evil witch from the future", though.
SCREAM POETRY...

User Info: hizumi84

hizumi84
2 months ago#9
TrueBURP posted...
What I understand is, they had a way bigger story to tell than the disc space they had to use. People seem to forget how limited in data storage we were back then, and the 32-bit era still got the short end of a lot of sticks, especially with more ambitious games like Final Fantasy used to be. A CD used to have around 650 megabytes of space - compare it with the 50 gigabytes a blu-ray disc can have -, and the biggest number of discs they could fit into a game case was four; so the maximum space a game could have was around 2.6gb. And FF8 was very ambitious for it's time, with its heavy usage of CG backgrounds, realistic graphics (for the time), and lots, lots of FMVs. The ending movie alone took half of the fourth disc space, if I remember correctly. So there are a lot of themes and ideas that are heavily alluded to - the succession of witches, the whole story of Laguna in Esthar, and so on -, but could never be really fully realized for lack of space. I'll say I only really understood Seifer's character for real a few months back, when I was playing Dissidia Opera Omnia and his plotline in the game explained him better than any dialogue in the original.

I don't think Ultimecia was ever supposed to be much more than "the evil witch from the future", though.

You know the places that really useless and eat spaces?
Winhill and Esthar.
There's basically nothing in Winhill, only empty little abandoned town.
And Esthar, oh boy, whenever I'm here I always lost back then, the city is a giant maze.
Dying is easy, living is harder

sano83
2 months ago#10
hizumi84 posted...
There's basically nothing in Winhill, only empty little abandoned town.

Right, because town where Laguna meet Raine and Ellone is not important to the story at all o.o.
It is not like where the protagonist was conceived or something like that.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Why does the game get so weird after Disk 1? (STORY SPOILERS / LENGTHY!!)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers