• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. "Love story felt forced and happened too fast"

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 month ago#41
Dissidia_Crazed posted...
1Tekkaman posted...
1Tekkaman posted...
I didn't feel it was rushed. It's even praised as one of the better love stories in Final Fantasy. They even won the Valentine's Day vote for "Best FF couple" back in February of this year. SquallxRinoa are constantly competing with TidusxYuna.

It's still more developed than CloudxTifa (which never goes anywhere) and way more than SnowxSerah. NoctisxLuna seems get criticism regarding lack of development too.

This game nailed teen behavior and High School romance.

Squall/Rinoa utterly destroys the cringe fest that is Tidus/Yuna. Only real competition within Final Fantasy is Zidane/Garnet.

I've heard some claim TidusxYuna was rushed too.

Never came across as rushed to me, but it was and is 100% cringe. I have to mute very nearly every scene they get together.

Haven't played X much. Too slow for me -- in every aspect.

Battle system is good, has a few decent music tracks. Everything else is mediocre at best.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#42

It's still more developed than CloudxTifa (which never goes anywhere)
interested in where you’re coming from with this one, considering:

-Tifa walks away from everything to be Cloud’s guardian when he’s comatose

-both reach their full character development through their relationship with each other.

-in regards to the last point, Tifa enters Cloud’s mind to help him confront the truth, guides him through sorting out Seph’s lies, and helps him find out who he really was, and makes him understand the value in his true self.

-and on Tifa’s end, by seeing Cloud’s memories of who she really was, she confronts how she used to run from problems and not think about others, culminating in the time she ran away and got hurt, and Cloud saved her and was punished. And then in the present, how she ran from confronting Cloud about his distorted telling of the past because she was scared of how he could know things that were so traumatic for her. But through understanding him, she genuinely rescues him at his weakest.

-not to mention, in the scene before the final dungeon, we get this (via the game script):

Tifa: Everyone's gone...

Cloud: Yeah, we don't have anywhere or anyone to go home to.

Tifa: You're right... But... I'm sure someday... they'll come back, don't you think?

Cloud: Hmm... I wonder...? Everyone has an irreplaceable something they're holding on to... But this time, our opponent...

Tifa: Hmm... But that's all right, even if no one comes back. As long as I'm with you... As long as you're by my side... I won't give up even if I'm scared.

Cloud: ... Tifa...

Tifa: No matter how close we are... We were far apart... before this. But when we were in the Lifestream surrounded by all those screams of anguish, I thought I heard your voice... ...sniff... you probably won't remember this... But deep in my heart I heard you calling my name... Or at least I thought I did...

Cloud: Yeah... At the time I heard you calling me. You were calling me back from the stream of consciousness in the Lifestream. After all, I promised. That if anything were to ever happen to you, I would come to help.

Tifa: Cloud...? Do you think the stars can hear us? Do you think they see how hard we're fighting for them?

Cloud: I dunno... But... Whether they are or not, we still have to do what we can. And believe in ourselves... Someday we'll find the answer. Right, Tifa? That's what I learned from you when I was in the Lifestream.

Tifa: Yeah... that's right...

Cloud: Hey Tifa... I... There are a lot of things I wanted to talk to you about. But now that we're together like this, I don't know what I really wanted to say... I guess nothing's changed at all... Kind of makes you want to laugh...

Tifa: Cloud... Words aren't the only thing that tell people what you're thinking...

Cloud: .....

*Later, during the middle of the night...*

Cloud: ...It's almost dawn...

Tifa: H, huh...?

Cloud: Sorry. Did I wake you...? It's almost dawn, Tifa.

Tifa: Umm... G, good morning... Cloud. Give me a little longer... Just a little bit longer... This day will never come again... So let me have this moment...

Cloud: Yeah... okay. This is probably the last time we'll have together...

Plus after that scene (in which Tifa suggested using more than words to express their feelings) Tifa ends up running and hiding when she asks if the people on the Highwind saw what they were doing last night. So make from that what you will, but it’s sure as hell farther than a smooch.

And in an earlier draft, the scene was supposed to end with them coming out of the ship’s Chocobo stable with Tifa looking suspiciously before they snuck out. Heh.

And as a whole, it’s so difficult to make any case saying that their romance went nowhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
manmouse posted...
Plus after that scene (in which Tifa suggested using more than words to express their feelings) Tifa ends up running and hiding when she asks if the people on the Highwind saw what they were doing last night. So make from that what you will, but it’s sure as hell farther than a smooch.

And in an earlier draft, the scene was supposed to end with them coming out of the ship’s Chocobo stable with Tifa looking suspiciously before they snuck out. Heh.

And as a whole, it’s so difficult to make any case saying that their romance went nowhere.

1) It's been a long time since I've played FFVII and I'm pretty sure I read that one part of that is actually an optional scene. So you can easily miss it.

2) Regardless, Cloud has almost permanently friendzoned Tifa, so they're hardly anything beyond best friends. Just because they may have slept together once, does not necessarily confirm they're in a relationship. It's something called a "fling".

Their relationship as friends has developed; their relationship as lovers, Cloud hardly even acknowledges.
My signature does not define me. It is just a signature.

User Info: dillydally123

dillydally123
1 month ago#44
manmouse posted...

Considering it's Japanese, I wouldn't that surprised if she was super embarrassed by just hugging! (Partially joking.)

1) It's been a long time since I've played FFVII and I'm pretty sure I read that one part of that is actually an optional scene. So you can easily miss it.

The scene changes depending on your affection rating with Tifa.

2) Regardless, Cloud has almost permanently friendzoned Tifa, so they're hardly anything beyond best friends.

Where did you get this from?

User Info: DanielsonsXe

DanielsonsXe
1 month ago#45
It's been a long time since I've played FFVII and I'm pretty sure I read that one part of that is actually an optional scene. So you can easily miss it.

Considering the thread this is being brought up in, that's actually pretty funny.Dissidia_Crazed posted...
Regardless, Cloud has almost permanently friendzoned Tifa, so they're hardly anything beyond best friends.

Wait, what? Cloud, the dood that used to stalk Tifa, that followed her up a mountain despite her not wanting him there, that literally left town to become a big shot to impress her, that was so embarrassed about his failure to do so that he refused to show his face in town, that literally became a terrorist because it gave him an excuse to be with her, that dood put HER in the friendzone? I...don't think so...
PSN: NinjaLeonhart
DanielsonsXe posted...
Considering the thread this is being brought up in, that's actually pretty funny.

I fail to see how a note about a missable scene is ironic on a topic regarding a "rushed romance".

Wait, what? Cloud, the dood that used to stalk Tifa, that followed her up a mountain despite her not wanting him there, that literally left town to become a big shot to impress her, that was so embarrassed about his failure to do so that he refused to show his face in town, that literally became a terrorist because it gave him an excuse to be with her, that dood put HER in the friendzone? I...don't think so...

Keywords being "used to". That was then; we're in the now. As of the events of AC, Cloud seems to have backed off a little, only being around when the situation demands it. I mean, he even up and left Tifa, leaving her to raise Marlene and Denzel on her own; he's only around to make deliveries and that's it. It's almost like he wishes to pretend that moment in FFVII never even happened. I think you underestimate what being "friend-zoned" means. Just because they slept together once, does not mean they are in a relationship. With how many people sleep together these days, I don't see how you can deny this. I mean, Cloud seems much more stuck on Aerith than he does Tifa. I can't be the only one whom sees this...? SE just seems to acknowledge they have something, but does not take it any further than Tifa and Cloud simply always being there for each other -- which is how it is with any relationship; at least a healthy one. So there's really nothing special about their relationship that stands out.

I am not saying their "romance" sucks and I am not saying they are not in a relationship. I am saying it is not as spectacular as some like to believe. I am not insulting your "Holy Grail of gaming" here; I am saying what I, personally, have come to notice. Not everyone views it as this flawless story; it is not perfect in every aspect. People see more romance between ZackxAerith and CloudxAerith than CloudxTifa because SE couldn't really decide whom Cloud loves more, and have made Aerith's death the focal point of Cloud's story since she died.

Tifa still plays second-fiddle to her deceased friend. Only by the end of AC, did Cloud finally start to let go of Aerith. Unless DoC developed his feelings for Tifa more without any other women to distract his affections, it's still nothing more than a deeply platonic relationship between friends.

DanielsonsXe
1 month ago#47
I fail to see how a note about a missable scene is ironic on a topic regarding a "rushed romance".

Because the general response the statement this thread is mocking is usually something along the lines of, "There's plenty of build-up in the game if you...", ie a lot of the build-up is optional. So seeing someone (seemingly) dismiss a part of Cloud and Tifa's relationship because it's optional is a bit funny to me.
Keywords being "used to". That was then; we're in the now. As of the events of AC, Cloud seems to have backed off a little, only being around when the situation demands it. I mean, he even up and left Tifa, leaving her to raise Marlene and Denzel on her own; he's only around to make deliveries and that's it. It's almost like he wishes to pretend that moment in FFVII never even happened. I think you underestimate what being "friend-zoned" means. Just because they slept together once, does not mean they are in a relationship. With how many people sleep together these days, I don't see how you can deny this. I mean, Cloud seems much more stuck on Aerith than he does Tifa. I can't be the only one whom sees this...? SE just seems to acknowledge they have something, but does not take it any further than Tifa and Cloud simply always being there for each other -- which is how it is with any relationship; at least a healthy one. So there's really nothing special about their relationship that stands out.

And all of this is true, but inconclusive. Cloud being interested in Tifa platonically only, is a possibility, but I'd call it open to interpretation. My personal interpretation was that by AC he simply didn't feel like he was good enough for her. If you saw it as him just not really being interested in her anymore that's fine. It's not a viewpoint I'd really thought about before, but that's why I enjoy reading people's thoughts on here; to shed new light on things and give me a new way to look at them.
I am not saying their "romance" sucks and I am not saying they are not in a relationship. I am saying it is not as spectacular as some like to believe. I am not insulting your "Holy Grail of gaming" here; I am saying what I, personally, have come to notice. Not everyone views it as this flawless story; it is not perfect in every aspect. People see more romance between ZackxAerith and CloudxAerith than CloudxTifa because SE couldn't really decide whom Cloud loves more, and have made Aerith's death the focal point of Cloud's story since she died.

No worries, I never held FFVII in too high a regard anyway. It's fine but not beyond reproach.
DanielsonsXe posted...
No worries, I never held FFVII in too high a regard anyway. It's fine but not beyond reproach.

Sorry... My experience with VII fans has been...difficult -- most of them, anyway. So if I came off aggressively, it's just my default approach when I see someone defending it because very few take lightly to any negative reception towards FFVII.

DanielsonsXe
1 month ago#49
DanielsonsXe posted...

Sorry... My experience with VII fans has been...difficult -- most of them, anyway. So if I came off aggressively, it's just my default approach when I see someone defending it because very few take lightly to any negative reception towards FFVII.

Yeah, those FFVII fans can be a bit...Crazed...

User Info: serpentaurus

serpentaurus
3 weeks ago#50
DanielsonsXe posted...

Ff7 is a fine game but geez those obsessed fanboys are scary. Tbh i think i enjoy viii more.
Now playing: Overwatch, MK11, CTR:NF, DQ11
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. "Love story felt forced and happened too fast"
  • Post New Message