• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I can't believe I used to like Squall.

User Info: Hohei

Hohei
6 days ago#1
I remember playing this way back when. Just getting into high school, chilling in my room with the radio on playing 8 and thinking Squall was just the coolest dude. He was a badass, didn't let people drag him down, lone wolf guy. Couple years later when Shadow Hearts came out, Yuri was the same way. I loved their characters, modeled some D&D type people after the same personality much to the annoyance of the other people but they just didn't get it. I beat the game and loved his development with Rinoa at the end.

Now replaying this, good GOD Squall is just an emotionally stunted manchild. I just got done with the party and met with Quistis in the training area where she's telling him she basically got fired and she's having these questions about her life and he's like "TL:DR, dgaf b****". This was your teacher, the one that took you to the cavern to get your f***ing GF because you were just too busy not caring about anything to do it then got your ass whooped by your blonde douchebag counterpart and gunned down a giant spider mech on the beach saving your ass and you can't put your damn personal s*** aside to go "That's rough, I don't know what to say but I'm sorry."

No WONDER those characters I made fell flat, no one wants to play with "that guy" who's trying to be the edgy loner. Damn you 15 year old self, damn you to all hell.

I still love the game though. I made my traditional second save slot right before the dance so I can watch that cutscene whenever I want to.

God DAMN though Squall is a giant b****. I'm embarrassed I actually liked characters like him. His only saving grace is that he becomes -less- of a manchild with Rinoa by the end of the game some 40 hours later.
Biscuits and gravy.

User Info: sano83

sano83
6 days ago#2
Quistis can be dead the whole fire carvern.
Seifer cheated (and even he admit it).
The gunned down spider is optional.
You can wach cutscenes in this new cite called yo utub e or something.
And finally, you are confused. The b**** one is the teacher that forces a student that she is hot for, that she knows dont care about her, to a place where students go to pork, only to b**** about the feelings she have that she knows that Squall dont give a fudge about, when she have at least 5 people in her freaking fan club that she can go molest.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]

User Info: Pellegrin

Pellegrin
6 days ago#3
He's a war orphan teenager with amnesia. What did you expect him to be? A super empath?

sano83
6 days ago#4
Pellegrin posted...
He's a war orphan teenager with amnesia. What did you expect him to be? A super empath?

There are 4 other orphan with amnesia, and they all are better than Squall with the social interactions.

User Info: tonberrymasta

tonberrymasta
6 days ago#5
Hohei posted...
Now replaying this, good GOD Squall is just an emotionally stunted manchild.

In other words, he is a typical teenager. Like real teenagers he doesn't realize that his attitude is a problem.

User Info: MJR_Raikov

MJR_Raikov
6 days ago#6
sano83 posted...
The b**** one is the teacher that forces a student that she is hot for, that she knows dont care about her, to a place where students go to pork, only to b**** about the feelings she have that she knows that Squall dont give a fudge about, when she have at least 5 people in her freaking fan club that she can go molest.

I think having that kind of teacher would be super awesome. f*** all that "but it is child abuse!" if you're like 16/17 and about that life then I mean yiggity yeet. Squall shoulda smayshed but that's life man.

User Info: WhiteBaitKent

WhiteBaitKent
6 days ago#7
Do people forget that his character develops and isn't static the entire game? Or are these the infamous Disc 1 only players lmao.
The cancer to video games is if I fail it is the games fault mentality.
Failure is part of growth and everyone wants to skip this and go right to the success
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: MMX377

MMX377
6 days ago#8
sano83 posted...
Pellegrin posted...

There are 4 other orphan with amnesia, and they all are better than Squall with the social interactions.

Uhh... that's what GF made Squall and others except Irvine forget.
"Get up!! Show me your true power!" Ryu's victory quote in SF3
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: Falling Down

Falling Down
6 days ago#9
sano83 posted...
Pellegrin posted...

Missing some big things here

Spoilers

1) Zell got adopted early on by a good/loving family

2) Irvine got his own issues, but he just recently got a GF, his mind is mostly intact, and even then he got women and other issues to cope with .

3) Selphy, she might be the one that turned out okay. Little train crazy but had good friends and is involved in life.

4) Squall was In that orphanage longer than anyone, and had an actual family that got ripped away from him, making him scared, albeit subconsciously, of caring or opening up to anyone again.

While they aren’t the best cast, it makes sense in this world/story.
DOOD!!! ~Prinnies

sano83
6 days ago#10
MMX377 posted...
sano83 posted...
Pellegrin posted...

Uhh... that's what GF made Squall and others except Irvine forget.

What does that have to do with anything have said here?
Pellegrin said that Squall is a orphan teenager with amnesia, and that is why is expected of him to be like that.
I said that there are 4 other orphan with amnesia, and none of them is as bad as Squall with the social recluse like Squall want to believe Squall is.
Seifer, Selphie, Quistis and Zell. None of them act like Squall, and most of them act the extreme opposite of him.

So, again, what does your brilliant remark about the GF making Squall and the others forget brings?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I can't believe I used to like Squall.
  • Post New Message