• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Angelo Search: Observational Findings

User Info: Attilus1352

Attilus1352
1 month ago#1
Ok, so I did some testing with a stopwatch on the amount of time it took Angelo to search again, and I did find a pattern, not from the items you get as described in the FAQ, but the times between each search. Note that these times may be off slightly because I did most of the testing without using x3 game speed (which I should have). The times I will be posting are the close approximations at x3. I am not sure how to calculate it (since minutes are only 60 secs long and I am just to lazy to find out lol).

Setup: Started after completely backing out of the game. Got into the confuse Turapod method. Did nothing but wait out each time until the end.

Note: When you completely back out of the game (which I did a few times), the game randomly chooses a starting point within the pattern. When you exit and continue the game, the pattern starts where you left off (same goes for when you end a fight and start another one).

One more thing before I actually tell you what the pattern is (geez, I am starting to sound like Monty Python lol). The times between each search can be manipulated as described near the end. More methods of doing this will undoubtedly be uncovered sooner or later.

Items I got in the order I got them during this were: Jet engine, mega-phoenix, g-hi-potion, g-potion, x-potion, g-returner, potion +, hi-potion +, hi-potion +, x-potion, cottage, g-potion, gf scroll, phoenix down, rune armlet, potion, tent, potion, hero, potion, potion, x potion, x potion, mega phoenix, holy stone, potion +, potion, cottage, hero trial, steel orb, g-mega potion, g potion, cottage, cottage, mega phoenix, and g returner.

Sad item scoring I know, but I have gotten a fair amount of rare items with overnight searching. Not too sure if Item manipulation will work in this version?

Ok, to begin:

First search, then
-14 secs next
-1:43 next
-43 next
-40 next
-2:43 next
-6:40 next
-2:43 next
-1:43 next
-3:10 next

This pattern repeated another 3 times. The forth time this pattern started, I tried a few things.

-Casted Treatment 5 times where the pattern has a time of 2:43 and it cut the time down by 30 secs.
-Casted Treatment 25 times on the next one at 6:40, and it cut the time down to 5:30.
-Changed characters only; 100 times on the next one. No change. Still 2:43
-Did nothing on the next to see if my "doing something" changed the time. It did not. Still 1:43

Hopefully they will find a quick way to shorten all these times.

Final note: Actual times without x3 were 48, 4:30, 1:30, 1:20, 7:30, 19:20, 7:30, 4:30, and 9:30
(edited 1 month ago)

Attilus1352
1 month ago#2
Editing my post has come and gone. I should have mentioned that the 3:10 time was actually where I started in this pattern, before Angelo did his first search. Other people will most probably start at another time within this pattern. It is easy to see where you are at just by timing the next search, or if need be, the next one after that. Hopefully those times are not different with each PS4.

User Info: Sir_Elan

Sir_Elan
1 month ago#3
I'm more disturbed by the fact that none of those were the CW exclusive items that were said to be available through Angelo search.

User Info: geckodogma

geckodogma
1 month ago#4
Did you find a good spot to look for a Turtapod?
My channel with random game videos https://goo.gl/G7wg15

User Info: U_J

U_J
1 month ago#5
These times confuse me a bit cuz I’ve had searches within 14 seconds at x3 speed. Captured clips with intentions of going through it properly at some point.

Obviously that pattern can not be ignored though.

I’ll mention the spot again here: The UFO encounter at Grandidi Forest is the best place to do Angelo Searches.

Are the timings between searches beginning at the end of the search? It sounds obvious but... just checking

I had 3 Hungry Cookpots and 1 Ribbon yesterday. Today I’ve got 2 Ribbons.. that gives you an idea on the RNG

User Info: serpiente1989

serpiente1989
1 month ago#6
U_J posted...
These times confuse me a bit cuz I’ve had searches within 14 seconds at x3 speed. Captured clips with intentions of going through it properly at some point.

I’ll mention the spot again here: The UFO encounter at Grandidi Forest is the best place to do Angelo Searches.

Are the timings between searches beginning at the end of the search? It sounds obvious but... just checking

I had 3 Hungry Cookpots and 1 Ribbon yesterday. Today I’ve got 2 Ribbons.. that gives you an idea on the RNG

two tries with the ufo? reloading right?

U_J
1 month ago#7
Reloading? I just escape the fight. The Grandidi Forest one, where you break it. I was taking a break from grinding and thought i’d do the quest, but then Angelo started searching and realised I could escape the fight and activate the encounter any time I wanted.

It might work on PuPu himself but I haven’t progressed that far cuz his UFO is just too damned idle and great for searching.

Attilus1352
1 month ago#8
geckodogma posted...
Did you find a good spot to look for a Turtapod?

between the center of the city and the outskirts (east side) on one of the smaller connecting blue roads. Consistent Turapod every 2nd or third fight (at least what I have found).

Attilus1352
1 month ago#9
U_J posted...

Yes, times are between one search to the next. I can\t use the UFO thing because I have already completed it. Next time I do a playthrough. I guess. And yes, the RNG for this is odd. A few hours after this test, tried again and got 2 Hungry Cookpots and 2 Friendships.

U_J
1 month ago#10
Nice.

I love that I’ve had to explore Angelo Search, It’s been a real treasure.

Hopefully Angelo will dig up that 3rd Ribbon and I’ll feel I can proceed to disc 4, even though I kinda did earlier on another save. I should finish up really, ain’t gonna match that ps1 save with all the jacked goodies :/
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Angelo Search: Observational Findings
  • Post New Message