• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I don't get the hype. This game is awful.

User Info: vejeta

vejeta
1 week ago#91
Just start the game again from the beginning now that you know how the level up mechanics work.
NNID:Jab_187 3DS:0877-0271-5435 PSN:Jab_187 XBL:Jab 187 z
PC: i7-5820K Hexacore @3.30GHz, 32G DDR4, 980TI-SLI, Asus PG27UQ G-Sync HDR10 4K Steam:Vejeta187

User Info: Stover46

Stover46
1 week ago#92
Don't worry about fanboys OP. You're allowed to dislike the game. A lot of people do. I love the game, but it does have a ton of flaws and I think it's the weakest of the 3 PS1 games
3DS FC: 4141-6111-4038
http://i.imgur.com/KAy7cdo.gif - so hyped http://i.imgur.com/RETdTVM.jpg

User Info: threetimes

threetimes
1 week ago#93
I bought this game 20 years when it first came out and my initial reaction was similar to yours. tc. But then I didn't have the benefit of knowing exactly what the game would be like! I sold it but rebought it a year or so later and tried again, and fell in love with the game, so I know what it's lilke to hate and love this game!

I'd suggest, go play something else for a while and come back to it with a different attitude. Read up on how to play the game, watch some youtube videos, (I'd recommend Primaliquid who explains a lot about the system) so you're not so confused by the tutorial. If you've played FF9 you should already be familiar with Triple Triad and this is the best version of that game.
The bells haven't stopped ringing yet.
threetimes posted...
I bought this game 20 years when it first came out and my initial reaction was similar to yours. tc. But then I didn't have the benefit of knowing exactly what the game would be like! I sold it but rebought it a year or so later and tried again, and fell in love with the game, so I know what it's lilke to hate and love this game!

I'd suggest, go play something else for a while and come back to it with a different attitude. Read up on how to play the game, watch some youtube videos, (I'd recommend Primaliquid who explains a lot about the system) so you're not so confused by the tutorial. If you've played FF9 you should already be familiar with Triple Triad and this is the best version of that game.

IX is Tetra Master, and a horrible version of a card game.

Stover46 posted...
Don't worry about fanboys OP. You're allowed to dislike the game. A lot of people do. I love the game, but it does have a ton of flaws and I think it's the weakest of the 3 PS1 games

Keep in mind that all but III have a version on the original PlayStation.

Origins has Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II, Chronicles has Final Fantasy IV, Anthology has Final Fantasy V and VI, and then there's Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy IX.

If you compare Final Fantasy VIII to other JRPG titles from the same year, VIII has the best cinematic scenes and even plot. The controls were easy to understand and learn, and the sidequests were easy to take part in. Other titles had cutscenes that were either really choppy FMV sequences, or were anime inspired. VIII was the only one that I am aware of that had CGI FMV that was rendered to be as realistic as possible for the graphical limitations of the time.

Yes, some of graphics looked a little weird, but compared to other games of all genres at the time, it was one of the top on what was cutting edge graphics.
PSN Name Black-Thunder3
There are cheats for pc games??- cheatermaster

User Info: sano83

sano83
4 days ago#95
blackthunder329 posted...
IX is Tetra Master, and a horrible version of a card game.

Tetra Master is a good mini game. It just pales against Triple Triad.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
4 days ago#96
You don’t need to know the enemies scale with you. I didn’t know for like... 10 years after it released? And it didn’t affect me. Some mechanics can be invisible and that’s normal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
sano83 posted...

Tetra Master was not a good game. A card with a higher number could lose to the smaller number just because the lower number counted down slower.
PSN Name Black-Thunder3
There are cheats for pc games??- cheatermaster

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 day ago#98
I don't get why some consider it awful.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 day ago#99
blackthunder329 posted...
sano83 posted...

Tetra Master was not a good game. A card with a higher number could lose to the smaller number just because the lower number counted down slower.

It have a bit of randomness, but not that much.
And that bit of randomness set it aside of an A card always beating everything that is 9 or lower in Triple Triad.
But, you play the whole mini game, wherever you are, with the same rules. There is no "I carry the rules from trabia, and will play against a Balamb NPC, so who the hell know which rules we end up playing in the end". Or a crapload of reboots to make all the rules dissapear by manipulating the RNG.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
sano83 posted...
The improvement in the graphics they made clash horribly with the original backgrounds, but in the original, it is not something that will hurt your eyes.

As you said, the draw system is unnecessary.

All your other complains are grouped into the: "I brought this game without doing any research, and now I dont like it", wich is entirely your fault.

The game is 20 years old, if you didnt knew that the monsters scale with your active party, it is your fault.

though...he said he loved 7, and 7's remaster has the exact same issue (as does 9's). They uprezzed the models but not the prerendered backgrounds, and it breaks the illusion.

Really wish they'd done what capcom did with REmake and RE0 and re-scanned and touched up the backgrounds too.

If its that big an issue play 8 on the vita instead, its the original ps1 version without the hd models and sd backgrounds, and the small screen helps hide the age of the visuals. Its like seven bucks.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I don't get the hype. This game is awful.
  • Post New Message