• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I don't get the hype. This game is awful.

User Info: RoboFish

RoboFish
1 week ago#1
I never got around to playing FF8 originally. I played and LOVED 7, 10, 12, 13, 13-2, and 15 so I was really excited to try out 8 now that is has a platinum trophy and is remastered. The opening title screen is beautiful. The cinematic intro was pretty cool and had what I thought was good graphics for the remaster. I was like dang this is gonna be good. Has anyone at Square Enix heard of "Under-promise and over-deliver"? Well they certainly did the opposite.

It loads me into the clunkiest and ugliest tutorial menu I've ever seen. The classroom with a FFX character standing among other blurry characters in a background drawn by a six year old. The menu is hideous! How could they not take a few days and program a new look to the menu. Grey blocks with plain white text? Unacceptable. Then I walk to the over world and I'm shocked, literally the worst graphics I've ever seen since PS1. The first town you go to looks like a blown up Sim City 89 sprite. The battle scene is AWFUL. The backgrounds look cut out and pasted in a scrap book. I checked the original graphics and the pixels blend things together and looks better than the PS4 graphics! This is the laziest port I've ever seen and is an offense on the level of an EA cash grab. This makes me worried for FF7.

And as far as the gameplay is concerned... They don't tell you that things scale with your level, or give any indication that's not the way to play it. The draw system is clunky and unnecessary. I feel it was implemented for no other reason than to be different. The GF junction situation is ridiculous. How tedious could they possibly make an RPG? I LOVE card games. This has the worst type I've ever played. I turned it off to play Slay the Spire. I WANT to love this game. I WANT to finish/platinum it like I have every other FF game, but I don't know if I have the fortitude. I hope I can get used to the graphics to find some redeeming qualities, but just trying to walk in a straight line on the world map is testing my patience. Where's the hidden gem in this pile of clutter?

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
1 week ago#2
In the words of Squall....whatever...

BEST Final Fantasy game of all-time...period!
(well, next to FFVII, that is.
TOP 5 consoles: 1. PS1 | 2. PS2 | 3. NES | 4. Genesis | 5. PS3
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 week ago#3
The improvement in the graphics they made clash horribly with the original backgrounds, but in the original, it is not something that will hurt your eyes.

As you said, the draw system is unnecessary.

All your other complains are grouped into the: "I brought this game without doing any research, and now I dont like it", wich is entirely your fault.

The game is 20 years old, if you didnt knew that the monsters scale with your active party, it is your fault.
[Your hair is winter, fire january embers,
my heart burns there too.]

RoboFish
1 week ago#4
sano83 posted...

All your other complains are grouped into the: "I brought this game without doing any research, and now I dont like it", wich is entirely your fault.

Well I liked everything else Square has ever made so I gave them the benefit of the doubt, something I'm not able to do anymore with a lot of companies like Bethesda. No wonder I never heard anyone talk about FF8 in 20 years. I don't think I've ever even seen anyone say they liked scaling enemies.

sano83
1 week ago#5
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...

Well I liked everything else Square has ever made so I gave them the benefit of the doubt, something I'm not able to do anymore with a lot of companies like Bethesda. No wonder I never heard anyone talk about FF8 in 20 years. I don't think I've ever even seen anyone say they liked scaling enemies.

I love enemy scaling, you can manipulate it so the enemy is the level you want it to be. And it cuts the need of having a crapload of monsters with the same desing but different colors.
If you havent heard anyone talk about Final Fantasy 8, you must have not been checking the forums of the latest final fantasy out there, since it is always mentioned.
Imagine if you buy a car from a company just because you had a few cars from the same company that you liked.

RoboFish
1 week ago#6
sano83 posted...
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...

Imagine if you buy a car from a company just because you had a few cars from the same company that you liked.

Yeah that's actually really common with a lot of brands and companies.

sano83
1 week ago#7
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...

And it is still your fault.
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...

FFVIII is actually not that hated; social media just wants you to believe it is because haters feel the need to voice their opinion while those whom love something tend to quietly do so. It's actually the third best-selling FF game to this day. That is far from being a "terrible" game.

Also, you're making your comparison based on the remaster alone, which is a bad way to go about it if you're talking graphics. Most of your complaints are about the controls and the appearance of the game, and very little about the gameplay with nothing regarding the story. So...you're not exactly making a solid argument here. If you go back and play the original, which can be found online at Amazon and such, you will find a lot of these "issues" are non-existent.

Drawing magic was actually used to make FFVIII different, yeah; it was an experiment that, honestly, most found to be a positive change in the franchise. It actually fits in with the storyline and setting of the game, as Drawing is a part of the junction system which ties directly to GF, which ultimately ties directly into the plot. Yeah, Drawing can be tedious... But once you learn the ability to refine magic, it becomes a thing of the past.

Also, you are, literally, the first person to complain about Triple Triad. That gets nothing but praise, even from critics. It's also a known fact by now that enemies level up with you; you see it plastered everywhere, even on Youtube videos -- and especially these forums.

Like the other poster said: sounds like you just didn't do your research. Google is your friend.
My signature does not define me. It is just a signature.
(edited 1 week ago)

RoboFish
1 week ago#9
sano83 posted...
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...

And it is still your fault.

And who's arguing against that? Of course it's my fault I bought the game blind. That doesn't change the fact that it's a terrible game. In fact, when I browse this forum it looks like hundreds of people have the same thoughts. You being a fanboy helps no one.

RoboFish
1 week ago#10
Dissidia_Crazed posted...
RoboFish posted...
sano83 posted...

If you go back and play the original, which can be found online at Amazon and such, you will find a lot of these "issues" are non-existent.

That is literally my point. This is a cheap, lazy cash grab while by everyone's accounts, the original is better.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. I don't get the hype. This game is awful.
  • Post New Message