• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Did Rinoa ever come off as a diet Tifa to you?(spoils)
sano83 posted...
Dissidia_Crazed posted...
sano83 posted...
In defense of Zidane, have you seen Garnet from behind?

Anyways, Garnet is supposed to be beautiful lorewise.
And, like I said, the growth of Zidane is represented in the begining of disk , when he is mopping in the tavern because he cant go to see Garnet.

Spoilers =P

lol. Yeah, I've seen -- and I actually like Garnet. She and Vivi were the only characters I liked in FFIX. Quina was weird, Amarant seemed stale, Freya...I was never into animal-human hybrids; Steiner was funny, but his character was solely centered around Garnet; Eiko was kind of annoying to me; and Beatrix was a total b**** -- I couldn't stand her.

I played IX, but never finished it. Maybe someday I will.

It is the best numbered game in the franchise, so I totally recommend it to you and everyone else.
But I can already tell you that we have different tastes. I love every character except Amarant, who I deem the worst character in the franchise. Not because he is particularly bad, but because he is there to divide the party in two 4 party members group, and that is all the reason he have to be in the game. There is no story element to him, other than an optional backstory to make Zidane look better, and one "development" scene, that happens and then he goes back to be exactly the same. Nothing.

I always thought he was just kind of there. Plus, I think he looks a little weird, too, lol.
My signature does not define me. It is just a signature.

User Info: sano83

sano83
4 weeks ago#32
I always thought he was just kind of there. Plus, I think he looks a little weird, too, lol.

That thing that looks like an oversized bike helmet is actually his hair.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]
sano83 posted...

That thing that looks like an oversized bike helmet is actually his hair.

LOL. Yeah, it took me some time to figure that out.

User Info: TaijutsuJoshua

TaijutsuJoshua
4 weeks ago#34
grrliz posted...
I thought Rinoa came across as a very realistic teenage girl, for good and bad. I liked her.

Tifa is a bit older, and seems to have more world experience. Tifa's seen hard times, Rinoa hasn't. That was even a plot point during the game, how Rinoa's innocence and lack of battle experience made her seem like an outsider. I like both characters, but I think they are pretty different.

I agree with this.
I love the Final Fantasy games. I despise the fanbase.
3DS FC: 4871-3749-9558
Aside from a physical appearance, the two really aren't that alike.

Also, people mock Rinoa in favor of Tifa...but then you realize that Tifa's AC outfit was clearly inspired by Rinoa's, which came first.

User Info: Zed7777ZR1

Zed7777ZR1
4 weeks ago#36
People talking about characters as if they're sentient, when they're nothing but a device for the developer to deliver whatever story they thought up first.

Most games have this problem, where the main storyline is created first, then the characters are designed to conform to said storyline. rarely would they build a story around a characters.

This is why most 'backstories' are simple or flatout idiotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfIagECm6BI updated 09/04/2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHLq6nHQmk Apex Legends - Here come the warriors by Unsecret

User Info: Tatunen08

Tatunen08
3 weeks ago#37
Zed7777ZR1 posted...
Alarei posted...
Zed7777ZR1 posted...
To me, the only thing I liked about Tifa was the slapping mini-game.

Otherwise, just another FF eye candy.

So you basically like Tifa for the same reasons that everyone likes Tifa lol.

Yeah ... Is there any other reason?

Her......... uhhhhh........ personality?
I was too lazy to make a signature.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
3 weeks ago#38
I don’t see the comparison...

Tifa is more sensitive and bottles things up (almost kinda like Squall), she’s a humble but tough small town girl, and despite asking Cloud to be her hero as a child, she actually ends up being far more protective of him.

Meanwhile Rinoa is far more open and spunky, she’s a wealthy city girl, and she needs much more protection from Squall.

The main similarity however is how Tifa leaves home and becomes and environmental terrorist and Rinoa leaves home and joins an anarchist faction. But aside from their radical leftist politics, they’re very different people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
3 weeks ago#39
BrosukeHanamura posted...
On one hand I didn't like her for any reasons.

1. I did not see the charm others characters saw in her.
2. She dated Seifer. The biggest ass*** in the game.
3. Her weapon pissed me off. Like what the f***. Everyone else has weapons and martial arts skills and she's using a NERF frisbee!
4. I felt Quistis was superior and wanted the game to do a 180 and have her get with Squall who seemed to fit him more.

I feel once I play it again things may change as I was younger but who knows?

Anyone else have trouble warming to Rinoa?

1. I easily saw it.
2. Irrelevant. All indications are it was a brief fling, nothing more.
3. Irrelevant.
4. Subjective, but I consider Quistis far inferior. Pesters Squall, abuses her authority, does exactly what she previously excoriated Seifer for doing, with less justification. Gotta wonder why you hoped for a 180, since Squall's relationship with Rinoa is literally the main point of the story, as shown in the intro cut scene (and the freakin' logo, for that matter).

"Diet Tifa"? Not even close.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: Uncle_biggs23

Uncle_biggs23
3 weeks ago#40
I’ve always felt that Rinoa was a combination of Tifa and Aeris; Tifa’s general looks with Aeris’ personality. She was very outgoing and flirtatious throughout the game like Aeris, and had an outward aesthetic that kinda resembled Tifa (although as time went on you could argue that Tifa started to look more like Rinoa, considering that Advent Children outfit).
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  3. Did Rinoa ever come off as a diet Tifa to you?(spoils)
  • Post New Message