• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Arise
  3. Subjective opinion from a "legacy" Tales gamer

User Info: Shredded2020

Shredded2020
2 months ago#1
The "Tales Of" series drew in many fans due to the following specially unique qualities it brought to the JRPG genre:

- Content
-Combat
- Customization

This Tales falls short on content and customization....your thoughts? For the reasons mentioned above, Graces F still reigns supreme as the top Tales game.

User Info: fan_of_butt

fan_of_butt
2 months ago#2
Not every game needs to be 300 hours across like 7 playthroughs. I got a chonky 90 hour experience out of going for the platinum on moderate, with far less padding than most Tales games. There's nothing good about content for content's sake. I don't get what's up with GameFAQs obsession with just constantly complaining about literally everything. The game's not perfect but damn, I can't remember the last time I saw a board where most of the talk about a game here was positive.

User Info: Mightymega

Mightymega
2 months ago#3
If content is what you wanted overall vesperia is the top game, and even hearts R I think beats it as well. but I do agree with the content part. customization is pretty good here with the way titles work and the equipment system.
Westerners have lower standards and less understanding of what makes good characters and story-NovaWill

User Info: YoukaiSlayer

YoukaiSlayer
2 months ago#4
I definitely don't feel like customization was a huge draw to the series and content is so vague as to be meaningless. I mean, the entire game is content, so is every game. Do you mean the amount of content? It's quality? It's type (minigames, or side quests, or exploration, or story, or combat challenges, etc)?

You can customize your playstyle here probably more than in most previous games and every character generally has at least 2 very strong playstyles.

I'd probably say the main draws of the series are characters and action combat, The stories are frequently bad and even the games with a world map are fairly linear.
I'm ninja
(you can't see me)

User Info: Kid_Gilgamesh

Kid_Gilgamesh
2 months ago#5
yeah i'm just here for the characters and combat, which graces f completely fails at
local shionne simp

Shredded2020
2 months ago#6
fan_of_butt posted...
Not every game needs to be 300 hours across like 7 playthroughs. I got a chonky 90 hour experience out of going for the platinum on moderate, with far less padding than most Tales games. There's nothing good about content for content's sake. I don't get what's up with GameFAQs obsession with just constantly complaining about literally everything. The game's not perfect but damn, I can't remember the last time I saw a board where most of the talk about a game here was positive.

You make valid, modern gamer points, and I appreciate it. I never said the game was bad, just lacking in what I stated.

User Info: PMDAlicia

PMDAlicia
2 months ago#7
I had 50 hours in main story, that's enough content for me, I don't think it's missing out on content to such a degree I'd say it underdelivered.

It's no Abyss or Vesperia, but it's fine, a nice appetizer.

Combat is pretty great, I don't think it hits the highs that Vesperia or Destiny DC (I haven't played Graces F yet, I'll get to it eventually when I find the time), but it's fun enough.

Customization is, like, fine? I definitely think they needed more accessories and costumes, but the ones you get are fine enough? Definitely not the best of the series tho.

Shredded2020
2 months ago#8
YoukaiSlayer posted...
I definitely don't feel like customization was a huge draw to the series and content is so vague as to be meaningless. I mean, the entire game is content, so is every game. Do you mean the amount of content? It's quality? It's type (minigames, or side quests, or exploration, or story, or combat challenges, etc)?

You can customize your playstyle here probably more than in most previous games and every character generally has at least 2 very strong playstyles.

I'd probably say the main draws of the series are characters and action combat, The stories are frequently bad and even the games with a world map are fairly linear.

Respect your feedback here, I don't disagree entirely.

User Info: Snakebone99

Snakebone99
2 months ago#9
As a long time veteran of the series, what defines Tales of to me is:

Action Combat
Large cast of interesting characters
Skits

I don't really remember much customization, and the extra content was super hidden and impossible to find, until recently.

Shredded2020
2 months ago#10
Mightymega posted...
If content is what you wanted overall vesperia is the top game, and even hearts R I think beats it as well. but I do agree with the content part. customization is pretty good here with the way titles work and the equipment system.

Vesperia was fantastic in respect to the overall I mentioned....thanks for sharing.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Arise
  3. Subjective opinion from a "legacy" Tales gamer
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A