• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: kyle9431oilers

kyle9431oilers
11 months ago#1
I get nostalgia and whatnot but once that goes away it's a bland platformer with not much going on. People who compared the original to Mario 64 and Banjo was going alittle overboard.

User Info: ShinWesker

ShinWesker
11 months ago#2
It's ok.

I mean, this game didn't have many 3D platforms and most new games just suck like FF7 Remake. So, having this game felt like fresh air.
I can still unlock characters in Tekken 3 without being online or needing patches or buying DLC.

User Info: BatCom

BatCom
11 months ago#3
I agree I’ve never really understood all the hype for this game. I think it’s mostly because it’s a rare example of a good licensed game (especially back during that era) and because it really nailed the SpongeBob setting really well.

User Info: Vitrescent

Vitrescent
11 months ago#4
I also agree. I love Spongebob and bought into the hype thinking the original was great. Never played the original myself but I constantly heard people saying how it’s up there with the greats. Platinumed Rehydrated and it was a miserable experience. I’d say the first few worlds are pretty good but the game’s quality just drops off a cliff. Worlds like the Mermalair and Kelp Forest have incredibly wonky mechanics. Stuff like the spinning wheels you need to hit with the bubble are very unresponsive. Enemies are also have crap detection. The robot cowboy requires you to hit it 3 times but you can’t even hit the thing while it’s moving for some reason.

The whole game itself is unpolished as hell. Many visual glitches and sometimes the objectives would glitch out. Death is abrupt and the transition to the loading screen takes you out of the experience with how awkward it is. Why their are so many loading screens is also perplexing... game ain’t that much of a looker.

I haven’t even gotten to the poor level design. There’s a lack of precision in that lots of areas feel cluttered with unnecessary enemies or are just not laid out in a good manner. I think I have a poorer opinion because I’ve been playing through the Spyro games along Spongebob and those games are just infinitely better.
Nintendo Account FC (Switch): SW-3435-2431-3723
PSN: AntooPS

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
11 months ago#5
This game is really buggy and unresponsive compared the PS2 version. A lot of enemies' speed are nerfed and feel too slow compared to your speed, the collision detection is weird, and the constant loading screen hindered the experience of the game.

Also, the latter levels feels less polished than the earlier ones.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: Takuto_Shindou

Takuto_Shindou
11 months ago#6
It's made by fans for fans, if you didn't grow up with the original BFBB and/or love Spongebob in any form, the game won't do anything for you.

Spongebob Squarepants The Movie is the better game for anyone else.
When I see a butterfly gently fluttering around
I stop and I think how before it had wings it was a caterpillar crawling on the ground

User Info: Gatestoyourface

Gatestoyourface
11 months ago#7
Vitrescent posted...
I also agree. I love Spongebob and bought into the hype thinking the original was great. Never played the original myself but I constantly heard people saying how it’s up there with the greats. Platinumed Rehydrated and it was a miserable experience. I’d say the first few worlds are pretty good but the game’s quality just drops off a cliff. Worlds like the Mermalair and Kelp Forest have incredibly wonky mechanics. Stuff like the spinning wheels you need to hit with the bubble are very unresponsive. Enemies are also have crap detection. The robot cowboy requires you to hit it 3 times but you can’t even hit the thing while it’s moving for some reason.

The whole game itself is unpolished as hell. Many visual glitches and sometimes the objectives would glitch out. Death is abrupt and the transition to the loading screen takes you out of the experience with how awkward it is. Why their are so many loading screens is also perplexing... game ain’t that much of a looker.

I haven’t even gotten to the poor level design. There’s a lack of precision in that lots of areas feel cluttered with unnecessary enemies or are just not laid out in a good manner. I think I have a poorer opinion because I’ve been playing through the Spyro games along Spongebob and those games are just infinitely better.
Perhaps you should've played the original first. Many of the issues you mentioned are present in the original, such as awkward enemy placement, the spinning wheels, and such. People are complaining about some glitches spatulas, socks and whatnot; that I can agree with. But there is a certain charm to the partial lack of polish the original had; something that kept the game alive just barely enough to warrant a remake. I'd imagine many would be upset if their out-of-bounds glitches were all patched.
But time is of the essence, why spend it alone, huh?

User Info: ssjmatthew

ssjmatthew
11 months ago#8
I sadly have to agree, I played the ps2 version and didn't stick with it past goo lagoon, I figured it was because I was young and moved on to something else quickly.

Watched supermega play through it, I wanted to give it another chance so I bought the remaster.

It's fun in bursts, when you don't have anything else to play, but, I lose interest quickly, in comparison to the 8 plus hour marathons I was having with TLOU2, I barely play this for a half hour at a pop, collect a spatula, turn it off.

Eh, my kids are loving the co op mode though so it was worth it.
If a girl sleeps with a bunch of guys she's a slut, but if a guy does the exact same thing.........he's gay, definitely gay.

User Info: folklorenfables

folklorenfables
10 months ago#9
Vitrescent posted...

Literally couldn't have said it better
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A