• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. Do Surge Protectors protect PS5 from being damged in a power outage?

User Info: cloud_8f8f

cloud_8f8f
1 month ago#1
I ask this, because I had a major issue with this on PS4. I had 5 or 6 seperate occasions where the power would go out while playing a game. Luckily, it survived all of them without issue.

The power company where I live is very unreliable and the power has been known to go out even during clear sunny days.

So my question is, do surge protectors prevent damage to a console even if the power supply is interrupted?

I really don't want this happening to my PS5 that I paid $700+ for.
Playing: Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS5), Demon's Souls (PS5), Bravely Default II (NS)
Awaiting: TBA

User Info: tfc87ja

tfc87ja
1 month ago#2
yes, make sure you get an actual surge protector and not a power strip.

surg protectors protect electronics from power spikes when electricity is turned back on. power strips just let you connect multiple things to one outlet with no protection
FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/4384050/
PSN/XBL: tfc87ja; SWITCH: SW-1698-3369-8483

User Info: AmIAwake

AmIAwake
1 month ago#3
So, you mean if a burst of electricity goes thru a surge protector that is functioning, plugged but on OFF setting (with all consoles hooked) protect the consoles from the burst and damage caused by it? On this case, it depends on the surge protector. Mine, yes. But again i paid too much for it because i'm a sucker for shiny.

The problem is not the power going out itself.
Died a few times, eternity and emotions do not mix.

cloud_8f8f
1 month ago#4
tfc87ja posted...
yes, make sure you get an actual surge protector and not a power strip.

surg protectors protect electronics from power spikes when electricity is turned back on. power strips just let you connect multiple things to one outlet with no protection

Right, I guess I'm not really talking about power spikes, but just interrupted power when the console is on.
Playing: Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS5), Demon's Souls (PS5), Bravely Default II (NS)

User Info: MadDewg

MadDewg
1 month ago#5
Definitely don't try to use a aging one like I did. My block got hit with a temporary power outage a few days ago....my PS5 happened to be on the dashboard editing a gallery clip. The power was out for about 20 minutes...after the power returned and I cut my PS5 back on, the firmware apparently got borked and I had no choice but to go with option 6 in safe mode to get the PS5 to run normally again. (Which is a complete and total reset of everything besides the base system firmware). I got all my saves back no problem since I usually make sure all that is up to date, but all my trophy screenshots and random clips I saved since launch day until a few days ago went up in smoke.

I ordered a newer surge protector asap.
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg NNID:xMadDoggx I bet my left nut on bloodstained ritual of the night being awesome...I like my left nut IGA, come through for me.

User Info: djwagon

djwagon
1 month ago#6
lets put this way they will save you.

i have all my systems hooked up to a battery back-up surge protector..the only thing you really need to remember is YOU are following thier manual and NOT USING one .if you send it in

there is no test in the world that will tell sony you used one
I am voicing my view and opinion on how i see the subject.if you do not like that .please explain it so i can understand it

cloud_8f8f
1 month ago#7
djwagon posted...
lets put this way they will save you.

i have all my systems hooked up to a battery back-up surge protector..the only thing you really need to remember is YOU are following thier manual and NOT USING one .if you send it in

there is no test in the world that will tell sony you used one

Why would they tell you not to use one?

User Info: djwagon

djwagon
1 month ago#8
cloud_8f8f posted...

Why would they tell you not to use one?

if i remember correctly at this moment .they say it will cut down on the power going to the system and it already has a internal one.so waste your money.

they want you to plug it into the wall directly
I am voicing my view and opinion on how i see the subject.if you do not like that .please explain it so i can understand it

User Info: doodles40

doodles40
1 month ago#9
I use one of these-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZR9DSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves.

cloud_8f8f
1 month ago#10
I went to Home Depot and couldn't find one with UPS, so I got this one:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/3/7/3/AAXHpSAABjs1.jpg

Is this one good?
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. Do Surge Protectors protect PS5 from being damged in a power outage?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A