• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. How long after launch did it take for the PS4 to become a "must buy?"

User Info: T_Info

T_Info
1 month ago#1
I'm still planning to get a PS5 eventually. But with each week that goes by, there's another delay announcement, cross-gen PS4/PS5 confirmation, or acknowledgement that a PS5 title will also release simultaneously on PC. The PS5 might be a hot item, but it has yet to become a must buy (at least to me).

Naturally, a similar thing happened to the PS4...and then it went on to become one of the best consoles of all time with some of the best exclusives ever. That said, I didn't personally get my PS4 until 2019.

So for those who were there since near the beginning of the PS4, how long did it take to actually amass a solid library of exclusives? When was the "break point" where it was clear you had to have a PS4? (I'm trying to get an idea of when the same thing will happen for the PS5, if history is any guide.)

User Info: Magog

Magog
1 month ago#2
Day one. You're already missing out on great games on PS5 and playing cross gen games with better frame rates and resolution. What do you gain by waiting? In two years maybe they lower the price by $100? Is that really worth playing inferior versions of games for 2 years?

User Info: ArsenicSteel

ArsenicSteel
1 month ago#3
How long after launch did it take for the PS4 to become a "must buy?"

Isn't that a question you ask yourself?
It's geeks who really make or break a TV show or movie or videogame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHj2slKBF98

T_Info
1 month ago#4
Magog posted...
Day one. You're already missing out on great games on PS5 and playing cross gen games with better frame rates and resolution. What do you gain by waiting? In two years maybe they lower the price by $100? Is that really worth playing inferior versions of games for 2 years?

It's a fair point, but it's still a bit of a headache to get a PS5. If it were as simple as walking into Target or clicking a few buttons on Amazon, I'd consider buying right now. But I feel very little motivation to try to beat the bots or set up a dozen alerts when Demon's Souls is just about the only awesome-looking exclusive thus far.

User Info: juker79

juker79
1 month ago#5
T_Info posted...
It's a fair point, but it's still a bit of a headache to get a PS5. If it were as simple as walking into Target or clicking a few buttons on Amazon, I'd consider buying right now. But I feel very little motivation to try to beat the bots or set up a dozen alerts when Demon's Souls is just about the only awesome-looking exclusive thus far.

Then I think the answer you are looking for is: When it becomes available in stores to buy, hassle-free.
Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a **** how crazy they are!

User Info: OhGoodGrief

OhGoodGrief
1 month ago#6
looking back on it ps4 f***ing sucks.
so many great games and none of them ran properly. It was such and awkward gen full of compromises.

ps5 runs them properly. None of this stuttering fluctualting FPS bulls***.

User Info: ManicSMN

ManicSMN
1 month ago#7
I bought a PS4 at launch and will admit the library was pretty lacking for my taste in games for the first several months. I only had NBA 2k14 to play with friends, other than that I stuck with my PS3 until Infamous Second Son was released.

Personally, I would have been fine waiting until the release of Final Fantasy XIV on the PS4. Once that was released the system was a must own for me.

PS5 was a day one must buy for me because my launch PS4 stopped reading discs in October this past year, so I could either fix/replace it or get a PS5. Didn't make much sense to fix or replace the PS4. With backwards compatibility with PS4 games and how much better they play on the PS5, if you don't have the PS4 Pro already then the PS5 is already a must buy.
FFXIV Lodestone: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/4556715/

User Info: MadDewg

MadDewg
1 month ago#8
For me personally, I didn't think the PS4 was worth getting at launch, and I still had plenty of PS3 and 360 games to play. I decided it was time to get a PS4 right when dying light came out, and both GTA 5 and diablo 3 PS4 ports where about to release (that, and the PS4 came bundled with the last of us remaster). From there, I caught up on some of the indie game and rpg releases that was out on the PS4 at the time.

The PS5 is an entirely different ballgame though....it has damn near complete backwards compatibility, and practically every single PS4 game it plays makes it run way better than the PS4 pro could...to me, this alone is very much worth owning a PS5 for. Because of the BC, waiting imo is absolutely pointless since you still have the vast PS4 library to play WHILE you wait for the actual PS5 games to release. *Although with the restock situation being what it is, its understandable waiting since there is no choice besides paying scalpers for a console*
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg NNID:xMadDoggx I bet my left nut on bloodstained ritual of the night being awesome...I like my left nut IGA, come through for me.

T_Info
1 month ago#9
Some good points here about backwards compatibility. Honestly, if they someone upped Bloodborne to 60 FPS on PS5 that would be enough for me to brave the bots and try to grab one sooner.

User Info: Iokua

Iokua
1 month ago#10
About three years. This generation is different though since it's far more transitional due to the fairly minimal leap in the technological capabilities of the now current gen consoles compared to the previous generational changes. There are a lot of basic architectural similarities and as a result it's a lot easier for developers and publishers to just scale up. It makes the transition smoother and the new generation easier to justify early on.
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. How long after launch did it take for the PS4 to become a "must buy?"
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A