• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. How to calculate the PS5's Teraflops

User Info: KinjoTakemura

KinjoTakemura
2 weeks ago#1
This thread is for those of you who keep saying that the PS5 has been overclocked to 10TF. If you understand how Teraflops are calculated using the EXISTING SPECS, then you would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the PS5 has not been overclocked. Some of you don't even know what overclocked means.

GPU Specs

36 compute units with 64 shaders at 2.23Ghz

36 cu x 64 x 2230mhz = 5,137,920 flops x 2 = 10.23 TF

The same formula applies to the Xbox Series X. If the PS5 was overclocked the solution would be higher than 10TF.
PSN/Steam Sh1kage - Borderlands The Handsome Collection, Vanquish, Remnant: From The Ashes, Visage, The Last of Us 2, GT Sport, Diablo 3 ROS
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: PlayerIntensity

PlayerIntensity
2 weeks ago#2
Can't believe this topic has been here 2 hours and no Xbox fanboys have come in crying yet!
I will become a veteran user at the end of July! Yay me

KinjoTakemura
2 weeks ago#3
PlayerIntensity posted...
Can't believe this topic has been here 2 hours and no Xbox fanboys have come in crying yet!

Because they know all of that "overclocked" bulls*** is going to come to an end. Anyone who encounters these clueless fanboys should use this.

The only way that this 10TF number will change is if the specs change. So every time one those know nothing fanboys says 8TF overclocked to 10TF ask them to cite anything that says Sony changed the specs of the PS5. Ask them to explain their delusional theory by telling us what frequency the PS5 was running at before it was supposedly overclocked to 10TF. Ask them if the PS5 wasn't running originally at 2.23Ghz then what was the original clock speed?

Their f***ing brains will melt while trying to figure it out.

PSN/Steam Sh1kage - Borderlands The Handsome Collection, Vanquish, Remnant: From The Ashes, Visage, The Last of Us 2, GT Sport, Diablo 3 ROS

User Info: Unrepentant

Unrepentant
2 weeks ago#4
I'm not sure you understand what overclocking is.

I'm not saying the ps5 GPU is overclocked, It's not, but nothing you've said proves that.

Overclocking is running at a higher clock speed than a manufacturer intended (certified) a device to run. Obviously that is not happening here.

People are perhaps mixing up overclocking and having a variable power distribution (smartshift). At times the GPU will be running at a higher clock speed (resulting in 10tflops) and at times a lower clock speed.

We still don't know if power distribution will be entirely based on workload or if there will be thermal throttling.

I feel like Sony really hasn't released the specs in full for the ps5 and we might have to wait until after it releases to get certain answers.

KinjoTakemura
2 weeks ago#5
Unrepentant posted...
I'm not sure you understand what overclocking is.

I'm not saying the ps5 GPU is overclocked, It's not, but nothing you've said proves that.

Overclocking is running at a higher clock speed than a manufacturer intended (certified) a device to run. Obviously that is not happening here.

People are perhaps mixing up overclocking and having a variable power distribution (smartshift). At times the GPU will be running at a higher clock speed (resulting in 10tflops) and at times a lower clock speed.

We still don't know if power distribution will be entirely based on workload or if there will be thermal throttling.

I feel like Sony really hasn't released the specs in full for the ps5 and we might have to wait until after it releases to get certain answers.

I already know what overclocked is. Anyone who says the PS5 is overclocked from 8 or 9 teraflops doesn't know what it is and most of the people saying that stupid s*** are Xbox fanboys.

If the the PS5 was overclocked it would be overclocked from 2.23Ghz not some imaginary number made up by some random idiot on the internet.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: MemberBerry

MemberBerry
2 weeks ago#6
Tc it seems like your life sucks?

KinjoTakemura
2 weeks ago#7
MemberBerry posted...
Tc it seems like your life sucks?
Maybe, but at least Im smart enough to know what a f***ing teraflop is and I know that it isn't a f***ing thermometer as some of you seem to think.

User Info: Board_hunter567

Board_hunter567
2 weeks ago#8
The XSX and PS5 will share similar GPU (and CPU) designs the way the PS4 and XB1 did. So when somebody says that the PS5 GPU is overclocked they probably mean in relation to the clock speeds of the XSX GPU which is fixed at a lower 1.825 GHz while the one in the PS5 has a variable frequency that caps at 2.23 GHz.

When it comes right down to it the PS5 GPU will need to work harder to match the one in the XSX, if it can even match it at all. Chances are the XSX will objectively have better visuals and performance in some or many cases but it won't be that big or significant a deal in the long run, a few pixels here and there or a dropped frame or two. There's no reason to bend over backwards to try and spin it when most won't care or notice and is completely irrelevant when it comes to exclusives.
http://i.imgur.com/szMsu.png
Validate your purchases and discredit the purchases of others whenever possible. Numbers objectively define quality and enjoyment.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

KinjoTakemura
2 weeks ago#9
Board_hunter567 posted...
The XSX and PS5 will share similar GPU (and CPU) designs the way the PS4 and XB1 did. So when somebody says that the PS5 GPU is overclocked they probably mean in relation to the clock speeds of the XSX GPU which is fixed at a lower 1.825 GHz while the one in the PS5 has a variable frequency that caps at 2.23 GHz.

When it comes right down to it the PS5 GPU will need to work harder to match the one in the XSX, if it can even match it at all. Chances are the XSX will objectively have better visuals and performance in some or many cases but it won't be that big or significant a deal in the long run, a few pixels here and there or a dropped frame or two. There's no reason to bend over backwards to try and spin it when most won't care or notice and is completely irrelevant when it comes to exclusives.

The clockspeeds of the PS5 will negate SOME of the hardware gap with the Series X. In terms of performance gains between the machines, I don't think you're going to see what you're expecting to see. Look at PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X.

The teraflop difference is similar, but no one seems to notice. Have you seen very many comparison videos between PS4 Pro games and Xbox One X games? I haven't.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

KinjoTakemura
2 weeks ago#10
Here's Shadow of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro, One X, and PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iYa3QOiuqw

You can expect similar results with Series X and PS5.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. How to calculate the PS5's Teraflops
  • Post New Message