• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. Something I dont understand about the SSD

User Info: InfernoSD

InfernoSD
2 months ago#1
To take advantage of the SSD, the game has to be loaded onto it, right? But if PS5 games are being designed around the capabilities of the SSD, does that leave them unplayable if they're on the hard drive? Doesn't that effectively mean that every PS5 game is going to have to fit on to the SSD?

Basically what's the point of even having a normal hard drive at that point, except maybe to hold some PS4 games or multiplatform titles that don't take advantage of the SSD. And what is the user supposed to do - keep playing musical chairs moving different games on to the SSD as they want to play them? Knowing how software sizes balloon every generation, I assume you will only be able to fit around four games in 800 GB.

User Info: DanGlynnJohnson

DanGlynnJohnson
2 months ago#2
If the PS4's abysmal OS is anything to go by then the implementation of SSD in the PS5 is as much about the operating system as it is about the installation of games.

Ever since the Pro was released, I've been using a solid-state drive in concert with a platter-based external HDD. If I were to guess, I'd posit that that particular arrangement is going to be the bedrock of many a PS5 gamer's experience next gen.

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
2 months ago#3
InfernoSD posted...
Basically what's the point of even having a normal hard drive at that point
Ideally, something like AMD StorageMI would be used to transfer data between the slower hard drive and the ssd. As it is, a normal hard drive could be used to free up storage on the SSD by copying finished older games off the SSD. This could allow the in future the opportunity to replay the game without the need to re-install.

I think you are right in thinking the ps5 games ( that have been written to take advantage of the SSD) would only be playable on the SSD.

Saying that, there is no reason why a person would not want to store all their PlayStation 4 games on an external HDD.

As a note, Sony did mention something about the ability to add a nvme drive to the system, and thus increasing the storage this way. I do not know the details regarding this, but they did mention that they are planning to release a list of supported drives.
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.

User Info: cougre

cougre
2 months ago#4
Why copy "older finished games" off anywhere? If you're done with it just delete it.

If for some strange reason you get an urge to play it somewhere down the road then just re-download it.

To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. - Mark Twain, 1868

User Info: siarhei

siarhei
2 months ago#5
robert43s posted...
ps5 games ( that have been written to take advantage of the SSD) would only be playable on the SSD.

This

User Info: InfernoSD

InfernoSD
2 months ago#6
cougre posted...
Why copy "older finished games" off anywhere? If you're done with it just delete it.

If for some strange reason you get an urge to play it somewhere down the road then just re-download it.
I play a lot of games. Some games I can finish and let go of, but there might be ten other games I intend to come back to at any given time.

Most games are now built for updates and new content, so you're intended to keep playing periodically for 1 or more years. This 800 GB plan doesn't seem like it fits with the current landscape.

User Info: pnut027

pnut027
2 months ago#7
I have a TB Pro and I delete games without a second thought. If I want to play a game I've already finished, I just redownload it. My PS4 is wired to the internet, so it's not a big deal at all.
Eat the Boomers

User Info: jairusmonillas

jairusmonillas
1 month ago#8
Starting with PS5 you don't have to full install every game you own, PS5 will allow you to pick like install only the single player part of the game and exclude multiplayer part and so on.
Battlenet:JairusMonill#1876,Steam/Epic:JairusMonillas,PSN:JairusMonillasR3
Playing:Fortnite,NBA2k20,GTsport,GTAV,BF5,BlackDesert,COD MW 2019 Waiting:FF7R, PS5
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 5
  3. Something I dont understand about the SSD
  • Topic Archived