• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
  3. How bad is the microtransaction?

User Info: blood_n_gore

blood_n_gore
1 month ago#21
Microprosefan posted...
I can live with in-game transactions if they are only cosmetic, but these are not, it's pure 100% pay to win.

To preface, I have not spent a second in the game store, since I only play single player, and there is never a reason to visit the store for a single player experience. So, I don’t know exactly what is for sale, but I am familiar with ubisofts micro transaction model.

First, PvE? How so? Top tier equipment and xp boosts do not guarantee that you’ll beat the game... also, if somebody wants to waste money on these for a single player experience, that’s their problem, not yours... there’s nothing about that model that should affect your gaming satisfaction, since you should have a complete experience... you just might not be able to wear that stupid flashy camo sand gold gun skin that can only be purchased.

Second, PvP? like most PvP modes, twitch speed is more important than your gear. Additionally, win? Win what? There’s nothing at stake... if there was real money or tangible prizes, I’d understand your view

User Info: Gunvalkyrie2

Gunvalkyrie2
1 month ago#22
RetroMasterRace posted...
EightySix22 posted...
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
wolfwing posted...
this is going to be battlefront 2 all over again, people complain about the MTX they change them before release, then people late to the party are like, "Whats all the complaining about."

the level and quanity and type of stuff they were selling should NEVER be acceptable, yeah lets charge you 60$'s for a game, then charge you money to not play said game YAY!

You DONT HAVE TO BUY IT

The mantra of the corporate slave.

He's not wrong, though.

Maybe, but why should we be ok with $60 mobile games? I mean, these companies wouldn't put these MTX in if they didn't intend for people to buy them. You can say you ignore them, say you don't buy them, good for you. You're not the target audience for these practices. The whales are and can be easily manipulated and enticed into spending more via balancing by designing the grind to be just tedious enough to make paying to skip it an appealing option. You might think "well, that's on them, it's their dumbass fault for getting addicted." That kind of "f*** you, got mine" attitude is counterproductive and is a huge reason why AAA gaming is at the peak of absurdity it is today where the only thing separating AAA games and mobile games is a $60 price tag. We could all stand to show a little empathy and understand the bigger picture of how others' "choices" affect the industry as a whole. It's been shown that companies hire behavioral psychologists to devise strategies to specifically entice vulnerable people into spending more.

This video probably gets mentioned to death, but I can't recommend it enough. You have to watch the "Let's Go Whaling!" presentation to really understand just how intentionally manipulative this junk can get. Recent games like God of War, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. show that you don't need excessive and manipulative monetization to be decently or even overwhelmingly profitable. You just have to produce a good game that a ton of people will like and has enough if not more than enough content to keep them engaged for as long as possible.

I think this whole "live service" trend much like the BR trend needs to be dropped like a bad habit because only one company *cough*Nintendo*cough* has been proven to implement the concept fairly with the only monetization being a substantial DLC expansion pack (and Nintendo Online, which I can't stand the principle of paying for online MP on consoles, but we lost that battle and that's a topic for another time.) Nintendo has it's own problems with greed as demonstrated by Mario Kart Tour and they should rightly be called out for it. Luckily Nintendo's issues with greed and excessive monetization have mostly stayed quarantined to mobile, but that's a topic for another day.

Games were fine before excessive monetization, they can be fine again without it afterwards. That's what we should be pushing for. More Shivering Isles and less horse armor. A return to complete games you only have to pay for once without worrying about which edition to buy, and additional fair monetization via substantial Blood and Wine style DLC expansion packs is what we should strive for. If we as consumers don't unite and do something to stem the tide, the government eventually will. None of us want that.

You MUST have voted for Hillary. Waah waah people are buying things I don’t approve of!!

Leave people ALONE.
#BanBlobboyendings
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Virobot

Virobot
1 month ago#23
I feel less inclined to buy microtransactions here than in Wildlands. I can't really explain why, I just browsed the store, thought it was overpriced, and went back to the game to grind drops. As a long time Diablo fan, buying drops just doesn't seem right. And the cosmetics I have on right now are fine, my character looks like he belongs in the story, so I wouldn't change him up now. Plus, even crappy guns are great if you get headshots.
PSN/Steam:Jareski ||||| Xbox Live: Jareski007
Unofficial PSVR board: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1327-playstation-vr

User Info: CookSven

CookSven
1 month ago#24
12hrs in the game so far, I've found absolutely no reason to buy anything in the store except a few store exclusive cosmetic items which I find kinda nice but will never spend a dime for.
Ubisoft just go full (re)mustard on this one. This kind of greedy behavior is disgusting.
For the past two years, I thought Ubisoft had been improving and gave them a lot of praise, and this is disappointing.
(edited 1 month ago)
@Gunvalkyrie2

Are you f***ing serious right now? That entire well-written message about standing up to all this before the government does something and all you got from that was that I supposedly voted for Hillary and am somehow angry people are buying things I don't like? Like did you even READ it all? I seriously can't tell if you're actually that much of corporate slave or just trolling. Like did you start gaming last gen? Do you like not remember a time when games were complete and you only paid for them once? What is going through that head of yours right now? and WTF does Hillary or whoever I voted for have to do with anything? That line seems to suggest you just discovered what trolling is, yet have no clue how to pull off an effective execution of it.
Humans are nothing more than profitable dirt for giant corporations to trample over for the almighty shareholders. Hail Corporate!

User Info: Gunvalkyrie2

Gunvalkyrie2
1 month ago#26
@Gunvalkyrie2

Are you f***ing serious right now? That entire well-written message about standing up to all this before the government does something and all you got from that was that I supposedly voted for Hillary and am somehow angry people are buying things I don't like? Like did you even READ it all? I seriously can't tell if you're actually that much of corporate slave or just trolling. Like did you start gaming last gen? Do you like not remember a time when games were complete and you only paid for them once? What is going through that head of yours right now? and WTF does Hillary or whoever I voted for have to do with anything? That line seems to suggest you just discovered what trolling is, yet have no clue how to pull off an effective execution of it.

Definitely serious. If you don’t like micros don’t buy them and stop WHINING.
Just bought a car… I bought the base model… Should I cry to the dealership because this make has upgrades that I didn’t want to spend money on?

And it wasn’t well written. It’s a sob story.
#BanBlobboyendings
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Velvet__Crowe

Velvet__Crowe
1 month ago#27
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
@Gunvalkyrie2

Just bought a car… I bought the base model… Should I cry to the dealership because this make has upgrades that I didn’t want to spend money on?

That’s not even close to the same thing.

Your car’s options are physical bits and bobs that cost money to manufacture and install.

The MTX in Breakpoint are digital items, that don’t cost anything to make and distribute. They were finished at the time of launch, and should have been included in the package we all bought. But were instead withheld to sell back to us one piece at a time.

I don’t have a problem with people buying the MTX if they reeaally want. I have a problem with them being there in the first place, in a game that already costs $60 USD/$80 CAD (and up).

I’m a school aged girl. I don’t need to be 30 to know that it used to be that when you walked into a store and put your money down, you took home the WHOLE game. I have my dad’s stories about gaming that was for that. It’s only been inside my lifetime that this bulls*** has become common practice, and apologists like you give these companies zero incentive to stop. Ubisoft doesn’t see our complaints about this stuff. They see the jackasses making excuses on their behalf, so they don’t have to make them themselves.
"I'd thank the gods, but you seem to be taking them out at an alarming rate." - Hargan, Sarn Encampment
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
@Gunvalkyrie2

Alright, I should have known better than to try and reason with corporate slaves. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read your posts. I'm going to spare my precious brain cells from further damage. Goodbye, and have fun with your overmonetized f2p mobile normie games disquised as $60 AAA games. You go ahead and keep whining about whining and fooling yourself into thinking that's gonna stop the whining you whine so much about.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
Humans are nothing more than profitable dirt for giant corporations to trample over for the almighty shareholders. Hail Corporate!

User Info: BehemothBlade

BehemothBlade
1 month ago#29
@Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
You DONT HAVE TO BUY IT

Then why do they exist?

User Info: EmoBanger69

EmoBanger69
1 month ago#30
Idk about all these people saying it's not p2w . but last time I checkd the best DMR, and also the best assqult rifle in the game are MTX exclusive... so that's p2w, also having to grind for the right HTI or 516 you want in a GR game is just atrocious.

In some interview it was blatantly said they have the loot system to entice people to continue to play daily because having loot makes people feel like they're "progressing" every day.

Alternatively that means that couldn't come up with enough fun/unique daily missions/rewards to keep players interested to they made you want to grind instead.

And then they make guns that are better than what you can farm for and lock them behind a pay wall.

The mental gymnastics people do to tryband even remotely justify that nonsense is silly
  1. Boards
  2. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint
  3. How bad is the microtransaction?
  • Post New Message