This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I took my kids to Drag Queen Story Hour at a church today.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 weeks ago#1
It was hands down the most positive interaction I've had with a church or with Christianity in quite a while.

It was a lovely, kid-centric, friendly time. The kids had a blast, the Queen was great. Overall it was a great reminder that all the conflict and hostility we see in the news surrounding Christianity and LGBT issues isn't the whole story. There are churches out there that are still interested in being inclusive and spreading love.

There were protestors, of course, but the church was really good about keeping things safe, and protecting the kids. The protestors were so angry though, and I can't figure out why. Had they seen what actually went on today, I wonder if they'd have felt the same. There was so little for one to actually get mad about, let alone to scream at strangers over.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: CoyoteTheGreat

CoyoteTheGreat
4 weeks ago#2
Eventually these protestors are going to get violent over this like they did over abortion. There will be firebombings and beatings and shootings over this, with the sort of hatred that social conservatives are working up over it.
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata..

kozlo100
4 weeks ago#3
CoyoteTheGreat posted...
Eventually these protestors are going to get violent over this like they did over abortion. There will be firebombings and beatings and shootings over this, with the sort of hatred that social conservatives are working up over it.

I hope not, and thankfully this event was nowhere near that level of hate yet. But even then, these are kids. At what point is yelling at kids what Jesus wanted, much less doing violence against them?

Still though, I'd rather focus on the positive aspects of this event. It was inclusive from all sides. The queen obviously kept it age appropriate for the audience, but also didn't reign in the drag aspect, so the kids got to see that this was a normal thing that normal people do. And it was fine. The kids weren't confused or upset or any of those other things folks get afraid of. It was just a good story hour with a pretty lady in a glamorous dress who looked like a Queen. And that's the point.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
4 weeks ago#4
kozlo100 posted...
The protestors were so angry though, and I can't figure out why.

Really? I kind of find that hard to believe. I would have thought that any random person on the street would be aware of why a certain demographic would want to angrily protest such an event.

All it takes is a knowledge of the existence of that certain demographic.

kozlo100 posted...
But even then, these are kids. At what point is yelling at kids

I assume the kids were presumably accompanied by adults. "Yelling at kids", while technically true, seems misleading. I would guess that the main "targets" would be the parents of these children.

After all, you said "I took my kids...", which could mean that you simply drove them to their destination, or that going was your choice in the first place.

so the kids got to see that this was a normal thing that normal people do

I mean if your definition of "normal" is "people do/are this", then yeah. Kind of waters down the meaning of "normal", though.

User Info: DeadlyNinjaBees

DeadlyNinjaBees
3 weeks ago#5
Drag Queens are some of the most entertaining peeps you could know.
I'd be interested in meeting a Christian Drag Queen. Big Ru Paul's Drag Race fan right here.
Looking forward to the UK season.
Soi Disantra.

kozlo100
3 weeks ago#6
OrangeWizard posted...
Really? I kind of find that hard to believe. I would have thought that any random person on the street would be aware of why a certain demographic would want to angrily protest such an event.

I do understand why they would protest the idea of the event, what I'm saying is that if those same people had seen the reality of what went on in the room, I have a hard time seeing how they could retain such vitriol.

OrangeWizard posted...
I would guess that the main "targets" would be the parents of these children.

You'd really freaking hope so, wouldn't you? Unfortunately that hasn't always proven to be the case at this church. I didn't have a problem keeping my kids from being yelled at this time, but there was a group there definitely trying to do that. I have to guess as a scare tactic, in that if they make it unsafe for the kids, the parents won't bring them.

OrangeWizard posted...
I mean if your definition of "normal" is "people do/are this", then yeah. Kind of waters down the meaning of "normal", though.

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at there, but I think 'normal' should be a pretty broad term.

User Info: TheGrowlanser

TheGrowlanser
3 weeks ago#7
kozlo100 posted...
It was hands down the most positive interaction I've had with a church or with Christianity in quite a while.

It was a lovely, kid-centric, friendly time. The kids had a blast, the Queen was great. Overall it was a great reminder that all the conflict and hostility we see in the news surrounding Christianity and LGBT issues isn't the whole story. There are churches out there that are still interested in being inclusive and spreading love.

Then you don't even know what Christianity is because that is not a Christian church, nothing about that is Christian at all. Absolute madness.
You never fight against justice.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

kozlo100
3 weeks ago#8
TheGrowlanser posted...
Then you don't even know what Christianity is because that is not a Christian church, nothing about that is Christian at all. Absolute madness.

It's certainly possible that I don't understand Christianity. Let me ask you this though: What do you think happened in that room that day that was so wrong or harmful?
(message deleted)

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
3 weeks ago#10
kozlo100 posted...
TheGrowlanser posted...

It's certainly possible that I don't understand Christianity. Let me ask you this though: What do you think happened in that room that day that was so wrong or harmful?

I don't know the content of said event, but from a general point of view, encouraging gender fluidity is something that is contrary to what we believe is God's creation model. Depending on the purpose of the story time event, it seems odd that a church would host something which would confuse that original intent/vision.

==============

Do I believe that we should be more compassionate to those we deem to be "sinners?" Yes. But this - from my general understanding - seem to a bit much. If I had a church, this is certainly not something I'd do.

==============

Why is it "harmful," from a believing perspective? In short, because it treads dangerously close to violating Mark 9:42. Again, this is completely dependent upon the content of the event in question.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I took my kids to Drag Queen Story Hour at a church today.
  • Post New Message